Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector Price Drop to $495 from $550 [ordered direct from tesla]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI for any of those in need of one or on the fence.

Dang I want to get another one to put on my wall because it looks so damn cool.

Does this mean out of control inflation is over? Prices are actually coming down?? :oops:

My first initial thought on this (of which I have zero idea at all) was "Oh, I bet they are going to come out with something different in the next couple of months and are clearing inventory".

Of course, tesla sold these for $500 for a long time, and raised the price on them sometime last year (cause reasons, lol).

I guess I should repeat again just to be clear.... I have zero idea if anything new is coming out, I havent researched it, etc etc. I just thought "reduced price on current item in this market = clear inventory for some reason".

Dang I want to get another one to put on my wall because it looks so damn cool.

Does this mean out of control inflation is over? Prices are actually coming down?? :oops:
My thought has always been that Tesla loses money or simply breaks even on sales of the wall connector. They don't need to make money off of it and they want people to use it instead of a 240v outlet setup.

ugh... my M3 isn't supposed to be ready until may-june... wasn't planning on buying this for at least another month. Now I'm curious if the price will jump back up if I wait, or if I should just pull the trigger sooner than later.

While the HPWC seems like an unnecessary expense since the included mobile charger is adequate for most everyone, I love my Wall Charger and have never regretted buying it. Its elegant look, ease of use, and faster charge makes me happy even though I don't really need it. It's an upgrade that makes the ownership experience better. There is a permanence to it - a truly completed look and feel as opposed to something that looks like a modified extension cord hanging from the wall. I highly recommend them, so if you are considering and the price has dropped, order it!

That 24 foot cable has more than $100 of material in it alone...Juice Box and all the other brands of EV chargers people use cost far more than $500 also I'm pretty sure. You also have to account for shipping and distribution costs as well.
Teslas are reasonably priced compared to other EVSEs, but they're all quite a bit more expensive than they need to be. The pricing is largely dictated by electrical installation costs being fairly expensive (making the cost of the evse itself relatively meaningless) and there being incentives on many chargers on top of that. Furthermore, EVs that can charge at higher rates tend to be fairly expensive -- not the most price sensitive customers. So there's room to overcharge. If nothing else, it should be plainly obvious that the Gen 3 chargers cost less to make than the Gen 2, and Tesla did not drop the price when making that change.

The cable is not $100 worth of material. They're not using 6 or even 8 awg wire inside this thing.

How can the cable pull 48 amps then...
Because Tesla engineers understand that length matters, and at 25 feet or less you do not need the same spec as the NEC code for electricians requires. It is an engineered item to its own needs, and not subject to the generaly over spec'ed all purpose code electricians are required to follow. If you look at wire specifications you will find that 48 amps can be safely run on a thinner wire than 6 or 8 gauge in a correctly engineered product.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeC
Because Tesla engineers understand that length matters, and at 25 feet or less you do not need the same spec as the NEC code for electricians requires. It is an engineered item to its own needs, and not subject to the generaly over spec'ed all purpose code electricians are required to follow. If you look at wire specifications you will find that 48 amps can be safely run on a thinner wire than 6 or 8 gauge in a correctly engineered product.
This is interesting; please provide your source so I can read up further. Thanks

This is interesting; please provide your source so I can read up further. Thanks
There are loads of sites, including those from wire manufacturers that will state the specs for various type of wire. You might find it here:

Bottom line is it is a length and resistance calculation based on the type of wire, insulation, etc. and obviously Tesla does it.

How can the cable pull 48 amps then...
Because NEC applies to building construction, not necessarily the devices that plug into it. When you have a known specifications of a wire (not just length and gauge, but insulation type, manufacturer, number of strands, etc), installed using known contacts inside a known environment, you can much more precisely calculate the heat generated. And obviously they test their designs before selling them.

NEC has to account for varying quality of manufacturers, varying lengths, and varying connection types. The individuals applying the NEC are generally not engineers, so they don’t want to introduce more variables and potential for error. Realistically a 10 ft run of wire will not generate near the same amount of heat as a 100ft run of wire. But per NEC guidelines, both would require the same awg for the same load.

Because NEC applies to building construction, not necessarily the devices that plug into it. When you have a known specifications of a wire (not just length and gauge, but insulation type, manufacturer, number of strands, etc), installed using known contacts inside a known environment, you can much more precisely calculate the heat generated. And obviously they test their designs before selling them.

NEC has to account for varying quality of manufacturers, varying lengths, and varying connection types. The individuals applying the NEC are generally not engineers, so they don’t want to introduce more variables and potential for error.
Thank you. Well put.

Why is the "wall connector" better than a standard 220 volt outlet you can buy for less than $20??? OK, so it charges faster. Whoop-de-do! You plug your car in at night and it's full in the morning, same as the outlet. The main difference seems to be that you have to pay 50 times more for the "wall connector", which, of course, makes it better, right? And, as an extra benefit, you can ONLY use the wall connector for charging your car, while I can plug several different things into my outlet. Who are the ones making a profit from these? What's the push? "Ooooh, it's white, and I had to get an electrician to install it for an additional $500, so it must be better!" NOT.

I've been using the same 220 volt outlet to charge my cars for over ten years. I bought it at The Home Depot for about ten bucks and put it in myself, which is allowed in my county. If I sell my house, I just leave the outlet here for the next owner, so he can charge HIS Tesla. No one needs a "wall connector". Even rich Tesla owners are smart enough to spend their money wisely, and this ain't one of those deals.