Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla y cabin temperature warning when parked at 70° outside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked my Tesla Y outside when it was 70° outside for a couple of hours. I got the warning that my cabin overheat protection had engaged and the car interior was being cool down. I did not think it was warm enough outside to have caused the interior to have gotten that warm. Will this happen every time I park it outside during the summer

You'd be surprised at how much a car interior heats as soon as some sun hits it... Even worse if your car is a dark color. Yes, the interior probably hit 100F... As already said, you can disable that if you don't want the feature. I believe you can also leave the feature on and just disable the notification for that particular event. Note that cabin overheat protection only works for the first 12h after you've parked the car...

You can also set Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) to only run the HVAC fan (No AC). This will reduce the amount of energy consumed by COP. This will help reduce the cabin temperature but not maintain the temperature below 105F. My experience, in July, on a sunny day COP with AC and the 105 default temperature limit will consume 750Wh per hour during daytime (COP only remains active for 12 hours after the Tesla Model Y has been parked.) COP with No AC (fan only) will consume 1/3rd as much energy.

I parked my Tesla Y outside when it was 70° outside for a couple of hours. I got the warning that my cabin overheat protection had engaged and the car interior was being cool down. I did not think it was warm enough outside to have caused the interior to have gotten that warm. Will this happen every time I park it outside during the summer
Yes the interior will easily get to 100F if parked in the sun when 70F outside. To answer your last question, yes it is likely. I'd use a windshield visor and turn overheat protection off if you're concerned about battery/range.

Yes especially under the sun - your Model Y is like a green house on wheels.

I don't ever think that I've seen a overheat engaged message.
First, turn it to off or at least no A/C. There's really no reason to cool the car down. It was built like all cars and the interior can easily handle the heat. If there is the option for the set temperature, turn it to well above 100 degrees.

If you leave the A/C on, it will consume a fair amount of the battery during the summer months in many locations.

And yes, my car was setting in outside temps of around 65 the other day and the insides were at least 90, probable more like 110+. Solar radiation is a powerful thing. Heck, you could probably heat the car to a toasty temp with freezing temps outside. That's not just a Tesla, that's any car.

And if you don't like the car being hot when you get to it, turn the A/C on in the app as you head toward the car.
If you don't want to do that, then once you get in the car, the A/C will be a full power in seconds, unlike other cars where the car has to have the engine running high.

Probably. Just because its 70 Degrees outside, it doesnt mean the inside of your car hasnt gotten to 120+ degrees... just like every single other car ever you have owned. The only difference is your other cars likely did not have a feature to notify you.

Cars getting extremely hot inside in a short amount of time, in moderate outside heat, is the exact reason there are always so many warnings about "dont leave pets and kids in a parked cars, even for a few minutes".

If you dont want that message you can turn off cabin overheat protection, as previously mentioned in this thread.

I am very happy that the window controls are finally back in the app so I can easily lower all my windows on hot days. This past winter, at 28º F outside, I noticed that the app said the interior of my car was 118 degrees. I thought that was unlikely until I went out and checked. Sure 'nuf, it was cooking in there. This will be my first summer with the car. I wonder how hot it might get if I don't crack the windows or set the overheat protection to ON?

I am very happy that the window controls are finally back in the app so I can easily lower all my windows on hot days. This past winter, at 28º F outside, I noticed that the app said the interior of my car was 118 degrees. I thought that was unlikely until I went out and checked. Sure 'nuf, it was cooking in there. This will be my first summer with the car. I wonder how hot it might get if I don't crack the windows or set the overheat protection to ON?

140+ degrees, probably..... same as every other car you and everyone else has ever owned, parked in the sun. This one, though, you can cool off by turning on the AC remotely for 10 minutes, whether its parked in the sun or not, or whether cabin overheat protection is on, or not.

Yes, about the remote A/C. The work parking lot is strangely somehow situated in a wireless void, despite being in the Chicago suburbs and which is completely peppered with every form of 5G. It is a mystery, and others at work seem to have the same problems. So sadly, the remote A/C fuctionality isn't reliable enough to use there.

When I park at work, it will be in the open sunshine for most of the day, and for some reason, the landlord there has never asked me if they could build me a private garage to park it in. :D There are a couple large trees that sometimes have open spots, but between a furnace of heat vs. under all the bird poop, pine sap and other buggy material accumulating on the white paint, I am torn. Cook it or clean it. A tiny electric scooter is looking good. The window vent function is one answer, but I can't trust the thousands of people per day walking past my car.

NOTE: I edited this before I saw your response below.

Last edited:
When I park at work, it will be in the open sunshine for most of the day, and for some reason, the landlord there has never asked me if they could build me a private garage to park it in. :D There are a couple large trees that sometimes have open spots, but between a furnace of heat vs. under all the bird poop, pine sap and other buggy material accumulating on the white paint, I am torn. Cook it or clean it. A tiny electric scooter is looking good. The window vent function is one answer, but I can't trust the thousands of people per day walking past my car.

So, dont worry about venting it and remotely turn on the AC 10 minutes before you get ready to go, the same way I have been doing since late 2018 when I got my model 3... and park your car in the same place you did your last one. This one wont melt from being in the sun either, just like that one didnt.

Reactions: 804son and yblaser
Car = Greenhouse (effect)

You can also set Cabin Overheat Protection (COP) to only run the HVAC fan (No AC). This will reduce the amount of energy consumed by COP. This will help reduce the cabin temperature but not maintain the temperature below 105F. My experience, in July, on a sunny day COP with AC and the 105 default temperature limit will consume 750Wh per hour during daytime (COP only remains active for 12 hours after the Tesla Model Y has been parked.) COP with No AC (fan only) will consume 1/3rd as much energy.
It used to kick in at 105, but since they made it adjustable the options I see now are 90/95/100 F. I really wish Tesla would allow higher options. 100 is too low. I think 110-120 would work well and not use so much energy keeping the cabin unnecessarily cool in a blazing parking lot.

A related question on this topic: After disabling the cabin overheat protection, will the car's interior degrade after several years of ownership? I don't mind getting into a hot car, but I would rather not have my dashboard peeling apart after 10 years in the hot sun (exaggeration).

It used to kick in at 105, but since they made it adjustable the options I see now are 90/95/100 F. I really wish Tesla would allow higher options. 100 is too low. I think 110-120 would work well and not use so much energy keeping the cabin unnecessarily cool in a blazing parking lot.
Tesla put the Cabin Overheat Protection feature with the Tesla Model Y safety features. 105F is way too high a temperature threshold to be safe for anyone inside a vehicle. Even 90F to 100F could cause heat stroke. Fan Only COP (No AC) does provide some benefit (other than safety) as the hot air (could be 140F+) inside the vehicle is continuously vented and replaced with less warm outside air. Cooling down the passenger cabin while preconditioning is faster and requires less energy when the passenger cabin is ~120F instead of ~140F

A related question on this topic: After disabling the cabin overheat protection, will the car's interior degrade after several years of ownership? I don't mind getting into a hot car, but I would rather not have my dashboard peeling apart after 10 years in the hot sun (exaggeration).
I doubt you'll have any issues. If you're worried you could use a windshield visor. I got this one which has been great. Keeps the interior temps down significantly. The front windows and windshield will block the majority of UV rays, so there shouldn't be much degradation due to UV.