Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will support wifi garage opener soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I will do (for now at least) is keep using the Tailwind app on my phone which basically does the same 'geofencing' stuff that the Tesla homelink module can (and likely more reliable as it can detect the current garage door state, so it won't close the door if it was already open). Also keep a normal Genie remote in the car as a backup. That is once my AWD Y finally arrives...

Here's the Amazon link (currently unavailable): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVDCBFB

Tailwind: Tailwind iQ3 Smart Automatic Garage Door Controller

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
This could be great. I don't have a wifi garage opener, but this could convince me to get one. Homelink does not have different signals for open and close . A wifi garage door opener would most likely not suffer from this limitation.

Half the time when I get home from work the garage door is already open (other family members get home first and open it) so the car closes the garage door when it tries to auto-open.

MyQ sucks. Chamberlain is super greedy and charges to integrate and charges to use and they want subscriptions more so than one-time fees. Can’t just integrate with open IP controls, the openers won’t work unless they can communicate to their cloud service and receive commands from there. If it were as simple as just connecting to the MyQ opener on your network and telling it to open the door, we would have already had that feature in the cars long ago. Currently they have integration via car systems made by Alpine and through the EVE vehicle software extensions. The EVE software is available for Tesla. Unfortunately it costs a monthly subscription to use and is a huge battery suck. Then you have to pay another monthly fee to use your MyQ hardware with EVE. If you have an Alpine system, which does not help with our Teslas, it comes with MyQ integration, but once again you have a monthly subscription fee for the MyQ service. MyQ is free to use with their iOS and Android app. And seems to now be free for use with Apple HomeKit and Google Home, provided you have their latest openers or companion modules. So I suppose Tesla could integrate with HomeKit and Google Home and then we would be free to use any compatible opener hardware through that interface....

I see no reason why Tesla couldn’t integrate MyQ support. But I won’t be using it if I have to pay a monthly fee to open my garage door.

We have 3 LiftMaster garage doors and have never had to pay a subscription for MyQ. Maybe we're grandfathered in? It is nice to be able to receive notifications, see if the doors are open or closed and control the garage doors from just about anywhere, but I don't think I'd ever be willing to pay a subscription fee.

As someone else mentioned previously, there's a safety feature where it beeps for 10 seconds before closing a door. While this is acceptable from time to time, I wouldn't want to subject my neighbors to it every single time we closed a garage door. It would be nice if it was configurable.

I bought the MyQ module for my garage door and there is no monthly fee. It works perfectly from iphone but its too many steps to unlock my phone, find the app, launch and then press open. That's why I bought the Tesla homelink module so I don't have to do anything. For me $300 is one date night so I will just make dinner for my wife and watch a DVD and call it even!

I bought the MyQ module for my garage door and there is no monthly fee. It works perfectly from iphone but its too many steps to unlock my phone, find the app, launch and then press open. That's why I bought the Tesla homelink module so I don't have to do anything. For me $300 is one date night so I will just make dinner for my wife and watch a DVD and call it even!

With the MyQ module, can't you ask siri/google assistant to open your garage door as you pull up? I know dome of them support it; maybe not all.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
We have 3 LiftMaster garage doors and have never had to pay a subscription for MyQ. Maybe we're grandfathered in? It is nice to be able to receive notifications, see if the doors are open or closed and control the garage doors from just about anywhere, but I don't think I'd ever be willing to pay a subscription fee.

As someone else mentioned previously, there's a safety feature where it beeps for 10 seconds before closing a door. While this is acceptable from time to time, I wouldn't want to subject my neighbors to it every single time we closed a garage door. It would be nice if it was configurable.

Agree. This is my main annoyance with mine.

Reactions: LasVegas2019
haha, you go on some expensive dates! You are right about it being troublesome to use the app. I do like the fact i can set reminder to notified me if the garage door stays open for more than a certain time. Or it closes itself at night at a time I set if I forget to close it. Left my garage opened once overnight and some kid stole my wife's wallet that she left in the car.

I've had a z-wave garage door controller for years now and have been able to control it over the internet. I would rather pay $300 for the Homelink device and cut out everything in between. Seems like a very round about way to control something that is a few feet from your car when it needs opened/closed 99.99% of the time.

