Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X - dangerous Cruise control, Autopilot and Self driving..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I so much enjoy my AP1, I just hope that when I get my AP2 next month, the safety factor of the AP will be as good if not better, but there are apparently some issues to work through.

Don't sell you AP1 car yet. My 3 month old AP2 Model S no longer self drives at all since updating to the newest software and there is the dreaded "cruise not available" message if I try to use it. Luckily I kept my 2015 AP1 Tesla which still self drives great. I've gone back to driving it and parked the new one until Tesla fixes it.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Don't sell you AP1 car yet. My 3 month old AP2 Model S no longer self drives at all since updating to the newest software and there is the dreaded "cruise not available" message if I try to use it. Luckily I kept my 2015 AP1 Tesla which still self drives great. I've gone back to driving it and parked the new one until Tesla fixes it.

Wow, that is a sobering thought.

The next one is actually a replacement, so I kind of don't have a choice.

Perhaps this lawsuit will add some rocket fuel to the fire under their programming butts, and I hope they get it going in the next month.

Reactions: Tomnook
I was completely unaware that Tesla had released self-driving cars. I thought it was auto-pilot, a driver assist feature.

Great news!

I was completely unaware that Tesla had released self-driving cars. I thought it was auto-pilot, a driver assist feature.

Yea, I know, no self driving. But the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control is fabulous and addicting. My wife made me call Tesla's 877 number yesterday after the local service center said they couldn't fix the autopilot and cruise control on the new AP2 car. They fixed it over the air, now it works correctly again. "Self driving" :) Don't let them tell you they can't do it over the air, they can. The local service centers can't fix it apparently and no one should wait until the next software update.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Yea, I know, no self driving. But the lane keeping and adaptive cruise control is fabulous and addicting. My wife made me call Tesla's 877 number yesterday after the local service center said they couldn't fix the autopilot and cruise control on the new AP2 car. They fixed it over the air, now it works correctly again. "Self driving" :) Don't let them tell you they can't do it over the air, they can. The local service centers can't fix it apparently and no one should wait until the next software update.
Seriously, any idea what they *did*? Did they push one of the new firmwares to it? As opposed to 'waiting for it'? Because it's strange that support could do something the SC couldn't do.

Seriously, any idea what they *did*? Did they push one of the new firmwares to it? As opposed to 'waiting for it'? Because it's strange that support could do something the SC couldn't do.

No new firmware. I read on the forum that they can wipe the car's memory which gets full and prevents autopilot from initializing. Maybe just speculation but everything worked again after I talked with them and insisted the forum members said a fix could be done over the air.

Reactions: Mike M
No new firmware. I read on the forum that they can wipe the car's memory which gets full and prevents autopilot from initializing. Maybe just speculation but everything worked again after I talked with them and insisted the forum members said a fix could be done over the air.
Interesting, good to know there are 'escalation' alternatives!

Long story short;
I am now an owner of a Tesla X, new car with all the Self driving gadgets available. However; after having used the car for a couple of weeks I am shocked; the Cruise control, the Autopilot/selfdriving is nothing but very dangerous - it has done all it can to kill me several times...

Are you really an actual owner @MrSling or just a troll? All the self driving gadgets? One post only... Hmm...

Misleading? What, Tesla is now at virtual parity to AP1 a couple months after expected. That is not misleading, actually its herculean with new hardware and no mobileye assistance.

While my experience with AP2 hasn't been perfect, it certainly hasn't tried to kill me. I've had ZERO issues with TACC. AP2 has some issues with getting confused with exit lanes and is sometimes a bit abrupt in auto lane change for my liking, but all in all, has been good after the 8.1 update. For example the 45 minute drive home from the airport the other night was incredibly uneventful and smooth using AP.

Reactions: retinaguy and EinSV
We just completed a cross-country trip with our X, almost 6k miles on it now. All on AP2, 17.11.3. We used TACC for all of the highway miles. Thankfully AP was always available (we don't use any logging apps, maybe that helped). It would hesitate quite often at overpasses, overhead signs, or other shadows. But it would only slow by 1 or 2 MPH, like a quick lift of the accelerator pedal without braking. We had maybe a handful of similar events that dropped the speed more. We hit the accelerator in those cases. We didn't have any dramatic self braking events.

