Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a weird one last week. My new Model S has a weak antenna where clicking the button on the Gen 3 wall connector doesn’t open the charge port consistently. I had the same issue on my Gen 2 with this new car (no issue on the Model 3).

Anyway, I was furiously clicking the button on the Gen 3 while pointing it at the charge port (yes, I know you can use the app or press the flap!), and got the three-flash red lights on the housing. Did this a couple of times (charger not plugged in, of course - just pointed at the charge port). It flashed 3x red, and then went back to green.

Probably a weird edge-case bug, but weird anyway!
It's because clicking the button 5 times (or maybe it's 10?) causes the wall connector to reboot and enable it's management WiFi network for configuration. You can either do that or cycle the breaker which feeds it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
It's because clicking the button 5 times (or maybe it's 10?) causes the wall connector to reboot and enable it's management WiFi network for configuration. You can either do that or cycle the breaker which feeds it.
Its actually HOLDING the button for five seconds that does the reboot. I'm not sure if multiple presses are counted as a continuous press, but its certainly a good possibility.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
Hmmm. I know holding it down does that, but the three red blinking lights don’t show when you hold the button down do they? I thought just the green started pulsing.

Since my earlier post on this thread, my WC has started having the 3 blinking red light/dropping amps issues. I called Tesla last week and after a quick diagnosis, they are sending me the new 24' Gen 3 charger! Which is awesome because I originally ordered a 24' Gen 2, but was delivered an 18' Gen 3.

Hopefully the new hardware fixes the overheating gremlins.

Sad to report that I am joining the list of red three blink Gen 3 Wall Connector issues. I have had it for almost 2 years without issue until yesterday. Tried uploading new firmware, said it was successful, did not work. Tried breaker off and on, did not work. Noticeably, the Tesla app had already registered the error so it was very easy to request mobile service, which is now scheduled to come out on Wednesday afternoon.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Sad to report that I am joining the list of red three blink Gen 3 Wall Connector issues. I have had it for almost 2 years without issue until yesterday. Tried uploading new firmware, said it was successful, did not work. Tried breaker off and on, did not work. Noticeably, the Tesla app had already registered the error so it was very easy to request mobile service, which is now scheduled to come out on Wednesday afternoon.
What revision HPWC? Must be pre-G.

Tesla service can work on the HPWC? Usually they defer that to the energy department.

Update on this: service messages within the Tesla app indicate that this is not able to be looked at by Mobile Service, and to call the number for HPWC support or email directly. Tried calling the number on my short lunch break and it was a 15+ minute wait. Will try again after work. Ugh.

Update on this: service messages within the Tesla app indicate that this is not able to be looked at by Mobile Service, and to call the number for HPWC support or email directly. Tried calling the number on my short lunch break and it was a 15+ minute wait. Will try again after work. Ugh.
Okay, here's where this ended: took a 21 minute phone call (on hold for about 7 minutes). New HPWC being sent out to me (24', so 6 extra feet from what I currently had), and service guy said it should just snap on to the current framing and be pretty easy to install (no electrician needed). It was a fair amount of time before we got there, though. He pulled all the recent charging logs from my car and asked a decent amount of questions. Eventually stated that the charging handle must have had some overheating wiring in it. Covered by warranty, so replaced for free. I do have to send the old one back to be recycled.

Reactions: brkaus and kayak1
It is easy to just replace the unit. No need to replace the backplate, which is very difficult. The front just snaps in after removing some screws. Just turn off the breaker and test to make sure it is off at the unit itself before starting Then recommission the unit following the instructions. Done.

Reactions: Ml007
It is easy to just replace the unit. No need to replace the backplate, which is very difficult. The front just snaps in after removing some screws. Just turn off the breaker and test to make sure it is off at the unit itself before starting Then recommission the unit following the instructions. Done.
Yup. Takes under 2 mins. 4 screws, two top/two bottom, lift unit off wall. Place new unit on wall. Attach 4 screws. Done. So easy. As @DerbyDave stated, just switch off breaker first.

Yup. Takes under 2 mins. 4 screws, two top/two bottom, lift unit off wall. Place new unit on wall. Attach 4 screws. Done. So easy. As @DerbyDave stated, just switch off breaker first.
Good time to check to make sure that all of the connections are still torqued down. (Please double make sure the breaker is off. If you have other people around lock out tag/out would be your friend).

Final update for me on this: just received the Gen 3 wall connector version G from FedEx. As others have said, very simple install physically. A bit strange on the WiFi connection bit, because once I uploaded the latest firmware for it, the connection page just spun in a circle and there was no way to see the details, set amperage, etc. Tried resetting breakers, connecting to WiFi again, nothing.