Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y Pictures - Interior and Exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone with access to the car measure the distance between the two center-most ISO-fix points? Middle of the metal-loop. I have found this to be the most exact way to measure the with of the middle seat, at least for us that use two child car seats in the rear. Will my 10 year old have more space in the middle?

Reactions: BM3B
Yes, was watching a Model Y video and the interior looked smooth and there was no obvious place for securing a shelf.

I can’t really believe this. I almost never leave my hatch back uncovered. For me, this might be a deal breaker.

I don’t understand Tesla sometimes. They do awesome things and then just leave something out that you take for granted.

Reactions: paddlegirl7
Yes, was watching a Model Y video and the interior looked smooth and there was no obvious place for securing a shelf.

I can’t really believe this. I almost never leave my hatch back uncovered. For me, this might be a deal breaker.

I don’t understand Tesla sometimes. They do awesome things and then just leave something out that you take for granted.

Shouldn't be impossible to design an aftermarket shelf. Just need to screw some mounts for it.

I remember someone telling the glasses are tinted well and guy wasn't able to see anything inside

Tesla might sell it as additional add-on to buy

Last edited:
This isn't true, I just measured and the arm rest to arm rest of the second row seat is exactly 51.25" in both cars. I expected the Y to be larger, but nope.

bummer. Was hoping it was at least 2-3” wider than the 3. Unfortunately this will be a deal breaker for replacing my grand Cherokee as a family vehicle. Grand cherokee is more like 56” across the back seats and that is a very tight fit to get 3 booster seats in.

Floor mats are different looking.

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_065710.jpg
    IMG_20200314_065710.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20200314_065643.jpg
    IMG_20200314_065643.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 100
Very interesting! You posted a photo looking into the opening where a hitch receiver might be (but isn't). Photo appears to show the structure of the deep trunk compartment. And that extends all the way down to the inside of the undertray or the rear bumper. Interesting that the structure of the deep trunk compartment is not metal -- appears to be some composite material.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that trunk well is constructed from stamped sheet metal in other Tesla models. We remember that the Model 3 was criticized for overly complex design and construction is this area. And Elon famously said he fired the engineer who designed it. So the Model Y is dramatically different in this area: fewer parts, large aluminum die castings in the rear of the car body (there was an article posted on InsideEVs.com), and composites replacing metal.

Thanks. Lots to say here, but the bottom line is that it looks good. More practical storage space than I expected. At least from the video, it doesn't look shoddy or rushed.

He comments about the new speakers in the doors. From what I've read, those are new because they make room for those two side compartments in the back.

It just occurred to me that the speakers in the hatch would make for awesome tailgating music!

Reactions: Electric Steve
So...
1. No HomeLink (clicker on visor, really?)
2. No trailer hitch (maybe Euro version)
3. Not quieter than Model 3
4. No retractable panel shelf
5. Betting the larger cell phones don't fit the charger space (S20 Ultra, I Phone 11 Pro Max)

Not deal breakers but disappointments. 1-3 more than the others. So the real benefit over the Model 3 is seat height and Home Depot runs.

If the power hatch had a foot swipe it would be a benefit but otherwise it just slows down the open/close process. With my hands full I don't want to reach for my phone or the button. Nor do I want to stand in the rain waiting for the slow opening hatch. Somewhat like the summon trick, by the time I pull out my phone, open the app wait for it to connect and the car to slowly drive to me.. I could have walked to the car and been half a mile away. I do think it cleaver but really not useful. I am sure there will be an aftermarket foot swipe soon.

I am still interested in it and may buy one but will happily give up fart mode for any item on my list.

Is there really no parcel / cargo shelf?
If so, that seems such a strange omission.
The X doesn't have it either.
It's in the Tesla DNA.

Hopefully, the secondary accessories market will take up this potentially $25M opportunity.

In the mean time - new paradigm is to use the frunk ot the rear underfloor storage trays to hide your belonging. Not a deal breaker my any means.

It's been mentioned elsewhere that Homelink is a $300 option requiring installation.

But I'm with you on these being mild disappointments that aren't dealbreakers.
is definitely frustrating considering it was a part of the package up until a couple weeks ago. It'd be really unfair if they don't let customers that ordered before February get the package included. I have a screenshot showing that it should be with it.