Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

serendipitous

Sep 10, 2019
Maryland, USA
I had a weird one last week. My new Model S has a weak antenna where clicking the button on the Gen 3 wall connector doesn’t open the charge port consistently. I had the same issue on my Gen 2 with this new car (no issue on the Model 3).

Anyway, I was furiously clicking the button on the Gen 3 while pointing it at the charge port (yes, I know you can use the app or press the flap!), and got the three-flash red lights on the housing. Did this a couple of times (charger not plugged in, of course - just pointed at the charge port). It flashed 3x red, and then went back to green.

Probably a weird edge-case bug, but weird anyway!
It's because clicking the button 5 times (or maybe it's 10?) causes the wall connector to reboot and enable it's management WiFi network for configuration. You can either do that or cycle the breaker which feeds it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
It's because clicking the button 5 times (or maybe it's 10?) causes the wall connector to reboot and enable it's management WiFi network for configuration. You can either do that or cycle the breaker which feeds it.
Its actually HOLDING the button for five seconds that does the reboot. I'm not sure if multiple presses are counted as a continuous press, but its certainly a good possibility.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Hmmm. I know holding it down does that, but the three red blinking lights don’t show when you hold the button down do they? I thought just the green started pulsing.

bhorn

Apr 10, 2020
AL Gulf Coast
Since my earlier post on this thread, my WC has started having the 3 blinking red light/dropping amps issues. I called Tesla last week and after a quick diagnosis, they are sending me the new 24' Gen 3 charger! Which is awesome because I originally ordered a 24' Gen 2, but was delivered an 18' Gen 3.

Hopefully the new hardware fixes the overheating gremlins.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC