Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Virtual Power Plant in CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I see that now looking at the warranty again. I was thrown off by the 70% at 10 years. I hope these things aren't junkers after 38 MWh's. If they are $0.26 KWh for storage is more than the PG&E E-1 rate for energy, DOH!
37.8 MWh is consistent with the 10 year warranty. If you divide 37.8 MWh by 13.5 kWh (Powerwall capacity) you get EXACTLY 2800 cycles. That equates to an average daily discharge of 77% over 10 years. That is probably consistent with Powerwall usage by net consumers. But, if you believe the Powerwall will last longer than 10 years if used more sparingly, then that equates to about 20 years if only drawn down by an average of 38% daily.

Reactions: Zabe
I'm a net producer so unless they provide compensation beyond NEM credits there isn't a financial incentive for me to participate when compensated ~$0.03/kWh.
Additionally, there is the additional wear on the Powerwalls. The Powerwall 2 is warranted for 37.8 MWh of throughput when used in something other than self consumption/backup mode. I realize that most use the Powerwalls in self consumption/backup mode but this gives you an idea of the Powerwall design life.
Assuming that it costs ~$10,000 to replace a Powerwall that means it costs $0.26 for every kWh of throughput. So, to make if financially viable, the compensation would need to cover the price the utility is charging you for the power during that period plus the efficiency loss plus the additional wear on the Powerwall.

Having said all that I may participate if it is only a rare event that the utility needs to draw from the Powerwalls to do my part to prevent a blackout. But I'd need more compensation for me to participate if it were to be a common occurrence.
I also wonder how this would work out for the grid in this "rare event". I would think this would be in the Fall when the weather was hot. Just the time you need your Powerwalls to power your home's AC. That is when you are most likely to need the power and when using that power could offload the grid at a critical time.

I also wonder how this would work out for the grid in this "rare event". I would think this would be in the Fall when the weather was hot. Just the time you need your Powerwalls to power your home's AC. That is when you are most likely to need the power and when using that power could offload the grid at a critical time.
Every VPP and utility could handle this differently, but for the VPP I am part of with our utility National Grid here in the east, during an “event” the power reported as delivered to the VPP includes my home load.

In the Tesla app there is a category called Grid Services in addition to Grid, Home, Solar and Powerwall. The Grid Services amount during an event is the amount being exported to the grid plus what is being consumed by the home.

Reactions: VickiSoCal
Every VPP and utility could handle this differently, but for the VPP I am part of with our utility National Grid here in the east, during an “event” the power reported as delivered to the VPP includes my home load.

In the Tesla app there is a category called Grid Services in addition to Grid, Home, Solar and Powerwall. The Grid Services amount during an event is the amount being exported to the grid plus what is being consumed by the home.
I.e. total battery output, right?

x
I don't see it. I imagine that this will show when you turn VPP on and agree?
I think the California VPP is different than the ones that Tesla has set up elsewhere. I did opt in and do not have the grid services entry. There is a possibility it will shop up after the first event, of course. If I look at what's returned from the API for my Powerwalls, there is a flag called grid_services_enabled that is false, but energy_service_self_scheduling_enabled is true.

Reactions: MJ_CA_2019
I.e. total battery output, right?
More than total battery output. In a weird way, during an event the battery power goes solely to the grid. I imagine this is so they can predict the output and estimate the length of time for that output to stabilize their VPP.

During an event power used by the home actually comes from the grid. Maybe it’s an artifact of Tesla’s app animation? Solar during an event will go to the house first, then the rest to grid services.

On a day that has been designated a grid services day, the solar will go 100% to charging the batteries. Once the batteries are charged then the solar go to house with excess to the grid until the event starts.

Screenshot 2021-06-29 at 4.38.24 PM.png

For our VPP, events are limited to 2-3 hour periods between 2-7pm. I’m sure each VPP will be different especially from what I have seen releases in CA so far.

So we are exporting power getting NEM credits and VPP credits, but also purchasing power during an event. It’s weird, but the economics work out since the VPP credits are more than 10x the price per kWh (although they price it in average kw sustained per event, not kWh). And the VPP credit is cash.

