Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will use camera to monitor driver behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This video seems to be after the update, not sure why the interior camera didn't detect anything when the officer states he witnessed the driver sleeping with his head down. I'm all for the interior camera being used if it can prevent tools like this one from misusing Autopilot and risking the well being of others on the road.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
This video seems to be after the update, not sure why the interior camera didn't detect anything when the officer states he witnessed the driver sleeping with his head down. I'm all for the interior camera being used if it can prevent tools like this one from misusing Autopilot and risking the well being of others on the road.

The (alleged) sleeper's Model 3 has silver trim, so we know it's an older vintage and would therefore have radar, so it would be expected to behave differently than newer 3's with regards to the cabin camera.

I think cabin camera monitoring was recently added to radar-equipped 3/Ys as part of 2021.32.22, but (A) that video is from June, before 2021.32.22 was available, and (B), in my experience in my 2018 Model 3, the cabin camera only does anything if I'm looking at my phone for an extended period. I.e., I can have my eyes off the road, but unless I'm also looking at a phone, it won't nag me any more than normal. So it's not surprising that the sleeper's car wouldn't disengage autopilot back in June simply because his eyes were closed..

Is it even known if a radar-less 3/Y would in fact disengage autopilot with a sleeping driver (assuming his hand was resting on the wheel providing some torque)?

The (alleged) sleeper's Model 3 has silver trim, so we know it's an older vintage and would therefore have radar, so it would be expected to behave differently than newer 3's with regards to the cabin camera.

I think cabin camera monitoring was recently added to radar-equipped 3/Ys as part of 2021.32.22, but (A) that video is from June, before 2021.32.22 was available, and (B), in my experience in my 2018 Model 3, the cabin camera only does anything if I'm looking at my phone for an extended period. I.e., I can have my eyes off the road, but unless I'm also looking at a phone, it won't nag me any more than normal. So it's not surprising that the sleeper's car wouldn't disengage autopilot back in June simply because his eyes were closed..

Is it even known if a radar-less 3/Y would in fact disengage autopilot with a sleeping driver (assuming his hand was resting on the wheel providing some torque)?
My radar-equipped car is on 36.8, and it doesn't monitor me - I've tried it several times on the highway using my basic AP.

For some reason my June 2020 spy-on-the-driver camera doesn't seem to care what I'm doing. 😀
20211115_191006.jpg

Reactions: andaconda