Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: We are updating all reservation timelines in the next few days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I am having some challenges with my Model 3 LR, I placed the upgraded order on the 4th of July and paid in full on the 9th of August 2018, first they got me with the delivery date 23rd of August 2018, in the Dallas, Texas area, later one day before they said it is Monday the 27th of August 2018, today I got another call from my poc, she said it would be 8th of September 2018 !!! I am not sure what’s going on here after the full payments are made on a model 3 and we are stuck now with this deal, wish I could backout of this deal and get something else !!! Tesla is completely mismanaged and customer service is dismal, we decided not to buy any other vehicle from Tesla until they make some radical changes to their customer service, they are clueless were my vehicle is at this point and I am stuck with a car payment at this time, life sucks !!!
Complain to your state about not allowing Tesla to sell in Texas

Is this what people are seeing generally - I have no reservation and have not ordered yet - would it still really be only 1-2 months for delivery on a LR RWD PUP? not sure I need AWD with decent snow tires? any thought?

I am scheduled to get mine 18 days after ordering and my reservation was not until Feb 2018.

My guess is that they are focusing production on AWD and performance now but I would bet you could still get a RWD LR in 1-3 months.

Yeah. I think my order was filled so quickly because they stockpiled for RWD vehicles. Not sure if there is still a stockpile or not but I’d bet you still get one before the end of the year if you order now.
Okay so here is a thought. If I order now and it turns out I wont take delivery until 2019 (and lose the $7500 down to $3750) could I change my order to SR then? will it let me "down grade" an existing order?

Okay thats great gives me options

Percentage probability indicates you will get your car before the end of the year.

No one can say for sure SR is going to be even first half of 2019. 3750 is significant credit Tesla can parlay with other benefits to keep high margin models flowing through.

Once that is exhausted, Tesla can push for P/AWD sales to the worldwide market which US Tax Credits don't exist.

Percentage probability indicates you will get your car before the end of the year.

No one can say for sure SR is going to be even first half of 2019. 3750 is significant credit Tesla can parlay with other benefits to keep high margin models flowing through.

Once that is exhausted, Tesla can push for P/AWD sales to the worldwide market which US Tax Credits don't exist.
MXWing - thanks that is something to think about seriously. I dont think I can/want to wait until mid-2019! - do you have a comment on the RWD vs AWD in snowy areas? will I be okay with good snow tires?

Reactions: MXWing
MXWing - thanks that is something to think about seriously. I dont think I can/want to wait until mid-2019! - do you have a comment on the RWD vs AWD in snowy areas? will I be okay with good snow tires?

I don’t live in a snow area but I travel to snow areas to ski each year. AWD is a must for me because it makes the difference between needing to go with chains or go without.

I understand it adds 4000 or 5000 to the car but many would say it’s worth it.

Best bang for buck across all Tesla’s right now is AWD Model 3.

RWD Model 3 comes faster if there is inventory in place right now.

AWD probably comes faster if they had to build a new M3 versus a new RWD.

I have heard different things about the effect of the cold on the battery - can you clarify? I do short trips generally so was going for the SR with AWD as I live in NE Ohio - chilly winters and snow - wont always get the car in the garage - would have to really justify the extra $9k for LR - is the cold really a significant factor? I have heard some say not. thanks

I have read that you can take up to a 50% hit in range depending on how cold it is. The car needs to use a lot of energy to power the cabin heater (and to warm the battery and motors), which is obviously very inefficient compared to gas powered cars where the cabin is heated by waste heat from the engine. I would seriously consider the LR for any cold climate if you can afford it. If you order now, there is a decent chance you can get it before Jan 1.

I have seen people in Minneapolis driving with RWD and snow tires and they seem to manage okay, but I don’t have experience with this. This combo will definitely be cheaper than a dual motor without snow tires (got a quote for a set of 18 inch wheels with snow tires today for the M3 and it was around 2k versus 5k AWD upgrade). That being said, I use snow tires with AWD on my Land Rover and it’s a beast in the winter. That is truly the best combo if you can afford it (AWD + snow tires).

Reactions: Ingham
I have seen people in Minneapolis driving with RWD and snow tires and they seem to manage okay, but I don’t have experience with this. This combo will definitely be cheaper than a dual motor without snow tires (got a quote for a set of 18 inch wheels with snow tires today for the M3 and it was around 2k versus 5k AWD upgrade). That being said, I use snow tires with AWD on my Land Rover and it’s a beast in the winter. That is truly the best combo if you can afford it (AWD + snow tires).

Live in Michigan and have talked to a few people who have had both RWD and AWD Model S. They said basically that even with snow tires the traction is ok. Not terrible but not great. With AWD and seasonal tires they can feel the difference.

The dad and son team on The More You Know did a few test drives this winter with a RWD Model 3. Really informative:

Reactions: Ingham
Today my dates went from "Aug '18 - Oct '18" to "Estimated delivery by Oct.'18".

Los Angeles Area
Reserved 4/01/16 12:30pm PT (online)
Invited 6/27/18
Configured 6/27/18
P3D+ OBM, EAP, FSDC, White Interior
"Estimated delivery by Oct.'18"
No VIN, IDS call or Appt. yet

You are going to get a random call next week, telling you your car has been delivered and if you want delivery next day. :p

My timeline is almost like yours. They just had not made the P3D+ OBM, EAP, FSDC, White Interior in a batch yet..

You are going to get a random call next week, telling you your car has been delivered and if you want delivery next day. :p

My timeline is almost like yours. They just had not made the P3D+ OBM, EAP, FSDC, White Interior in a batch yet..

My friend ordered the same in Silver, wasnt a reservation holder, and now says he has Oct. '18 too. I will be so pissed if he gets his first. I guess not enough in our configuration have ordered.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife