Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will support wifi garage opener soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: CO_MY
......no intention of replacing it just for wifi functionality. It too operates flawlessly with the geotagging HoneLink on my S...

I don't view it as an either-or choice but it's both choices.

Tesla already has its wifi antenna so it's a matter of using it.

On the other hand, current Model 3 and Y do not come with HomeLink for free so HomeLink must be installed post-delivery.

So when Tesla write some programming codes for its wifi, that doesn't mean you can't buy HomeLink option for Model 3 and Y. Same with Model S and X, if someday, HomeLink is optional, there is no reason that you can't have both.

It's just like Tesla didn't have video recordings for owners before but it's not an either-or choice of video recording for human or Autopilot for machine. Since then, we have both for human and machine.

Similarly, Tesla Model 3 didn't have a fob before and someone asked for a fob but it's not an either-or choice: owners now can have both the key card and fob if they want to pay extra.

I have the shortcuts installed. How do you activate it? Did you create an automation for when you leave it closes and when you come home it opens? Or do you just use “Siri”?
If you have all the account information in Just click on the shortcut or say “hey Siri, “ then whatever the name of the shortcut is. You can automate it by geofence but it’s kind of stupid because now you have to unlock your phone to run the automation.

Reactions: phil4791eng
I'm fairly certain this will be the last we hear from Elon on this.
Over 6 months later, still crickets lol.

MyQ works just fine with Google Home Integration. I have it at my home and I use it all the time. When approaching home, I just say to google assistant on my phone "Open garage door 1" and it does it.

MyQ Google Assistant Setup
Nope. Only will close the door or give open/close status. Opening via voice they determined to be a safety concern.

Is the homelink integration really that much better then just clipping the clicker to the visor? That seems to be the easiest/cheapest option...

Is a Rolex really any better than a cheap Casio for keeping track of time? :)

I liked the homelink module in my 3, it kept things clean, and I didn't want to look at the clicker on my visor, or attach it behind the screen.

Reactions: firerock
Is the homelink integration really that much better then just clipping the clicker to the visor? That seems to be the easiest/cheapest option...
I like the Homelink integration auto closing and opening when I leave/arrive. It's not a HUGE benefit over just pushing a button, but I got used to it on my Model X so I bought it for the Model Y. Whether it's worth the money is obviously a personal decision.

I tend to like eliminating small repetitive actions and am willing to pay to do it. That's what I have so many motion-sensing light switches and smart light switches for appropriate locations (laundry room, etc) and auto-sensing soap pumps and faucets.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I have the Tailwind door opener and my door opens automatically when I approach my garage. I have "hey google" set up to close it when I leave. Alexa also works, as does Siri, I believe.

I have Tailwind as well. I was just chatting with Scott from Tailwind this week about getting Google to close the door without unlocking my phone. We couldn't get it to work. Scott said that google requires the phone to be unlocked for all google home commands.

Can you close your door with google without unlocking your phone?

I have Tailwind as well. I was just chatting with Scott from Tailwind this week about getting Google to close the door without unlocking my phone. We couldn't get it to work. Scott said that google requires the phone to be unlocked for all google home commands.

Can you close your door with google without unlocking your phone?
Not all, but some. Opening a garage, window or door requires the unlock. Closing doesn't. Lights and temperature are also available while locked. You get the picture, sensitive stuff.

One way to do it is to setup a Home Assistant server and create a "light switch" that mimics your garage door controller. Since lights are unprotected, it should work. I've done that in the past to be able to control my garage with voice commands while on my motorcycle. It might be too much work for you if you're not deeply into automation.

Home Assistant <-- if you feel like venturing!

Not all, but some. Opening a garage, window or door requires the unlock. Closing doesn't. Lights and temperature are also available while locked. You get the picture, sensitive stuff.

One way to do it is to setup a Home Assistant server and create a "light switch" that mimics your garage door controller. Since lights are unprotected, it should work. I've done that in the past to be able to control my garage with voice commands while on my motorcycle. It might be too much work for you if you're not deeply into automation.

Home Assistant <-- if you feel like venturing!

Interesting. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9 running the latest software. Mine will not turn on/off lights or do any Google Home controls without unlocking my phone.
I have Smart Lock set to keep the phone unlocked when paired with the car, but that doesn't seem to work all the time either.

I wish I had time to get more into the Home Assistant stuff, but sadly I don't right now.