I bought the MyQ module for my garage door and there is no monthly fee. It works perfectly from iphone but its too many steps to unlock my phone, find the app, launch and then press open. That's why I bought the Tesla homelink module so I don't have to do anything.
Agree. This is my main annoyance with mine.
Yes. That annoying 10 second warning beep would get old in a hurry.

haha, you go on some expensive dates! You are right about it being troublesome to use the app. I do like the fact i can set reminder to notified me if the garage door stays open for more than a certain time. Or it closes itself at night at a time I set if I forget to close it. Left my garage opened once overnight and some kid stole my wife's wallet that she left in the car.
Agree. That's the main reason I got MyQ so it would warn me if door was left open. I live in a nice area but I bet if I left may garage door open all night, something would disappear from the tool box.

Agree. That's the main reason I got MyQ so it would warn me if door was left open. I live in a nice area but I bet if I left may garage door open all night, something would disappear from the tool box.
We live in a small town and before we got our Liftmaster garage door openers with MyQ, the police would actually stop by to check if we'd left our garage door open intentionally. Now, we set them to automatically close after 5 minutes and never have to worry about them being left open accidentally anymore. We are more concerned with wildlife than theft. We often have bears, coyotes, foxes, deer, rabbits and skunks in the neighborhood and once had a rabbit stuck in our garage for a couple days.

Reactions: LasVegas2019
Guys, the iPhone/ Android apps are free. Chamberlain/ MyQ charges a monthly fee for their vehicle integration options. I have a couple MyQ openers myself. My oldest is about 3 years and my newest is 4 months. The newest one integrates directly with Google Home or Apple HomeKit. You can see their integration fees on the web site and if you have EVE or and Alpine car system with MyQ integration, you have to sign up to use those. You get the first month free.

I’m a software and embedded systems engineer and have worked with a lot of integration platforms — Crestron, AMX, etc.. Chamberlain sells/ licenses development modules for such platforms, we can’t just integrate. They want their monthly fees from the users, it’s completely insane. To integrate MyQ with Crestron or similar, we have to relay through Google or HomeKit. It’s another layer of obfuscation and a complete kludge of a solution, but that’s the only way to do it without the customer having to pay a monthly fee to use MyQ from their Crestron system.

I suppose there is a chance Tesla could bargain with them to get free to consumer integration of MyQ... But would not hold my breath on that.

IMO, I think the better course of action would be for Tesla to integrate Apple and Google automation support. Then they could relay to any door opener connected to one of those home systems, not just MyQ. Then we could tell our cars to turn on the lights, start the coffee pot and and open the garage door with one one command...

Reactions: gt2690b
I believe that the Homelink should still be included with the vehicle as is done with most other manufactures, The problem I have with Chamberlain's MyQ is that it only works for two garage doors at one home when I last checked 6 months ago. One could always use Nexx which works with all garage doors and can use a geo fence to open 90 percent of garage doors. I can not see myself pulling up to the house and interrupting a phone call to ask Google to open my garage door. The good old Homelink just worked, pull down the drive way and it opens, Nexx does the same. Nexx also integrates with Alexa and Google at home. I have Nexx on all of my garage doors because it will send me a notification if the garage is opened, closed or left open and I can close or open from anywhere in the world via the phone app. So as I pull away Homelink dings to tell me it it closing, Nexx tells me when the door is closed. If, for some reason, the garage did not close or reverses Homelink would not tell me, Nexx does.

So I suppose I could, while walking to the garage, ask Google to open the door, but it is just easier for me to hit the button as I walk into the garage. On occasion I have been in the middle of the garage and asked Google to open a garage door but I bet I could count on one hand the number of times.

Talking to Google or Alexa is a pain compared to the garage opening and closing while I drive home or leave. Hmmm I know that I have set Google to only open the garage door when it recognizes MY voice. I suppose if you just had it set for anyone in the house I might be able to go to the side of your house by a window and ask Alexa or Google to open the garage and it would? Nice for thieves..

(I have no affiliation with Nexx, Google or Alexa)

Nexx - Smart Home Automation for Garage, Yard & Home

I believe that the Homelink should still be included with the vehicle as is done with most other manufactures, The problem I have with Chamberlain's MyQ is that it only works for two garage doors at one home when I last checked 6 months ago.

Nexx - Smart Home Automation for Garage, Yard & Home
I know for sure you can have more than two doors per house...just need need to buy more MyQ and door sensors.