Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Connector - Type B / Type A-EV RCD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you referring to EU TWC?

Self-Monitoring and Recovery
The Wall Connector has a ground monitoring
circuit that continuously checks for the
presence of a safe ground connection and
automatically recovers from faults. Manual
testing and resetting is not required.
Temporary problems such as ground faults or
utility power surges are overcome
automatically. If a residual current fault occurs
that interrupts charging, the Wall Connector
automatically tries to clear the fault and re-
attempt charging.

The problem is thatTesla do not give any details so its not possible to say if the protection is for the TWC or for the user...

Are you referring to EU TWC?

Self-Monitoring and Recovery
The Wall Connector has a ground monitoring
circuit that continuously checks for the
presence of a safe ground connection and
automatically recovers from faults. Manual
testing and resetting is not required.
Temporary problems such as ground faults or
utility power surges are overcome
automatically. If a residual current fault occurs
that interrupts charging, the Wall Connector
automatically tries to clear the fault and re-
attempt charging.

The problem is thatTesla do not give any details so its not possible to say if the protection is for the TWC or for the user...
It is an EU TWC.
Hmm in this case we follow the principle of "better safe than sorry", I guess.
I just read that lots of people have problems with their GFCI circuit breakers tripping while it shouldn't.

On the other hand, I also don't know if I should use a combination of Type B RCD and a Type B GFCI circuit breaker.
Or if a Type B RCD and a standard circuit breaker without GFCI would be safe enough or not..

The issue is not so much protection of the TWC, its more to do with DC leakage 'blinding' a Type A or A/C RCD that is protecting other circuits. It doesn't take much DC leakage (6mA is the limit for UK device protection) to affect the protection of other circuits supposedly being protected. So a fault elsewhere in the house may not be protected against. The Type B, or an alternative 6mA DC protection device will prevent this blinding.

• Informative
Reactions: tezcatcatl
My previous ones were separate but faulty so they've just changed it to this combined unit.
Is this combined one to the correct standard? Just wanted to check please.
max 32A single phase
It's UK domestic so sometimes goes up to 240v but usually I get about 235V
Doesn't say type B anywhere though?

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_204751.jpg
    IMG_20210425_204751.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
The issue is not so much protection of the TWC, its more to do with DC leakage 'blinding' a Type A or A/C RCD that is protecting other circuits. It doesn't take much DC leakage (6mA is the limit for UK device protection) to affect the protection of other circuits supposedly being protected. So a fault elsewhere in the house may not be protected against. The Type B, or an alternative 6mA DC protection device will prevent this blinding.

Ahh that makes sense. So Tesla says "our TWC has an internal GFCI unit" but they do not specify if it just protects against DC leak or if it does everything a Type B RCD is supposed to do.
Upon checking the manual of my specific TWC manual (not gen 3), I now see that they do recommend the use of a RCD, and they do not say "don't use GFCI circuit breakers" like they do in gen 3 manual.

So MAYBE, just maybe, in Gen 3 they added some sort of additional safety mechanisms. Be it for DC leak only or both.
I think Tesla should give more specifications on this..

Yes max 32A single phase cheers.
Ah I see.
To me that looks like a Type A RCD. I am not an electrician so maybe someone with more experience can verify.
If that is the case, although from my understanding, it used to be OK to use Type A, but now the new standard recommends Type B RCDs.

I guess it could be ok if it was a Gen 3 TWC, since Tesla mentions an integrated RCD, which MAY protect against the DC leak.
But again, I am not an electrician. I am just brainstorming here with very limited knowledge on the case.
I would wait for more experienced members comments, or take it up with an actual electrician / engineer.

Just for info:

Reactions: m3p_uk
My previous ones were separate but faulty so they've just changed it to this combined unit.
Is this combined one to the correct standard? Just wanted to check please.
max 32A single phase
Doesn't say type B anywhere though?

From the symbols on this RCBO there is no suitable DC capability (see comment above by @VanillaAir_UK )

My free BP Pulse charger is due to be installed tomorrow and it will be connected to a Type B RCD and 40Amp breaker. When the installers have finished, I am fitted a DPDTCO 63A switch to select either the Tesla charger or the BP Charger. As BP Pulse will not use 10mm twin/earth, I'll be replacing their cable with my thicker cable.

