Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLAA - Android Auto for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
A new app has been released in beta for Android which allows Android Auto to work on a Tesla.
It is a bit buggy by all accounts but it seems to work.

To get it to work you have to download the app and give it a bunch of scary permissions. I could not find it on a search of the play store but you can find it on this play store link: TeslAA - Android Auto over Tesla Browser - Apps on Google Play. It does cost £4.29 but I had a lot of credit anyway so thought I would give it a go.

Once it's running you simply connect your car to your phone hotspot, open the browser and go to www.androidwheels.com (which is directed to a local address on the phone via vpn) and bingo Android auto.
I have only had a quick play with it but it all seemed to work.

Inked20211002_104244_LI.jpg
20211002_103628.jpg
20211002_104805.jpg
Inked20211002_103845_LI.jpg

I'm usually a fan of new tech and have the many scars of an early Android adopter but... why? What does it do better? In addition to the car's built in gubbins?
I have never actually used AA but a few things come to mind for me personally I might use it for.
  • The in car nav is not the best I have ever used and this would give me access to google maps as an alternative should I want one. For say a journey with waypoints
  • I like listening to Podcasts and this would give me better control over them than what the steering wheel controls allow
  • The car can only replay SMS messages so this might be a way to access other platforms like WhatsApp while driving
  • I tend to use google play music aka YouTube music rather than Spotify so could access this while driving.

Been trying this out earlier today and must say, fairly "seemless" and very well put together.

Note: I make use of the AAWireless dongle (backer campaign from a while ago - still shipping i believe) to enable full fat wireless android auto in standard vehicles where its 'cable only' and that too worked a treat - so given that, was more inclined to give this a shot given the past experience with 'promising a working a product' and therefore delivering 'a working product' from AAWireless.

Figure its NEVER bad to have options - it might not be as slick as a native capability to play Audible (something i wished Tesla had vs the bluetooth audio approach to stick with), but i'll take "options" over not having anything at all.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.

This is really good. Very smooth mapping. Good for voice control via google. Useful for WhatsApp. I wish someone would sort out WhatsApp voice calling but thats another issue. Might work through the TeslAA better go check it. I cannot wait until the keep wifi on appears!