Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector gen3 overheating fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, this happens to me too. Albeit on my Juicebox, not Tesla WC:

View attachment 666731

This happens due to Sentry Mode being on. Sentry mode uses roughly ~250W of power constantly, so after 30 mins, it has discharged enough for the car to request a charge to top up again. Once I turned Sentry Mode off, this behavior went away.
Interesting, thanks for the tip! I’m 99.9% sure that sentry isn’t on unless it’s turned itself back on after an update, but I’ll check tomorrow. I still need to call Tesla to see what they say about it, but as an intermediate fix, I’ve implemented an automation in home assistant to turn charging off when SOC goes above 79% and it turns off then and does not cycle anymore. It works, but I really don’t want to use that as a crutch, but the fact that you are seeing it with a juice box and I’m seeing it with a wall connector makes me think it might be something with the car/software… anyway, sorry this has drifted a bit off topic of this original thread, but thanks for all the input!

I appreciate all the info in this thread. I had a mid 2020 wall connector with the part number ending in -F. I recently moved it up to use 48amp and noticed the overheat and charging reduced message which led me to this thread. I had been charging at 32 amps for almost a year with no issues. I updated the wiring and breaker and got it to 48amp and within a month starting getting the charging reduced message and the blinking red light on the unit.

I suspected my wall unit was a bad one (after first rechecking the wiring and connections) and called and they immediately checked out my info and are sending a new faceplate to me and asked me to send the old faceplate back. Hardest part of the process was figuring out what number to call! I had to work a bit to find the number it is currently 888-765-2489. The options were quite confusing, but I eventually got it right as options: 1, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3. They may change a bit, but you eventually hear a wall charging support line.
A lot of good input on this thread. I appreciate it as well.

I have an August 2020 "-F" model Gen3 wall charger on a 60 amp circuit. It had been doing the "3 red blinks and green streaming" for a few months now, as we came out of winter, cutting my default charge rate from 31 amps to 24. 24 was fast enough for my needs, and we were busy, and I just let it go for a month or so... "it was working."

Well this week life got a little easier, and I decided to try to fix it. I confirmed that the Wall Charger was on my WiFi (I did not check what firmware; I just assumed these things were *hands-off* and if it was attached to my WiFi it was "online" and getting regular updates).... and so I power cycled it by throwing the breaker.

It didn't come back on. Zero blinking lights.

I called my electrician. He came out last night and looked at it. Among other things he confirmed:
Line 1 to ground: 119.5 volts
Line 2 to ground: 122.2 volts
Line 1 to Line 2: 239.9 volts

When he screwed it back together and we threw the breaker? It went into a 6 blinking lights mode....

I've e-mailed [email protected] but it sounds like a faster path to the finish line would be to call the number provided above so I will try that tonight.

Reactions: duunoit
Update: contacted Tesla to verify if my firmware is current to which they stated I do have the latest firmware. I’ve come to the conclusion being that I live in Arizona my garage is pretty hot so I would assume that was the issue.
I just got off the phone with Tesla and they are sending me a new unit I live in Texas so it is also very hot. They stated that they had some units with a defective part and are warranty out the unit lead time to receive the new one is 3 weeks.

Hello. I appreciate all the guidance in this thread - I was experiencing the problem described in this thread, so I reached out to Tesla and they issued me a replacement wall charger, which I installed and is now working great.

They sent me a return label for the older, defective wall charger. Does anyone know what would occur if I didn't return it? Anyone else have any experience with this?

Hello. I appreciate all the guidance in this thread - I was experiencing the problem described in this thread, so I reached out to Tesla and they issued me a replacement wall charger, which I installed and is now working great.

They sent me a return label for the older, defective wall charger. Does anyone know what would occur if I didn't return it? Anyone else have any experience with this?
I assume they'll charge you for the wall charger, after a while.

In the early days they didn't require returns of the old one, but after a while they figured out that the overheating charger is still good for 24-32 amps and they sell backplates on their site(assuming they didn't send the entire unit as the replacement).

Reactions: TBrownTX
I assume they'll charge you for the wall charger, after a while.

In the early days they didn't require returns of the old one, but after a while they figured out that the overheating charger is still good for 24-32 amps and they sell backplates on their site(assuming they didn't send the entire unit as the replacement).

That was my assumption as well (that they would charge me after awhile). Figure the mechanism would be via the cc I have on file with Tesla for Supercharging.

They did send the entire unit as a replacement, in fact. I just replaced the front part of the unit with my existing backplate so that I didn't have to do any re-wiring. When looking at the app I use for monitoring my solar battery consumption, I noticed a suspicious drop early in the morning at around 3am. See attached picture. That is what I saw with my previous charger when it was overheating (only more of those). Is that something I should expect, or is that atypical, in your experience?

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 772
is that atypical, in your experience?
That's neither what I'd expect from an overheating HPWC, nor what I would expect from a working HPWC.

The overheating HPWC will drop to 24-40 amps and waver around there, not drop once to 0 for a few minutes and start back up at full power.

A working HPWC would usually stay on at full power until its done charging.

Reactions: tinkererguy
I tried to call the 510-249-2490 Option 2 number like many have said but now it goes to a recording saying you have to call 888-765-2489 for support. Tried to call that number for support with the overheating issue but that number walks you through Tesla Energy Solutions but only talks about powerwall and solar and never gives any option on Wall Connector help. What number is everyone calling to get to tech help for this issue? Thanks

Glad you were able to get through to them !

My "replacement" connector was from the tail end of the old lot, so I am now on my 3rd one. HCS had a replacement out to me in 3 days. Very impressed with the service, not so much with the connector

So should I wait to buy a NEW Gen 3 WC? I have a Clipper Creek HCS-50P and want to sell it when we sell our Volt but I want to get a new WC I can bump up to 48 amps from my current 40 amps. My CC is ROCK steady at 40 amps charging our Tesla and Volt.

Guess I could use the MC at 32 amps if the WC is problematic.

So should I wait to buy a NEW Gen 3 WC? I have a Clipper Creek HCS-50P and want to sell it when we sell our Volt but I want to get a new WC I can bump up to 48 amps from my current 40 amps. My CC is ROCK steady at 40 amps charging our Tesla and Volt.

Another option would be to look for a "new" gen 2 wall connector. They have no problem charging at 48 amps or even up to 80 amps, with the right vehicle and installation.

No need to wait. I'm sure that even if it has trouble at 48 amps, Tesla will replace the HPWC free and quickly. No need to have an electrician around to swap it.

Another overheat issue over here. They pushed a new firmware to it yesterday, charged today, started over heating after 30 minutes, dropped from 40A down to 32A. I called in, and theyre ahipping me a new one, no questions asked. I called 1-888-765-2489 fwiw
Did you ever get an email from Tesla confirming the replacement? I was told within 48 hours I would get an email confirming the replacement unit and should have it in my hand via FedEx within 7 days but I have not seen an email yet. Thanks

Did you ever get an email from Tesla confirming the replacement? I was told within 48 hours I would get an email confirming the replacement unit and should have it in my hand via FedEx within 7 days but I have not seen an email yet. Thanks
I was told the same thing. No Email yet, its been 48 or more hours as well. Im debating calling back to see whats going on. Im in Canada and they told me probably about a week and a half to receive.

I was told the same thing. No Email yet, its been 48 or more hours as well. Im debating calling back to see whats going on. Im in Canada and they told me probably about a week and a half to receive.
Couldn’t edit my post for whatever reason, but as an update, I did get both a return label email and confirmation of new wall connector order this afternoon