Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vision ... The Next AP Hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Custom silicon takes years. For established teams. Maybe they do something with FPGAs but beyond that, it would be 2018 at the earliest for anything truly useful.

I agree, which is why hiring Jim Keller is so intriguing. It is very possible that people who are thinking that AP 2.0 will hit the market soon are going to be disappointed. Bear in mind that these days you can build semi custom silicon with things like ARM processor engines (just like Apple does). Tesla might very well make their own chip, but it may be based on various compute engines/blocks.

The chip guru who built Apple’s Ax microprocessors joins Tesla to lead the Autopilot Hardware Engineering team

I agree, which is why hiring Jim Keller is so intriguing. It is very possible that people who are thinking that AP 2.0 will hit the market soon are going to be disappointed. Bear in mind that these days you can build semi custom silicon with things like ARM processor engines (just like Apple does). Tesla might very well make their own chip, but it may be based on various compute engines/blocks.

The chip guru who built Apple’s Ax microprocessors joins Tesla to lead the Autopilot Hardware Engineering team

Yes but even making an ARM variant require a big tools groups to do compiler and optimization work, unless you are truly just apeing a reference design, and in that case why not buy an SoC? I'd love to be wrong, I often am.

If Mobileye asked Tesla to discontinue their Vision project it means that Tesla's version of autopilot is not ready and probably still in early stages. If it was almost ready to go there would have been no point asking for it to be discontinued.
You're assuming Mobileye has reliable information as to the current status of TeslaVision. Just as likely (if not more) they are simply rolling the dice. Now or never. Just a guess that Tesla isn't ready.

2. The move to radar prominence for Auto-Pilot now seems like it was made out of necessity more than just a natural progression of the system. This makes sense when you consider that up until now it's been pretty apparent Tesla was prepping the cars for stereo cameras (Model X housing) and then suddenly drops the bomb that they think radar can be more accurate.

But they aren't "switching" to radar, they upgraded radar from being a small sub-player, to being a major player along side the camera. Radar still can't see the line markings, etc. so they have to use a camera for that. It just means they have some additional information that can see in different circumstances so they can make better, and safer, decisions now.

From their last earnings call
Recognized as world leader Mobileye has been selected by a wide range of global automotive companies for their production vehicles, including BMW, GM, Volvo, Hyundai, Renault Trucks and more. To date, Mobileye’s technology has been implemented and launched by BMW on multiple production platforms: 5-Series, 6-Series, 7-Series, Volvo S80, S60, XC70, XC60 and V70 models, and GM on the Buick Lucerne, Cadillac DTS and STS.

From their website. Front page.

Recognized as world leader Mobileye has been selected by a wide range of global automotive companies for their production vehicles, including BMW, GM, Volvo, Hyundai, Renault Trucks and more. To date, Mobileye’s technology has been implemented and launched by BMW on multiple production platforms: 5-Series, 6-Series, 7-Series, Volvo S80, S60, XC70, XC60 and V70 models, and GM on the Buick Lucerne, Cadillac DTS and STS.

From their website. Front page.
During their last earnings call (before the "breakup") one of the analysts asked Ziv Avriam to rank his biggest customers and he said Tesla, GM and BMW. So there's that. I also personally believe Tesla was their highest profile customer due to their level of development in using this technology. I would think the web page you referenced underwent significant changes since the recent public back and forth so there's not much value there.

During their last earnings call (before the "breakup") one of the analysts asked Ziv Avriam to rank his biggest customers and he said Tesla, GM and BMW. So there's that. I also personally believe Tesla was their highest profile customer due to their level of development in using this technology. I would think the web page you referenced underwent significant changes since the recent public back and forth so there's not much value there.

Changing your statement from "largest customer" to "highest profile customer" is not cool.

By ranking them as their biggest customer to me that's the same as saying it was their largest. I prefaced my "highest profile" comment as being my personal opinion.
I believe that's correct. They are the highest profile. In terms of unit volume, they're not actually that significant - which is why Mobileye shares are not destroyed. They have a large and compelling business all their own.

Tesla will, IMHO, totally surpass what Mobileye have been doing because they have a totally connected fleet, in addition to a platform where they control all the software. Not just components, but an entire system / ecosystem. Game on!!! Nothing if not extremely exciting for us to watch!

2. The move to radar prominence for Auto-Pilot now seems like it was made out of necessity more than just a natural progression of the system. This makes sense when you consider that up until now it's been pretty apparent Tesla was prepping the cars for stereo cameras (Model X housing) and then suddenly drops the bomb that they think radar can be more accurate.

Or even scarier, what is the improvements in radar mapping were required because Tesla has is required to stop using some feature or capability of the Mobileye due to the divorce? Obviously I hope that isn't true but if it were, we might end up with an AP that isn't as good as what we have now.