I think the California VPP is different than the ones that Tesla has set up elsewhere. I did opt in and do not have the grid services entry. There is a possibility it will shop up after the first event, of course. If I look at what's returned from the API for my Powerwalls, there is a flag called grid_services_enabled that is false, but energy_service_self_scheduling_enabled is true.
It does look like the CA VPP is not the same as the grid services program in other places. For one example of a difference, with grid services we do not get to control the reserve level of a battery during the event. It is set to 20% during an event and will override a user set reserve. Once the event is over, the reserve goes back to the user set amount.

So we are exporting power getting NEM credits and VPP credits, but also purchasing power during an event. It’s weird, but the economics work out since the VPP credits are more than 10x the price per kWh (although they price it in average kw sustained per event, not kWh). And the VPP credit is cash.
And will that 10x stay there at annual true up or revert back to wholesale price? And if you are in a CCA as in Monterey county, will it still be 10x from the CCA?

And will that 10x stay there at annual true up or revert back to wholesale price? And if you are in a CCA as in Monterey county, will it still be 10x from the CCA?
Have no idea about other VPPs, but Connected Solutions is for 5 years after sign-up in New England unless the owner requests out before that time is up. We are also part of a CCA and that is not affected or changed in any way by being part of the VPP.

You mean that 10 years is it or just the warranty is 10 years? Are there batteries out there yet that are 10 years old?
perhaps it will last a longer?
The Powerwalls have a 10 year warranty that they will have at least 70% capacity. The degradation of batteries after that point seems to be steep from some battery charts that I have seen, so to keep the same amount of installed capacity they will need to be refreshed at a faster rate than the attached PV.

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj
Mods, can we make this a sticky?

Even though I tend to read most threads, the best way to get our (I am not the only mod in this section, just the most visible) attention is to report the post with whatever request you want to make.

I have been thinking about either making this thread a sticky, or, moving it to the CA subforum since this is a CA specific topic. I decided against moving it to the CA subforum even though its a CA specific topic, because its also a direct powerwall topic.

I have been waffling back and forth on making it a sticky thread, as the activity on the thread itself is keeping it on the first page, but I dont have strong feelings either way.

Would you all want this thread stickied?

Even though I tend to read most threads, the best way to get our (I am not the only mod in this section, just the most visible) attention is to report the post with whatever request you want to make.

I have been thinking about either making this thread a sticky, or, moving it to the CA subforum since this is a CA specific topic. I decided against moving it to the CA subforum even though its a CA specific topic, because its also a direct powerwall topic.

I have been waffling back and forth on making it a sticky thread, as the activity on the thread itself is keeping it on the first page, but I dont have strong feelings either way.

I signed up for VPP to see what it's all about. Until we have an event I'm not sure if we will have any more substantive conversations.
I'm ok with it not being a sticky because it's pretty easy to find once we have an event to discuss.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin

Normally stickies are not needed. If a topic is popular enough, it will remain on top. If it eventually gets buried, then it ran it's course. In this case this is a topic that will keep evolving over the next few months as more information becomes available, even after a possible few weeks of inactivity. People will look here to add more to the topic (such as NEM rate information which isn't currently known). If it is buried it may not be easy to find.

I know for me I will be waiting to to determine if I should try this out after we get more information. I would love to search this thread as one of many resources. Being a sticky will make it easier to find.

And for others who may not be aware of this topic, being a sticky may reduce the likelihood of a duplicate being created.

Hmm, it does not appear that I can back up my claim that the degradation rate increases after the 70%/10 year point. The Tesla automotive battery data is showing a relatively flat curve vs miles driven, but there is also a very wide range in the data set. I guess we will see what happens over time, but then that data will be out of data with new improved batteries in later generations.

Hmm, it does not appear that I can back up my claim that the degradation rate increases after the 70%/10 year point. The Tesla automotive battery data is showing a relatively flat curve vs miles driven, but there is also a very wide range in the data set. I guess we will see what happens over time, but then that data will be out of data with new improved batteries in later generations.
At least we'll still have the solar operating, hopefully, and it will not be a great tragedy if the batter is partially charged until we can decide the next step, unlike the main inverter going belly up. :)