Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X HEPA Filter retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when changing the filter yourself, do you need SC to an over the air update to have the tesla notice that there is a HEPA filter?

No. Air simply flows through the new HEPA filter, it gets used without any need for SC attention.

Any software change is just to enable their "Biohazard" button (which is just a macro that enables recirc and turns the fans up).

SCs no longer offer the retrofit, and thus no longer offer any OTA updates for the "Biohazard" macro button. The $750 "Biohazard" button is not needed to get the benefit of HEPA...

• Informative
Reactions: lymex2018
I don't think the biohazard button is as simple as everyone guesses. Certainly not needed for most people regardless, but I've had it reduce airflow vs automatic in some instances. I'm also still not fully convinced there isn't a carbon canister included that might be why they removed the option to add the button. I can't believe that a layer of carbon on a HEPA filter would be enough to freshen the air as much as bioweapon defense mode does.

• Disagree
Reactions: ebfio
Wow this was shockingly easy to do!! And I loved doing it! Took about 30 minutes (couldn’t find the charger to my drill so did it manually!), cleaned out the shockingly dusty insides with a vacuum, and placed the filter

Hardest part was getting the rubber seal to fit back properly and some of the screws in weird angles haha!

definitely got to explore the car and was a fun task! Almost glad Tesla refused to do the install lol!

Also the part that’s installed inside is the same part and even says HEPA Filter, but doesn’t have the actual filter, just the plastic, so technically Tesla would be “replacing a default part” and should have been offering to do it, but oh well definitely no complaints!

Was $300 including tax CAD for the filter. Anyone in Ontario looking to do it, I was able to get the Mississauga location to order me the part, previously both Oakville and Lawrence were unable to do so.

Part arrived in less than a week!

Wow this was shockingly easy to do!! And I loved doing it! Took about 30 minutes (couldn’t find the charger to my drill so did it manually!), cleaned out the shockingly dusty insides with a vacuum, and placed the filter

Hardest part was getting the rubber seal to fit back properly and some of the screws in weird angles haha!

definitely got to explore the car and was a fun task! Almost glad Tesla refused to do the install lol!

Also the part that’s installed inside is the same part and even says HEPA Filter, but doesn’t have the actual filter, just the plastic, so technically Tesla would be “replacing a default part” and should have been offering to do it, but oh well definitely no complaints!

Was $300 including tax CAD for the filter. Anyone in Ontario looking to do it, I was able to get the Mississauga location to order me the part, previously both Oakville and Lawrence were unable to do so.

Part arrived in less than a week!
Before:
8E880CF3-3D39-4729-AFCE-9AF9AEC53FF9.jpeg

After:
9731D15C-1C5C-40F5-A792-D9C4231E13D7.jpeg

when changing the filter yourself, do you need SC to an over the air update to have the tesla notice that there is a HEPA filter?

I don't think there will be any update, from what I gather you can order & install the HEPA but the software is not updated.

From what I gathered, bio-defense mode is simply cranking your vents to max which then creates "cabin pressure" where air can only exit all other non air tight spots and not enter...

what filter did you purchase from amazon?? can you post the number or description?? i was thinking the same thing... just buy a filter and pop it in as the part looks the same...

Just be warned, although it will definitely provide some filtration it will most likely be inferior to actual. Even harder is to ensure the materials being used are proven safe, not slowly disintegrating and flowing into your lungs. Plus when we are hit by the zombie virus and you may still get a slight yearning for brains... ;)

Not trying to knock after market, but the amount of knock offs, rip offs, and plain fakes makes me never if rarely purchase when it's health or safety... besides this is a $200 filter... you bought a frikk'n Tesla so it can't possibly be a budget issue. :)

Reactions: Icey
what filter did you purchase from amazon?? can you post the number or description?? i was thinking the same thing... just buy a filter and pop it in as the part looks the same...

I ordered this filter:

https://www.amazon.com/TeslaHome-Fi...id=1530824249&sr=sr-1&keywords=model+x+filter

It's confusing at first because it's labeled "cabin filter", but you can see the photos of it unfolded. It doesn't specifically say HEPA, but does specify filtering out PM2.5 particles so effectively a HEPA filter. This one also has carbon to stop odors.

Just be warned, although it will definitely provide some filtration it will most likely be inferior to actual. Even harder is to ensure the materials being used are proven safe, not slowly disintegrating and flowing into your lungs. Plus when we are hit by the zombie virus and you may still get a slight yearning for brains... ;)

Not trying to knock after market, but the amount of knock offs, rip offs, and plain fakes makes me never if rarely purchase when it's health or safety... besides this is a $200 filter... you bought a frikk'n Tesla so it can't possibly be a budget issue. :)

Correct, not a budget issue. I had no luck buying the OEM part from Tesla and just got tired of their BS. The only risk I run with a 3rd party filter is that it does not filter as well. No safety risk versus no filter at all as the only active ingredient is carbon.

Correct, not a budget issue. I had no luck buying the OEM part from Tesla and just got tired of their BS. The only risk I run with a 3rd party filter is that it does not filter as well. No safety risk versus no filter at all as the only active ingredient is carbon.

Thanks for the link! I agree I don't see a safety risk, but want the option like bflat says if I get the run around.

So I guess the other question is whey can't I just order the replacement filter and not the whole part from Tesla? Has anyone tried yet to order just the filter?? Or am I missing something? I would think the filter by itself would be a lot cheaper and unless I'm missing something you would just pop it in like bflat did.

How is the fit from the one from amazon? Any pictures?

Perfect fit. It has some thin foam around the edges to get an air tight fit. You have to push the filter all the way in so it is flush with the inner frame of the filter box. The bottom edge of the filter box extends further out than to top so don't use that as a guide. The bottom edge extends out to create space for air to flow up from the bottom. If you only align the filter to the box edges, then you will block the air flow. Sorry but don't have any pics but the ones above clearly show the bottom edge of the filter box extends further out than the top.

Thanks for the link! I agree I don't see a safety risk, but want the option like bflat says if I get the run around.

So I guess the other question is whey can't I just order the replacement filter and not the whole part from Tesla? Has anyone tried yet to order just the filter?? Or am I missing something? I would think the filter by itself would be a lot cheaper and unless I'm missing something you would just pop it in like bflat did.
You can't purchase just the filter from Tesla. It's sold as a whole assembly from Tesla for $200.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20180707-113939_Xodo Docs.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180707-113939_Xodo Docs.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 137
How / where can you order a HEPA filter? Is it just a case of ringing up the nearest SC's and seeing if they will sell one to you? I have an X on order and ideally would like to try to get one ordered while I am waiting for the vehicle to be built / delivered.

I did try emailing my OA but didn't get a reply.