Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y Pictures - Interior and Exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may not notice on a short test drive, but you will when you're at highway speed for 40+ minutes.
Compared to any premium European car it's very loud. I've had it for a year and taken it on many road trips.
Ok. I did take it on the highway, but I might have been too excited by the driving to notice the noise.

There's no shortage of YT videos about fixing the wind noise on a Model 3, though.

I really need to know the height of the passenger seat at its lowest setting. Attached are pics of the seat measurement. My wife is in a wheelchair and I have to transfer her into the seat.View attachment 521731View attachment 521732

Have some interest in that as well, as my wife has a weak leg due to a stroke. She could get into our BMW X3 so it likely isn't a problem, but good to know.

Reactions: Electric Steve
There's no shortage of YT videos about fixing the wind noise on a Model 3, though.

Yeah I've tried all of that, including filling outside gaps with rubber. Even Tesla Bjorn's 'professional' soundproofing didn't do much. There's just no replicating factory sound deadening. You would have pull the whole car apart to add materials, understand the sources and tame resonate frequencies, have perfect seals around the glass, etc. It's not magic, but it needs to be designed with the car. Anyways, sorry for taking the thread off-topic.

Is there really no parcel / cargo shelf?
If so, that seems such a strange omission.

While I’d like a shelf option, I have to say that covers are a problem. Cars with visible cargo covers are statistically more likely to be broken into, especially when parked near retail stores/ malls. Even if there’s nothing under the cover, thieves will bust a car open just to look. An in-place cargo cover says you’re hiding something.

Yeah I've tried all of that, including filling outside gaps with rubber. Even Tesla Bjorn's 'professional' soundproofing didn't do much. There's just no replicating factory sound deadening. You would have pull the whole car apart to add materials, understand the sources and tame resonate frequencies, have perfect seals around the glass, etc. It's not magic, but it needs to be designed with the car. Anyways, sorry for taking the thread off-topic.
Ok. I mean, it's pretty clear that the 3/Y just isn't as luxurious as traditional vehicles in that price range.

Tesla's kind of lampshaded this by opting for a spartan interior, but it's not as soundproofed. So if you're used to nicer cars, I can see why it would be a dealbreaker. For me, not so much; my car's noisy at any speed.

The only thing I wonder about now is what the alternative would be for you. A Model X?

Reactions: polyphonic54
Yeah, I agree with that, though I love the minimalist interior otherwise.
There are a bunch of luxury EVs coming to market this year and next, but I'm particularly interested in the E-Tron SUV.
Well, it certainly looks nice, especially on the inside. But if I googled right, it's 5.5s from 0-60. That's not really in Tesla territory.

While I’d like a shelf option, I have to say that covers are a problem. Cars with visible cargo covers are statistically more likely to be broken into, especially when parked near retail stores/ malls. Even if there’s nothing under the cover, thieves will bust a car open just to look. An in-place cargo cover says you’re hiding something.

Well it’s a societal difference then.

In the UK, hatch backs cars are more common than saloons and nearly all hatch backs have covers that are in place nearly all of the time.

Maybe we’ll get a cargo cover when the Model Y makes it here in 2022!

Well it’s a societal difference then.

In the UK, hatch backs cars are more common than saloons and nearly all hatch backs have covers that are in place nearly all of the time.

Maybe we’ll get a cargo cover when the Model Y makes it here in 2022!

I've never heard of thieves breaking into a car just to look..so I cant speak to that. I will say I removed the cargo cover from my Velar and keep it in the garage. I find it's in the way more than it's useful, and I honestly never keep stuff in the back anyway. So maybe that part is a societal difference.

I've never heard of thieves breaking into a car just to look..so I cant speak to that. I will say I removed the cargo cover from my Velar and keep it in the garage. I find it's in the way more than it's useful, and I honestly never keep stuff in the back anyway. So maybe that part is a societal difference.
My $0.02.

It's like postcards. If everyone used them by default, then the few sealed envelopes would be targets for being torn open in case they have cash.

If cargo covers aren't used much because they limit available space and generally get in the way, then having them on (especially while parked near retailers) would make you a target for break-ins made in the hope that there's something being hidden.

• Disagree
Reactions: Watts_Up and KRG21
One of the obvious reasons for a cargo cover, is for safety. It will secure the cargo in the back, and stop you from getting killed by something semi heavy flying through the air and hit you, in a head on crash. Either you need a cargo cover or a net seperating the back from the seating. Its common sense, and make the trunk far more usable. You can actually use the whole space, all the way to the roof.

Reactions: Watts_Up
One of the obvious reasons for a cargo cover, is for safety. It will secure the cargo in the back, and stop you from getting killed by something semi heavy flying through the air and hit you, in a head on crash. Either you need a cargo cover or a net seperating the back from the seating. Its common sense, and make the trunk far more usable. You can actually use the whole space, all the way to the roof.
I agree. That's why it should come with hooks to attach a net or cover or whatever else you like, without drilling.

Reactions: Watts_Up
what kind of heavy item would even get past the rear seats?

Wouldn't you purposefully load heavy items at the bottom versus at the top? Probably better to load stuff like that in plastic totes if it's that at risk of shifting and putting them near the bottom.

Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing some attachment points for a cargo net. Just trying to understand how I would get killed by storing stuff in the back of a Model Y.