Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My WC3 was replaced late Sept with the same issue that everyone is facing. After I reinstalled the replacement unit on Sept. I noticed that the firmware is older version 0.8.58. Soon after I set it up and running. I blocked the wifi on the WC3, so it won't get update. So far, I have not had any issue since and still running 0.8.58. I probably won't unblock wifi until the real issue was resolved. My WC3 HW is the F version.

Yes, it was a 5-minute job to dismount the old unit and snap the new one in place. So far it works fine at 48A on firmware 0.8.58.

Still working okay? I've been having the issues for a month or so now. And our garage is really cold, and the cable is not more warm to the touch than a cell phone charger. It starts at 48A (on 60A circuit), and within an hour, drops to 24A with the three red lights.

I checked and I'm on 0.8.58+g2f475f6c93fd79. Is that the latest? It doesn't seem to have pushed anything else. I'll try Tesla tomorrow.

I re-provisioned the TWC to check all the settings and verified it's connected to WiFi okay, and also is configured for 60A. Still having the issues. My electrician basically said it's Tesla's issue, but I might have them come out and check anyway.

My WC3 was replaced late Sept with the same issue that everyone is facing. After I reinstalled the replacement unit on Sept. I noticed that the firmware is older version 0.8.58. Soon after I set it up and running. I blocked the wifi on the WC3, so it won't get update. So far, I have not had any issue since and still running 0.8.58. I probably won't unblock wifi until the real issue was resolved. My WC3 HW is the F version.

So I called the number mentioned before, and it was a quick 10 minute talk - they are pushing firmware 1.4.2 to the Wall Connector, which they say should resolve the issue. Within two minutes of the phone call ending, it was pushing the update. I'm on 0.8.58 so that's quite a jump in versions. Looking forward to it fixing the issue!

The latest firmware helped in my case, but didn't fully fix the problem. I still see the charge current drop slightly in warmer temperatures. In cooler temperatures it looks fine. I'd still prefer to be charging at the full rate, so I'm not settling with this fix just yet.

The latest firmware helped in my case, but didn't fully fix the problem. I still see the charge current drop slightly in warmer temperatures. In cooler temperatures it looks fine. I'd still prefer to be charging at the full rate, so I'm not settling with this fix just yet.

Is it on 1.4.2?

When I do this

Unfortunately this method got messed up with a previous firmware update. The only way to get the full configuration menu is to connect directly to the Wall Connector's WiFi network.

To have the Wall Connector broadcast its SSID again, hold the button on the charging handle for 5 seconds.

Once connected, just type the URL address: http://192.168.92.1 into your web browser.

I'm experiencing the same issue with the 3 red blinking lights and overheating, I just called Tesla and it seems that I have the latest firmware installed and they will send me a new wall charger because mine is defective. It looks like some they can fix with the firmware update and others have to replace completely, well not completely because the Tesla tech said they're going to send me just the face plate and that it was not necessary to replace back plate or do anything with the electricity.

I have the exact same issue as well.. I first saw it a month ago and thought it was just some random glitch but now its happening after 30 min of charging.. my software seems to be latest version and all electrical connections are fine.. house is brand new, run to main panel is super short and I'm just running a 50a breaker so 40a output.. surprisingly when the light started blinking the charge went down to 34A so little less than original charge amount.. nonetheless this is still problem for us as we need to make sure this thing is charging as fast as possible.

It January 24 and 35F outside, around 55F in my garage. Updated our 2 cars to 2020.48.35.5, and now both of my G3 WC are giving me a triple red blink with error codes in the car. Until today, I never bothered to hook them up to the internet (couldn't find the instructions with the passwords until I really looked); I have today and find they are both at FW 0.8.4 I don't have the option to "update firmware" and their respective web pages. Is there a way to force update other than calling Tesla in CA?

What gauge wire are you running from the main panel to the charger?

I have the exact same issue as well.. I first saw it a month ago and thought it was just some random glitch but now its happening after 30 min of charging.. my software seems to be latest version and all electrical connections are fine.. house is brand new, run to main panel is super short and I'm just running a 50a breaker so 40a output.. surprisingly when the light started blinking the charge went down to 34A so little less than original charge amount.. nonetheless this is still problem for us as we need to make sure this thing is charging as fast as possible.