Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, so the only difference is instead of pulling power from your PV, they pull from ESS (which could be when you are not generating PV). Paltry NEM credits aren't really worth it seeing as the TrueUp rate at the end of your 12 month period is so low that in the end if you over generate, you'll be paid a few pennies per kWH (essentially free). For me, I'd rather have any excess generation saved for my use, and considering it's summer time, with AC usage, I'm having to dip into the grid anyway.
Yep, going through this now with my change to the battery plan. If I have too much, I will invite neighbors over to charge their EV's for free

Reactions: Tim-in-CA
Well it is not free from what it looks like... You just get your normal TOU NEM credits. Now if the VPP hour is not during your peak times you will likely get less credit if you then need to use your solar more during peak vs exporting to grid.

I am only a little bit surprised. I mentioned earlier in this thread I would be surprised if it was much more than NEM credits + a small payment of < $100 per year per powerwall or something. I am surprised there is not some token payment of $50-60 a powerwall + nem credits, but I was fairly comfortable that there was no way they were actually going to "pay something" that would be worth it.

The benefit is as I mentioned earlier:

tesla virtual power plant post.JPG

Reactions: h2ofun
No it is not!!! Some of use did not get ITC wict SGIP! And the rules say we can charge from the grid, they will just only keep their head in the sand.

My opinion on what should happen with this is, people who are getting powerwalls "for free" through SGIP should "have" to participate in this and any other "help the grid" program that is rolled out, since "california" is paying for their storage, not them. I am aware that this would likely not be the position you would have, though.

No it is not!!! Some of use did not get ITC wict SGIP! And the rules say we can charge from the grid, they will just only keep their head in the sand.
I just edited my post to say I think it might be PUC. Either way, that's just Tesla following regulations but I agree that the rules are wonky. I think that VPP is a whole new ballgame and rules should be adjusted.

• Disagree
Reactions: cali8484
My opinion on what should happen with this is, people who are getting powerwalls "for free" through SGIP should "have" to participate in this and any other "help the grid" program that is rolled out, since "california" is paying for their storage, not them. I am aware that this would likely not be the position you would have, though.
I would fully support this is I can grid charge!! Sign me up

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Since I start running 100% off batteries at 3pm, how would this program change anything I do right now?

And with my AC use, and 3 batteries, I drain them to like 15% with just my own use.
If all of that A/C usage that is draining those Powerwalls is during Peak already, then you wouldn't benefit at all from enrolling (assuming you don't want to go below 15%), and the public good for your participation would be low to zero.

If some of that A/C usage is during Part Peak, then enrolling would cause you to be a net exporter of ESS energy during the events, which would reimburse you at the higher NEM rate of Peak, presumably curtailing your Part-Peak on-site ESS offset and increasing your Part-Peak grid usage. So you'd make pennies on that arbitrage, but it would also be a public good.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: alexguichet
If all of that A/C usage that is draining those Powerwalls is during Peak already, then you wouldn't benefit at all from enrolling (assuming you don't want to go below 15%), and the public good for your participation would be low to zero.

If some of that A/C usage is during Part Peak, then enrolling would cause you to be a net exporter of ESS energy during the events, which would reimburse you at the higher NEM rate of Peak, presumably curtailing your Part-Peak on-site ESS offset and increasing your Part-Peak grid usage. So you'd make pennies on that arbitrage, but it would also be a public good.

Cheers, Wayne
With tou-c, I think there is no part peak. But either way, I do from 3pm on, and need 100% of it for my AC keeping my big house at 72 :)
Now the house batteries do not get drain as much, so some flexibility there.

Has to be a give and take. Give me ability to grid charge, which I need in winter, approve my 30KW of solar, and game on, we can work together.
And if you want to help pay for some more batteries, lets light the place up

Knowing something about the CPUC, there is a heavy, burdensome process to to me make rate changes along the lines of what we would like to see - 6 months to a year or two.

Taking this on as a public good helps us out now for this summer and essentially becomes a pilot test for the concept. Maybe they only get one in ten powerwall owners, but that s enough to show value and test the concept out. Later, incentives may appear after a full process through the CPUC.

So, I'm also going to try this out. Doesn't look like it will affect my financials to any significant degree, and I'm good with helping my community, even at a minor cost.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I suppose it depends on how you're using your powerwall. I don't think there's much of a change if you are already spending power back to the grid as part of an NEM agreement.

In my case, the plan was to use a battery during peak hours where rates are highest ($0.56) so from 4-9pm.

I guess a concern is if I'm set to send up to 50% of the powerwall energy during 4-9pm and it hits 50% at 6pm, then that means I'm now having to go to the grid for power (at the highest rates) or start draining the batteries earlier and may not have enough to last the last 3 hours of peak rates and less during a grid shutdown.