Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wont cover rattles or any noise related defects after 15k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently had a SC appointment to fix a rattle beneath the white ceramic dash (A clip was loose) and my service advisor had no issues with getting it fix. She even rode in my car to hear the noise so she can provide an exact area for the techs to get it fixed.

I would recommend calling another SC if it isn't too far from you to get it fixed or ask for another service advisor. This minor defects/issues should be fixed under warranty regardless of miles driven.

Reactions: omar
Here is what is listed in my warranty exclusions:

"General appearance or normal noise and vibration, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration;... "

Most, if not all, modern cars have none of these issues, at least those that aspire to be included in the "premium" segment. Especially, with only 15000 miles on the odometer.

Is Mercedes considered "premium"?

Yep, and that's not acceptable, either. When a car has issues, owners should demand resolution, you don't go find other examples from other manufacturers in hope of making yours appear more like the norm. We really shouldn't care what MB, or BMW, or any other makers do with their cars. Ours have to be better, regardless of what their cars are like. After all, Tesla has no competition, yet, and is in a class of 1.

Reactions: SJC3
Pretty much every car I've owned has had rattles come up occasionally. Which isn't surprising as I tend to get vehicles with firm suspension. The P3D+ that I have now is no exception.

I would really be shocked if any of the "premium" manufactures declined a warranty fix to resolve a reasonably significant rattle on a car within warranty. Even newish Toyota's and Honda's these days are fairly rattle free.

Sure rattles might be excluded from the warranty, but that's because some people can be really anal about every little squeak and rattle.

If Tesla declines a fix for a significant rattle under warranty then they're basically asking me to be a Porsche customer.

Last edited:
Yep, and that's not acceptable, either. When a car has issues, owners should demand resolution, you don't go find other examples from other manufacturers in hope of making yours appear more like the norm. We really shouldn't care what MB, or BMW, or any other makers do with their cars. Ours have to be better, regardless of what their cars are like. After all, Tesla has no competition, yet, and is in a class of 1.
No doubt Tesla needs to do better. I'm not implying that the current state of Tesla's customer service is acceptable. But I don't like it when people say things like "modern cars have none of these issues". I'm sure most if not all car companies have people complaining about their quality and service.

No doubt Tesla needs to do better. I'm not implying that the current state of Tesla's customer service is acceptable. But I don't like it when people say things like "modern cars have none of these issues". I'm sure most if not all car companies have people complaining about their quality and service.

When it comes to squeaks, and rattles a lot of it depends on the expectations of the customers.

I imagine premium level vehicles get more complaints because their generally easy to get serviced, and the entire service experience is usually pretty positive. So there is little hesitation in getting it serviced.

This is especially true of Tesla where the powertrain is so quiet that any rattle/squeak becomes more annoying, and takes away from the experience more than it would on a typical ICE car.

Where ICE cars that are supposed to be quiet typically have a lot of effort that went into making it rattle free. Like I imagine a typical brand new Lexus is pretty rattle free.

I've never experienced a rattle/squeak free car due to the nature of cars I get. They've all had things come up from time to time. Pretty much all performance orientated cars have firm suspension that leads to rattles.

I can't help but notice the transition from everyone raving along the lines of "yes, Teslas may have issues but they'll always take care of you like no other manufacturer" to pretending the rattleboxes we bought are performing normally.

I'd speculate that for every N customers sent away unsatisfied, there will be N + M who will not buy another Tesla (where N = the set of unsatisfied customers and M = those who will endlessly hear from said unsatisfied customers).

This is a long game, they built a good brand but it's eroding and every bit of that erosion lowers both the amount of future sales and the amount they can charge per unit. I think it would be very unwise of Tesla to make this a habit.

I have never gotten ANY pushback about getting a squeak or rattle fixed on any of my other cars, as long as they were under warranty. BMW or Mercedes (maybe both?) even have dedicated test rigs for helping pinpoint where noises are coming from on test drives so technicians can zero in on fixing.

I give Tesla a tiny bit of slack that the car is quieter than a typical car, but my BMWs, etc., have been very quiet as well and they never tried to weasel out of fixing a squeak or rattle.

