Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y Pictures - Interior and Exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Catching up here. A few thoughts:
  • Lack of Auto-Dimming Mirrors - I have not seen this one confirmed, but it has been mentioned as a concern. Do we know if this is really the case? If so, this one is probably the one I'll be most upset about, as it is a safety feature.
The manual says the rear view mirror auto dims, but I didn't see anything about the exterior mirrors.
Yeah, Model Y is just like Model 3 - rear view mirror auto dims but not the side view mirrors.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
You may not notice on a short test drive, but you will when you're at highway speed for 40+ minutes.
Compared to any premium European car it's very loud. I've had it for a year and taken it on many road trips.
When did you get your 3? I thought I read somewhere that Tesla had made some changes and newer 3's were quieter but I could definitely be mistaken. I got my Model 3 in early 2018 and I agree it's noisier then I would like.

Catching up here. A few thoughts:

<summary of various items>

I'm still super excited for the Model Y. The profitability of the company and acceleration of the mission supersede my potential annoyance with these issues. Our obsessing over these issues is not representative of the vast majority of owners. My 2 cents.

I agree with your last sentence. Support the company. That's one reason I don't care about things like Homelink as well. My wife was surprised I had her schedule to have it installed as soon as we picked up her model 3, I am notoriously cheap so she figured she'd just be doing the clicker on the visor bit. But I figure if it helps keep Tesla on the map, kicking these old guard, has been car companies in the butt, then here's your $300 for homelink. I also don't care about the $100 order "fee".

Its also been interesting to see how different the needs are for every buyer, its easy to kind of fall into thinking that whatever you think is important is important to everyone, when it isn't. Its like every consumer product, really.. there isn't some "one brand/model to rule them all". Different strokes for different folks.

I am continually surprised that Tesla falling into the "premium car" category causes some people to consider going back to ICE because Model 3 / Y isn't exactly up to snuff in that regard (debatable, I guess, but I've owned quite a few high end BMWs and I think Tesla falls short there). I would never go back to ICE over something like that. But, if you just want a nice car or a fast car and "how it works" doesn't matter to you, then I guess that's an option.

Returning to "being super excited for the Model Y", I also agree. What I am looking for from Tesla is greatly simplified mechanicals vs ICE, greatly simplified interior, potentially exceptional vehicle longevity, electric drive and one pedal driving. I don't care about self driving, or that the car is super fast or that it is luxurious or that it is super quiet or it has super futuristic gadgetry like auto leveling / road following space headlights or auto presenting door handles or EVEN DOORS. Not only does the Y already fit the bill for all of that on paper, but nobody but Tesla offers this "package" right now .. so the choice is pretty slam dunk. Beyond that, with AWD and the hatch and now a heat pump, I even dare to think that the Model Y will be a forever car.

Looking at the walk around vid, it appears that they changed the door rubber mouldings so that they stay in place better, presumably less wrinkling near the corners. The B-pillar appears to have a different rubber moulding at the bottom as well. The rockers are covered in ABS, which wraps smoothly over the wheel wells and the rear bumper cover. Hopefully, that'll mitigate some of the sandblasting issues some areas have, though I can still see that on the performance tires, you'll still need just a tiny mudflap to totally eliminate grit from getting out and hitting the lower parts of the door, and the flare in front of the rear wheel well.

I'll go check again but I'm almost positive the side mirrors dim on our model 3.

EDIT: Yes, they dim on my practically base model 3 (SR+)
Interesting. What month/year is your Model 3? We have a March 2019 Model 3P+ and I haven't ever noticed our side view mirrors dim. Will need to check that tomorrow evening. There is no mention of side view mirror dimming (only rear view mirror dimming) in the Model 3 Owner's Manual.

Interesting. What month/year is your Model 3? We have a March 2019 Model 3P+ and I haven't ever noticed our side view mirrors dim. Will need to check that tomorrow evening. There is no mention of side view mirror dimming (only rear view mirror dimming) in the Model 3 Owner's Manual.
2020, built last December. You can see the small line around the border of the side mirrors.

You may not notice on a short test drive, but you will when you're at highway speed for 40+ minutes.
Compared to any premium European car it's very loud. I've had it for a year and taken it on many road trips.
Recent Model 3? Or early?

I would say my 2020 Model 3 is definitely quieter than my BMW 328xi and similar to our Mercedes GLK350 and GLC300. I would not say my Model 3 is very loud.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Watched TeslaRaj’s and Ryan Shaw’s walkthroughs, and here are my 20 öre (2 cents for you, my amerikan friends)
The pin that secures the middle seat to the left passenger seat is there for a reason. My 2019 Volvo V90 has a different solution, keeping it as a 40/60 opening, with a hole to put small packets or most important here in Scandinavia, skis through. The hole is 17,5x22cm big, and I would much more prefer a hole like you get with a 40/20/40 solution in the MY, even though you will have a pin in the way. Do other brands have a better solution for this problem?

The other one is the lack of a cover for the trunk. I don’t care much for the cover itself, but I don’t like that the MY lacks a mesh from floor to roof behind the passenger seat. I would not dare to stack cases on top of each other like TeslaRaj did, without one of these meshes.
a picture of my Volvo, with the little hole (couldn’t open it because of stuff in the trunk, but you see the hatch, you can also see the mesh/net cover to secure the passenger compartment from the trunk.

Attachments

• 4D7DE21B-DC03-4B33-B6AA-ED211C1E299B.jpeg
    4D7DE21B-DC03-4B33-B6AA-ED211C1E299B.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 83
Well, an item like an iPad, would have a weight of 24 kg, if you have an head on crash in 50 km/h. At 100 km/h the weight is 96 kg. Pretty basic knowledge that even reasonably light items can cause serious injuries, if not secured.
There are basics for living a safe life that people have to learn.
Not securing flying projectile is one of them.

I quit making excuses a long time ago for people who don't have the bare minimum to leave their house & not endangering themselves or others.

• Funny
Reactions: Y_Wait
Just like the X and S, the X really doesnt have much more functional storage than an S. Rich rebuilds did a video on it, he calls the X pretty much useless over the S.

Unless you need the extra height and seating comfort.. for people with injuries or bad knees, SUV's are a god send and almost requirement. I know I can't drive more then an hour in a normal car without my knee issues flaring up. I would have loved a Model 3.. but I could never get a comfortable seating position.. hence the Model Y :) Also bending over to put kids in a car is a pain as well, especially for tall people, having taller cars is also very much needed for some people. So I would never call the Model X or for that matter the Y useless...