Personally, I feel happier with the Type B breaker. In the UK, you need DNO approval to connect an EV charger.

Nothing to do with DNO approval, its to do with ensuring compliance and notification of building and electrical regulations, which have a legal obligation. The notification may well be the most expensive bit if the electrician is not Part P certified and a member of one of the bodies (NICEIC etc) that allow them to self certify. Building Control may well end up charging several £££ or more for inspection and certification.

I live in Europe.
I have 3 phase 400V installations at my two homes.

From what I saw, the new Tesla Wall Connector has integrated DC Protection.

From the UK Gen3 manual
Wall Connector features built-in RCD Type A + DC 6mA.

I also have my homemade Easy EVSE WIFI + OpenWB on my PV system (22kW).
Here I've identified some options for the Type B or Type B+ 3 phase products:

- from ETIGroup
002062643 EFI-4 B 40/0.03 - 140.91 euro/piece + VAT, 30-40 days delivery
002062648 EFI-4 B+ 40/0.03 - 154.63 euro/piece + VAT, 30-40 days delivery

- from China
btw, ETEK is the real producer.

I've ordered this and wait to be delivered.

I have no real way to test the Chinese RCD...

Attachments

• Image.15979902858890.png
    Image.15979902858890.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 73
I've read the whole topic but I couldn't really come to a conclusion..
Type B is the new standard. Type A used to be OK.

Now, I bought a Tesla wall charger, 3x32A.
I am going to get it installed. No standard requirements in the country it will be installed.
And no certified / experienced installers.

Would I be risking my family's life, our house, if I use a TYPE A instead of TYPE B 3x40A RCD?
After reading most of this topic, I'm still trying to figure this out..

Tesla states "Wall Connector features built-in RCD Type A + DC 6mA."

Can anybody give a clear answer what else do I need for my 3x32A Gen3 TWC install? I just need to be safe, I don't care about regulation.

I've seen some local installers use circuit boxes like this for other brand chargers, but I'm not sure If I need all of this stuff for TWC, or they're just trying to sell more equipment than needed.. Also I'm not electrician so I'm not sure what most of this stuff is:
rcd.jpg

Can anybody give a clear answer what else do I need for my 3x32A Gen3 TWC install? I just need to be safe, I don't care about regulation.
It’s the regulations that ensure you have the elements that will keep you safe. There is also certification to be supplied to your DNO. From what you say I suspect that you will require either an earth rod or O-pen device such as the Matt:e. An appropriately qualified installer will tell you which is required for your situation.

It’s the regulations that ensure you have the elements that will keep you safe. There is also certification to be supplied to your DNO. From what you say I suspect that you will require either an earth rod or O-pen device such as the Matt:e. An appropriately qualified installer will tell you which is required for your situation.
Do they have the concept of a DNO in Serbia / I’ve not the slightest clue. Not even sure why this is being asked in a UK sub-forum. Clearly the person need to comply with their local electrical regulations. Messing about with EV charge setups by unqualified people is just asking for trouble.

Reactions: Adopado
Do they have the concept of a DNO in Serbia / I’ve not the slightest clue. Not even sure why this is being asked in a UK sub-forum. Clearly the person need to comply with their local electrical regulations. Messing about with EV charge setups by unqualified people is just asking for trouble.
Good point! I wasn't paying attention to OP location.

After reading most of this topic, I'm still trying to figure this out..

Tesla states "Wall Connector features built-in RCD Type A + DC 6mA."

I've seen some local installers use circuit boxes like this for other brand chargers, but I'm not sure If I need all of this stuff for TWC, or they're just trying to sell more equipment than needed.. Also I'm not electrician so I'm not sure what most of this stuff is:
View attachment 926656
Looks fairly comprehensive. Under-voltage release + over current protection + residual current protection. As Adopado said that doesn’t cover your ground/earth arrangement- see page 10 of the TWC manual.

Functional, yes. Over specified, no (each component is performing a different function). ‘Safety’ is all relative mind. Would I have it in my own house, yes. We’ve seen worse installs on here from professional electricians in the early years of the 18th Edition. In the UK we would like a metal consumer unit too please. Consider adding SPDs if not present elsewhere and possibly arc fault detection (albeit not that common in the UK yet).

To sleep well at night and maintain insurance validity, use a qualified electrician.

I don’t think there is a Serbia sub- forum?