Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision & Notice of No USS on New Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed order for new MSLR tonight and received following notice that was not available until deposit placed, although it is not anything I did not already know after the rabbit hole I went down on this forum prior to purchase.
This discussion board is a terrific resource, putting me in position to make an informed decision.

Here is the notice from Tesla after purchase:

1687141995278.png
1687141995278.png

So does AutoPilot/FSD use USS?

I’m still waiting for my Matrix Headlights (introduced 15 months ago) to do something better than standard headlights. Not that it’s as critical as USS it’s a pattern.

Could be a long wait for this camera based USS substitute.

I was fine with the Radar Delete because I tested FSD beta that disabled it before I bought a car with no Radar. And I saw no degradation.

But no USS with zero evidence that they can equal or best it is a tough sell. I don’t think I could buy a Tesla today. And I have bought 3 and do intend to buy another but I just could not today. Not until they prove it and I can test it.

And if you are one that replaces their car every 3 years and it takes a year. Now 1/3 of the time owning it, it’s crippled.

Now if it had a camera in the front bumper, maybe two. I might think they have a chance in hell of pulling it off.

USS make parking in my garage much easier but more precisely, it allows me to store more “stuff” toward the back of my garage bay.
No USS and Tesla Vision proves useless?
Solution: move stuff from back of garage bay for ample room to park.

Last week I also placed a $1,000 deposit ($500 down + $500 delivery) with Tesla.com for a 2020 MSLR with 18k miles for $65k.

But I decided yesterday (after reading through this discussion board) that buying new ($20,000 more over 7 years of financing) made more sense to me as I will receive the following:

$7,500 discount for inventory vehicle;
3 years of supercharging;
Full new vehicle warranty;
No rash/blemishes on used wheels or paint;
Pristine interior in preferred color combo;
H4 (🤞);
Better cameras (per, Not A Tesla App);
HD radar system (per, Not A Tesla App);
The hope that Musk knows WTF he is doing.

My risk in buying into Musk’s vision seems to be a loss of storage space in my garage, hopefully a temporary loss.

Am I missing any crucial detail, because I still have a $1,000 deposit on the 2020 MSLR with only 18k miles on the odometer in the exact color combination of my 2021 MSLR that was declared a total loss last week? It would be an easy solution to my total loss problem but not without its own risks of buying a 3 year old used Tesla, although that risk can be managed with an extended warranty.

The sales rep says I can pick up the new vehicle today whereas I haven’t received any notice yet about when the pre-owned will be available beyond the Tesla App telling me to pay the balance due to avoid “delivery delays,”
so I’m supposed to buy a pre-owned vehicle without even seeing a photograph of the vehicles exterior (wheels) or interior or complete the standoff and pay when I go pick-up the car?

That last point is another reason I decided to put $250 deposit on new vehicle.

Finally, sales rep on new vehicle said he believes/hopes (no guarantee) he can get my $1,000 deposit applied to new purchase.

USS make parking in my garage much easier but more precisely, it allows me to store more “stuff” toward the back of my garage bay.
No USS and Tesla Vision proves useless?
Solution: move stuff from back of garage bay for ample room to park.

Last week I also placed a $1,000 deposit ($500 down + $500 delivery) with Tesla.com for a 2020 MSLR with 18k miles for $65k.

But I decided yesterday (after reading through this discussion board) that buying new ($20,000 more over 7 years of financing) made more sense to me as I will receive the following:

$7,500 discount for inventory vehicle;
3 years of supercharging;
Full new vehicle warranty;
No rash/blemishes on used wheels or paint;
Pristine interior in preferred color combo;
H4 (🤞);
Better cameras (per, Not A Tesla App);
HD radar system (per, Not A Tesla App);
The hope that Musk knows WTF he is doing.

My risk in buying into Musk’s vision seems to be a loss of storage space in my garage, hopefully a temporary loss.

Am I missing any crucial detail, because I still have a $1,000 deposit on the 2020 MSLR with only 18k miles on the odometer in the exact color combination of my 2021 MSLR that was declared a total loss last week? It would be an easy solution to my total loss problem but not without its own risks of buying a 3 year old used Tesla, although that risk can be managed with an extended warranty.

The sales rep says I can pick up the new vehicle today whereas I haven’t received any notice yet about when the pre-owned will be available beyond the Tesla App telling me to pay the balance due to avoid “delivery delays,”
so I’m supposed to buy a pre-owned vehicle without even seeing a photograph of the vehicles exterior (wheels) or interior or complete the standoff and pay when I go pick-up the car?

That last point is another reason I decided to put $250 deposit on new vehicle.

Finally, sales rep on new vehicle said he believes/hopes (no guarantee) he can get my $1,000 deposit applied to new purchase.
Thoughtful decision making discussion and I think you are making the right call.
I am on my third model S now, sometimes it is 2 steps forward and (hopefully temporary) 1 step back with Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayer
You forgot the 6000 points for being a repeat Tesla buyer and 3 years of free supercharging on the new one
I can investigate further on this discussion board, but I’m really unfamiliar with the 6000 points and what you do with accumulated points.

My only concern with the new vehicle is whether you can adeptly get it into reverse on the fly in a critical moment, like pulling into an intersection for a good view only to find out a car is approaching.

I guess, practicing with the touch screen application would make the process more efficient

So the points are loyalty points you can use to but Tesla Merch. It is an incentive. Also I am on 2023.12.300.1 which added Park Assist which is not as good as USS but to is helpful to park in my garage and avoid curb rash

Reactions: Mayer