Reactions: jiehan

I don't think anyone here began to argue that no modern car has these issues but rather the OP posted how the manufacturer tried squirm away from repairing the issue when most other manufacturers will at least make an attempt if it is reasonable.

IMO, I always try to into the problem to try provide my own research and directed point of repair for the technicians because diagnosing a issues is quite difficult for subjective hearsay problems.

While the Mobile Sevice tech was over at my house fixing condensation in the tail lights, I mentioned a rattle in the rear hatch of my Model S.

He took the cover off the hatch and found a broken clip and replaced it for free and put some sound deadening tape in there tooZ. My experience is that the Mobile Techs are often more willing to help out.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
When it comes to squeaks, and rattles a lot of it depends on the expectations of the customers.

I imagine premium level vehicles get more complaints because their generally easy to get serviced, and the entire service experience is usually pretty positive. So there is little hesitation in getting it serviced.

This is especially true of Tesla where the powertrain is so quiet that any rattle/squeak becomes more annoying, and takes away from the experience more than it would on a typical ICE car.

Where ICE cars that are supposed to be quiet typically have a lot of effort that went into making it rattle free. Like I imagine a typical brand new Lexus is pretty rattle free.

I've never experienced a rattle/squeak free car due to the nature of cars I get. They've all had things come up from time to time. Pretty much all performance orientated cars have firm suspension that leads to rattles.

The thing is, the Model 3 is not a quiet car as the road/wind noise is more pronounced than in many other vehicles at its price point. The engine drone only dominates up to a certain speed, beyond which all the other sources of noise prevail. The Model 3's rattles mostly come from poorly-fitting/fastened parts and the higher the speed the more they vibrate. In my experience, the vast majority of rattles are not subtle and perception is not exaggerated because of the lack of engine and exhaust noise.

Does anyone know if there are any businesses that can take the interior apart and muffle the crap out of everything that may rattle? How much for such an endeavor?

Does anyone know if there are any businesses that can take the interior apart and muffle the crap out of everything that may rattle? How much for such an endeavor?

Tons of product exist, but I assume a type of body shop or detailer might specialize on installing sound deadening material.
Reviews of 10 Best Automotive Sound Deadening Materials (Cars)
Automotive Sound Deadening, Soundproofing - Eastwood

Best Sound Deadening in Los Angeles, CA - Last Updated January 2019 - Yelp

I don't think anyone here began to argue that no modern car has these issues but rather the OP posted how the manufacturer tried squirm away from repairing the issue when most other manufacturers will at least make an attempt if it is reasonable.

IMO, I always try to into the problem to try provide my own research and directed point of repair for the technicians because diagnosing a issues is quite difficult for subjective hearsay problems.
The comment I was responding to literally said "Most, if not all, modern cars have none of these issues, at least those that aspire to be included in the "premium" segment."

As it relates to dealers squirming from fixing things that should be covered by warranty, this issue is also not just a problem with Tesla.

Top 674 Reviews and Complaints about Mercedes-Benz

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: more863-also
but hasn't Tesla been really good @ fixing things that should be covered by warranty or is that changing with the 3?
For anything mechanical I don't think they would ever give you a problem. Seems like they are being more strict for cosmetic defects if you don't bring it in soon after the car was purchased. Seems to be a result of how swamped the service centers are. Hopefully they can sort it out.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
The comment I was responding to literally said "Most, if not all, modern cars have none of these issues, at least those that aspire to be included in the "premium" segment."

As it relates to dealers squirming from fixing things that should be covered by warranty, this issue is also not just a problem with Tesla.

Top 674 Reviews and Complaints about Mercedes-Benz

Interesting review, but man reading that 1st comment I'm totally thinking such a 1st world problem....

I purchased a 2018 MB GLE 350 4 months ago with the expectation that the vehicle would have certain functioning amenities. WRONG!! I now own a $70,000 car that cannot even be started remotely because the Mercedes Me app NEVER works! I have to physically walk outside every morning and start the thing to warm up. I’ve called numerous times and am always told the app is down and being worked on. I’m sorry, but if this is true, they need better IT personal because millions of apps work perfectly well all the time.

• Funny
Reactions: chronopc