Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X HEPA Filter retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No point in installing yourself or buying a lesser quality Chinese third party filter.

Just call service center. Ask them to kindly order and install the part for your S or X (we did on both). Ask them to install as well. It was around $200 for parts and installation for each car. Took 20 minutes.

Do NOT mention the word Bioweapon because they’re no longer allowed to activate that button. Just say HEPA filter and offer the part number.

If there’s any question ask them to look up what they did Jan 2018 for my model X VIN 077692 which was installed at West LA Santa Monica Service Center. There’s recent precedent. Don’t let them say no. Some are just confused about this.

To get “Bioweapon” just set the air manually to 10 (max). Easy.

• Informative
Reactions: ebfio
I'm pretty sure bioweapon defense mode also includes a bed of carbon. Just having a HEPA filter is great for particles, but isn't going to help with odors. Is this carbon built onto the HEPA filter, or is there a separate canister that everyone self-installing has been missing?

There are certainly two carbon filters included. Never seen a definitive part number for them though. There was some debate on another thread about whether or not the carbon filters are fitted as standard (a bit of wishful thinking I thought), but the carbon filters are most definitely listed as an upgrade feature of the PUP as a separate item to the HEPA filter. One of them may or may not be built into the Tesla HEPA filter. If I was retro-fitting the HEPA filter I would want to fit these carbon filters too if possible.

There are certainly two carbon filters included. Never seen a definitive part number for them though. There was some debate on another thread about whether or not the carbon filters are fitted as standard (a bit of wishful thinking I thought), but the carbon filters are most definitely listed as an upgrade feature of the PUP as a separate item to the HEPA filter. One of them may or may not be built into the Tesla HEPA filter. If I was retro-fitting the HEPA filter I would want to fit these carbon filters too if possible.

I don't think the carbon filters are a separate part number. There appears to be a carbon element / layer on the air filter elements.

I don't think the carbon filters are a separate part number. There appears to be a carbon element / layer on the air filter elements.

I was under the impression that at least one of the carbon filters was in a separate filter somewhere behind the glovebox, but I haven't bothered looking as I have PUP anyway. It seems to me a bit like vacuum cleaners where there are typically several interchangeable filter elements depending on spec. ranging from simple paper elements to multi-element HEPA/carbon variants.

What isn't clear to me is whether or not both carbon elements are in fact part of the large HEPA filter or part of the secondary filter behind the glovebox.

No point in installing yourself or buying a lesser quality Chinese third party filter.

Just call service center. Ask them to kindly order and install the part for your S or X (we did on both). Ask them to install as well. It was around $200 for parts and installation for each car. Took 20 minutes.

Do NOT mention the word Bioweapon because they’re no longer allowed to activate that button. Just say HEPA filter and offer the part number.

If there’s any question ask them to look up what they did Jan 2018 for my model X VIN 077692 which was installed at West LA Santa Monica Service Center. There’s recent precedent. Don’t let them say no. Some are just confused about this.

To get “Bioweapon” just set the air manually to 10 (max). Easy.

Tried that my SC tells me hepa filter part isn’t compatible with my X. No option to order

Tried another SC, this one says they can order the part, but have specific orders from the regional manager to not install it.

Contacted the regional manager directly who said not possible as well as they won't install anything my car wasn't configured with or is an "approved retrofit". Basically, impossible in Eastern Canada?

Tried another SC, this one says they can order the part, but have specific orders from the regional manager to not install it.

Contacted the regional manager directly who said not possible as well as they won't install anything my car wasn't configured with or is an "approved retrofit". Basically, impossible in Eastern Canada?
You can install it pretty easily, there are some videos across these forums from YouTube on how to install it.

Haha saw the How to...I'd still rather pay someone to do it, as I don't trust myself with these kind of tasks.

I am not savvy with cars at all, or handy around the house, and this surprised me that it wasn’t that difficult. I was really nervous I’d open it up and not know how to put it back, but it really is pretty straightforward. I’d definitely give it a shot. The screws aren’t even that tight so they are easy to take off.

Quick update: after speaking to 4 SA at the Centinela SC, I was able to purchase the HEPA filter. It will take 2-4 weeks to arrive, but I don’t mind.

The weird part: they were trying to convince me that I needed a “conversion kit” that has been supposedly discontinued a year ago.

Oh Tesla.

Reactions: sparkles