Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y Pictures - Interior and Exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what kind of heavy item would even get past the rear seats?

Wouldn't you purposefully load heavy items at the bottom versus at the top? Probably better to load stuff like that in plastic totes if it's that at risk of shifting and putting them near the bottom.

Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing some attachment points for a cargo net. Just trying to understand how I would get killed by storing stuff in the back of a Model Y.
Right, I wouldn't storing a javelin up high even with a parcel cover LOL.

So not going to put arnold weights up high either.

Reactions: Electric Steve
A small difference in road noise may very well be due to the tires. From SilverSmith's photos, it looks like PYD uses Pirelli P Zeros, which are quiet tires. The Michelin PS4S that comes on P3D are a bit louder according to Consumer Reports, although they're still better than average.
I drove my Model 3 with the back seat down and the tires noise is quite noticeable on freeway above 65 miles/h.

Since the Model Y don't have a trunk cover, the tires noise might be also quite noticeable

Reactions: malou
It would be nice if we could get confirmation that the HomeLink module for the 3 will also work in the Y. I’m 98% sure that it’s the same module but there’s always that chance they changed something.
It is plug and play or does the service center needs to activate it?

TeslaM3_HomelinkTop.jpg

Catching up here. A few thoughts:
  • HomeLink - This is disappointing. But, if we want to blame someone that this isn't present in Model Y, we can look at ourselves. My understanding is that they looked at the data and discovered that most people never set it up, using their standard clicker instead. Obvious place to cut a seemingly unnecessary cost from their perspective.

• Cargo Cover - In about three weeks you will have options from every aftermarket vendor. As many have already mentioned, like HomeLink, this is a feature that you assume everyone desperately wants and needs...and then you find out that most people don't care, don't use it, and was another obvious place to cut a cost for Tesla.

• Noise - It appears there's quite a lot of consternation about this topic when all that we have is one anecdotal "Not as quiet as Model 3." I have no reason not to believe that poster...but I'm not going to worry about it or cancel my order. Some real-world data would be nice before we get our noses out of joint. Most people coming from fossil fuel cars will say what everyone that gets in my Model 3 says - "Wow, this is so quiet!" Thus, not a major priority for Tesla to add expense for further noise reduction.

• Tow Hitch - I had zero expectation that this would be included as standard equipment, so I'm not disappointed. This is another item that would have made no sense for Tesla to eat the expense on. A very small percentage of owners would ever remove the cover, let alone use it. For those that need it, the software may arrive soon.

• Rear Seat Width - I would have never noticed this or cared about it had I not seen the measurements and conversation here. It may be an issue for some people with car seats, which could be a true bummer for them. For the masses, it will not be something anyone thinks about or causes them concern.

• Lack of Auto-Dimming Mirrors - I have not seen this one confirmed, but it has been mentioned as a concern. Do we know if this is really the case? If so, this one is probably the one I'll be most upset about, as it is a safety feature.

• Redesigned Floor Mats - Tesla's stock mats are notoriously garbage. I don't like it either, but it is what it is. Do yourself a favor and spend a couple hundred bucks on some nice all-weather mats that will last. I have the Maxpider Kagu mats for my Model 3. Best money I've spent on aftermarket accessories by a long, long way. I want the same for the Y.

I'm still super excited for the Model Y. The profitability of the company and acceleration of the mission supersede my potential annoyance with these issues. Our obsessing over these issues is not representative of the vast majority of owners. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Right, I wouldn't storing a javelin up high even with a parcel cover LOL.

So not going to put arnold weights up high either.
The manual explicitly says not to. From page 18:

place heavy cargo in the lower trunk
compartment.
Caution: To avoid damage, never load
more than 130 lbs (60 kg) on the rear
load floor (above the lower trunk
compartment) or more than 285 lbs (130
kg) in the lower trunk compartment.
Doing so can cause damage.​

This suggests that a typical adult can't safely crawl around on the rear load floor, the way you might if you were shoving some boxes in deep. Not sure if that's a real thing or just them covering their, uhm... assets.

• Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz and VQTRVA
Ok. I mean, it's pretty clear that the 3/Y just isn't as luxurious as traditional vehicles in that price range.

Tesla's kind of lampshaded this by opting for a spartan interior, but it's not as soundproofed. So if you're used to nicer cars, I can see why it would be a dealbreaker. For me, not so much; my car's noisy at any speed.

The only thing I wonder about now is what the alternative would be for you. A Model X?

I agree with you. But I find that the autopilot and 0-60 in 3.5 is an extremely good deal for 74K. My old V12 did 0-60 in 2.9 and I assure you it was noisy and significantly more than 74K.

Reactions: Electric Steve