Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Charger from Amazon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for explanation. One of the other links says “sold by Tesla, Inc”. Maybe that is better? Either way I appreciate the thorough response

The other one does actually look more like it's Tesla if you hover and then go to the item.

Is there any particular reason why you don't just want to go to Tesla's website? (Shipping is free there as well.) Speed? Amazon return policy?

Reactions: Olle
The other one does actually look more like it's Tesla if you hover and then go to the item.

Is there any particular reason why you don't just want to go to Tesla's website? (Shipping is free there as well.) Speed? Amazon return policy?
Generally speaking, I buy everything from Amazon. Completely fine buying directly from Tesla, however, what I saw appeared to be straight from Tesla fulfilled by Amazon. I am indifferent as long as I get OEM charger. I’m in no hurry, so will most likely go to Tesla. Thanks for the Best Buy idea as well. Just to be clear, when I purchased a car, I will receive zero chargers, correct? Thanks again for all the help.

Ships by Amazon, sold by Tesla, Inc.
Looks like lots of sellers. This is the one I got when I first clicked.

1695158405508.png

when I purchased a car, I will receive zero chargers, correct?
Yup, no mobile or wall connectors. Just a nit: it's a wall connector not a charger. It connects AC electric from your home to the charger inside the car. It's a game changer, never ever go to a gas station again!

PS I've clicked several times on the link you supplied and get a different seller each time.

Looks like lots of sellers. This is the one I got when I first clicked.

View attachment 975336
Doesn't matter. Change of plans. Electrician just told me it would be 5K to install in my house. Says I have all the necessary stuff but need to run it from basement to garage. I'm guessing 30 feet? For that money I am out. Buddy had it done for $1500 but panel was in garage. Learn something new everyday I guess.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Doesn't matter. Change of plans. Electrician just told me it would be 5K to install in my house. Says I have all the necessary stuff but need to run it from basement to garage. I'm guessing 30 feet? For that money I am out. Buddy had it done for $1500 but panel was in garage. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Get a different quote.

Generally speaking, I buy everything from Amazon. Completely fine buying directly from Tesla, however, what I saw appeared to be straight from Tesla fulfilled by Amazon. I am indifferent as long as I get OEM charger. I’m in no hurry, so will most likely go to Tesla. Thanks for the Best Buy idea as well. Just to be clear, when I purchased a car, I will receive zero chargers, correct? Thanks again for all the help.
Correct, the Tesla Model Y (other Tesla vehicles) no longer come with the Tesla Mobile Connector kit. The Mobile Connector is available from Tesla, currently priced at $230 US. The Mobile Connector kit includes the NEMA 5-15 plug adapter (fits a standard 120 receptacle (both 15 and 20 amp receptacle) and the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter (fits the NEMA 14-50R receptacle; 240V, 50 amps (the 14-50R is also used for 240V, 40 amp installations.)

Your new Tesla Model Y will come with the Tesla J1772 charging adapter (this Tesla accessory enables you to charge at any Level 1 or Level2 charging station.) Use the Plugshare app to locate nearby locations where you can charge your Tesla Model Y. Sometimes you can find several hours of free to use Level 2 charging when you park, shop or dine.) Additional J1772 adapters are available from Tesla for $50 US should you lose the adapter or want to keep a spare adapter.

My run is 50' from my basement to my garage. My service is also being upgraded from 100A to 200A. I had a quote for over $13k! I decided to get more quotes, thinking it was a waste of time. I settled on one for $4,600. It was obvious that the first guy didn't want the job, or maybe they thought I was stupid.

Get more quotes!

I also had a service upgrade to 200A to get home charging. The service upgrade, two subpanels to my garages, trenching and burying of lines, the wall connector installed, a 240v outlet in the basement, and nother separate trenched 110v circuit to a backyard playground... $4,400.

To be fair, I think that price was a steal... I don't expect to ever get a deal that good again... but I also think $5k for the wall connector install is highway robbery.

My run is 50' from my basement to my garage. My service is also being upgraded from 100A to 200A. I had a quote for over $13k! I decided to get more quotes, thinking it was a waste of time. I settled on one for $4,600. It was obvious that the first guy didn't want the job, or maybe they thought I was stupid.

Get more quotes!
Thank you. Spoke to a friend who referred me a 3rd year journeyman who told me he would do it for materials plus “x” amount per hour. Comes recommended from a good buddy in construction world. I’m a little leery as he isn’t fully licensed yet, but I will at least meet with him and see what he has to say. I have another friend who is a homebuilder and said he can lend me an electrician for straight cash. Either way it should be much less expensive. Mine can’t be 50 feet but more than 30. Seems to me it should be somewhere between 1200 and $1600.
As I think more and more about my bid today it was a total snow job. Too bad, but live in learn.