We really liked TACC. It was pretty clueless during merges, but that was expected. A little slow to speed up when its lane cleared.

Autosteer was just a little too "drunk" for us. It worked, and I used it for a couple of segments of the trip, but tended to bounce around in the lane. Didn't want to do that around the police or a semi. Lane changes were similarly jerky. I'm sure it will smooth out in the future. The manual steering on our X is so easy that we did not miss Autosteer this time.

We had three other cars try to kill us (two lane encroachments and one red light runner), but not AP2.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the AP2 system is being rebuilt from scratch. Elon said (I think during one of the investor calls) that he had hoped that Mobileye would be part of the transition from AP1 to AP2, but when that relationship dissolved, Tesla had to move forward on its own. The original "December" estimate for AP2 parity was likely based on those original transition plans that included Mobileye.

Wrong. Tesla made the statements about December 2016 in October 2016 when they had started building AP2 cars already. Obviously they knew Mobileye would not be a part of that.

@OP - and the purpose of your first post is?

Congratulations on your first post.

If only I did not find these references disingenous... ;)

Are you really an actual owner @MrSling or just a troll? All the self driving gadgets?

Obviously a reference to EAP + FSD.

One post only... Hmm...

Obviously an attempt to diminish OP's message and standing.

Misleading? What, Tesla is now at virtual parity to AP1 a couple months after expected. That is not misleading, actually its herculean with new hardware and no mobileye assistance.

Actually, if you ordered in 2016, this is what Tesla said you'd get - no talk of AP1 parity, nothing, just this.

Read it. Digest it. And consider the word misleading. Was THAT realistically expected to be available in December 2016? Realistically? Reasonably?

Tesla also listed a lot of standard features on their site, some of which are not yet available at all, related to Autopilot sensors. Those they said "will" be available in December 2016, not even expected...
Tesla-enhanced-autopilot-upgrade.jpg

Last edited:
As per OP's post, if what he wrote is true, it kind of competes for the Darwin award. Why would anyone just after a day or two of buying a car with brand new technology, try the AP feature at 80+ mph in the *very first* attempt ? Try it at lower speeds, get comfortable, understand the nuances and then over a period of a week or so gradually try it at higher speeds. Just basic common sense.

Most likely considering the typical trollish catch phrases like, "it tried to kill me", I am guessing he is a plant here from any one of the numerous Tesla haters.

Reactions: EinSV
The funny thing is that I've watched a few "lane keep assist" feature videos from drivers of other manufacturers, and they are horrible compared to Tesla. They give up at the slightest curve and are so unreliable, the drivers are practically hands-on at all times. Do those forums also have these kinds of complaints??

The OP made it clear his expectations were set by AP1. A distinct difference?

And yes, other car forums are full of complaints about auto steering, but not complaints about adaptive cruise, emergency braking etc. usually.

As per OP's post, if what he wrote is true, it kind of competes for the Darwin award. Why would anyone just after a day or two of buying a car with brand new technology, try the AP feature at 80+ mph in the *very first* attempt ? Try it at lower speeds, get comfortable, understand the nuances and then over a period of a week or so gradually try it at higher speeds. Just basic common sense.

Most likely considering the typical trollish catch phrases like, "it tried to kill me", I am guessing he is a plant here from any one of the numerous Tesla haters.

Are we inventing stuff people wrote now? Where does he say he tried it at 80+ mph? For reference, the highest speed-limit in very limited parts of Norway is 68 mph.

I guess it fits with the rest of the character assasination on the OP, though. Just make things up about him.

Unfortunately, when I went out and took a test drive today, I got, "cruise not available" again. I called the Tesla rep who swears they can not fix anything over the air. They say it was just coincidence that the car magically started working within an hour of my talking to them, after it had not worked for 2 weeks. Drove to work today with no cruise available. Very frustrating.

Sorry my bad. I might have confused this topic to another where a new poster on his first post, complains how on his first AP drive he was going at a good clip (80 mph) and it was not doing good on curve and he tried to take over, and it resulted in AP jerking him back and forth across lanes.. or some such story.. That one.