I generally get great customer service from Amazon but I have had terrible customer service from Tesla when an item I bought and paid for never got shipped. Others here have reported similar nightmare experiences when the Tesla store screws up.

FWIW: I will often buy returned items from the Amazon warehouse. The stuff is usually in like-new condition. The one time an item arrived damaged, it was easy to return and Amazon replaced it with a new one instantly.

My return rate at Amazon is much lower than the average. I don't know if this is related to the great service I get when I do need to return something.

As others have noted, it's important to make sure you are buying from Amazon and not from a 3rd party. "Shipped by Amazon" usually suffices.

I generally get great customer service from Amazon but I have had terrible customer service from Tesla when an item I bought and paid for never got shipped. Others here have reported similar nightmare experiences when the Tesla store screws up.

FWIW: I will often buy returned items from the Amazon warehouse. The stuff is usually in like-new condition. The one time an item arrived damaged, it was easy to return and Amazon replaced it with a new one instantly.

My return rate at Amazon is much lower than the average. I don't know if this is related to the great service I get when I do need to return something.

As others have noted, it's important to make sure you are buying from Amazon and not from a 3rd party. "Shipped by Amazon" usually suffices.
Oh yeah, I have gotten STELLAR service from Amazon, over a several year period. Good enough service that I will sometimes buy things from amazon (sold by / ships from amazon) even if its not cheaper. The amount of choice means I usually get "the thing I want" after researching something, vs whatever a local store has in stock.

Its interesting to me that we were all seeing different "sold by" links. If I had seen "sold by Tesla, ships from Amazon" from the link the OP put forth, I would have likely just responded "sure, sounds good".

Im not (confident you can purchase from either and be fine). Amazon wont really protect you for goods not either sold by or shipped by them (I buy a decent amount of stuff yearly from amazon and will only buy stuff sold or shipped by amazon because of this).

If (for example) its damaged or used, any return would be through "Ranejatalt" at least if you purchase from the link you shared.

You asked what the difference is, and the main difference would be what happens if its not what you think it is, or it needs warranty, etc. If you purchase from a private party seller you are tacitly accepting those risks, but if you purchase this item, from this seller through amazon, you may not be aware that you are also accepting those risks, and "amazon" is not any different than buying this from ebay or etsy in this instance.
Not only the Wall Point but any aftermarket item, if Tesla sell it, that's the one I choose. I had an issue with the Wall Point which Tesla addressed with a replacement.

Why risk it? Buy from Tesla.

I had a nightmare with Amazon when a expensive item did not arrive. They had no proof of delivery and yet it took weeks of back and forth to get it sorted.
The lesson : Both Tesla and Amazon do a good job for something a little short of 100% of the time. It's the exceptional
" nightmare" that gets the coverage.
And yet, where my car is concerned, I feel happier dealing direct.

I had a nightmare with Amazon when a expensive item did not arrive. They had no proof of delivery and yet it took weeks of back and forth to get it sorted.
The lesson : Both Tesla and Amazon do a good job for something a little short of 100% of the time. It's the exceptional
" nightmare" that gets the coverage.
And yet, where my car is concerned, I feel happier dealing direct.
The world is not black and white. It is all shades of gray. The nightmare with the Tesla shop is that it's almost impossible to get in touch with anyone to help you when something goes wrong. OTOH, most problems I've had with Amazon were quickly resolved and when I needed to speak with a human I easily could. For me, Amazon is at the top with customer service while Tesla is at the bottom. IMO this is mostly due to Tesla's exponential growth.

The Tesla shop provided one of the worst customer service experiences I've ever had. After I bought my car, Tesla forgot to send me the paperwork I needed to register it. There had been some other big screw ups so I was worried this would be another one. After days and days of trying, when I finally got through to a competent human who was willing to help me, they resolved the registration issue and also resolved the issue of the part from the Tesla shop that was never shipped.

In contrast, the first thing I ever bought from AliExpress was a fancy cpu chip that was never shipped. There was a delay but they had a system in place to handle this and I eventually got my money back without a lot of effort on my part. AFAIK, the Tesla shop has no system in place for dealing with problems. So if anything goes wrong it will be a nightmare.

I'm not surprised you ran into a problem when the shipping company failed to deliver but this is hardly Amazon's fault. In my experience it is very rare for a package to never get delivered although I have received packages meant for others and a few times my package got sent to a neighbor's house.

If Amazon had failed to ship your item, I am confident your problem would have been resolved almost instantly. Getting a refund for an expensive item lost by the shipping company would probably be an ordeal regardless of who you bought the item from. Shipping companies have started doing a much better job of routinely providing proof of delivery so this sort of thing should be less of a problem going forward.