Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslacam Right-repeater cam not recording and is extra pixelated -sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When there is a problem, most of the time it's my right repeater that has 0MB files, but there have been instances where the right is fine and it's the left repeater with 0MB files. Sometimes the right or left repeater file sizes are small and the video is pixelated, other times everything works fine. Never had an issue with the Recent folder so I don't think it's a physical repeater problem for me.

Maybe those who have not had any issues at all can post what their using? We can collect some data in case certain drives perform better than others?

Even folks with SSDs have reported issues like this- it's not a drive problem.

It has been happening to me through several software versions. To both right and left cameras. Most recently with version 2019.16.2 and hardware 2.5. Tesla techs have told me it's a known issue.

When there is a problem, most of the time it's my right repeater that has 0MB files, but there have been instances where the right is fine and it's the left repeater with 0MB files. Sometimes the right or left repeater file sizes are small and the video is pixelated, other times everything works fine. Never had an issue with the Recent folder so I don't think it's a physical repeater problem for me.

Maybe those who have not had any issues at all can post what their using? We can collect some data in case certain drives perform better than others?

Many of us have ruled out an issue with the USB drive. Most of us are using USB drives which operate under high temperature, low power, and are high-speed (far higher than required for writing these small video files).

The main difference I have seen has been between firmware releases. I have had relatively stable releases, and then from time to time, unstable releases. This morning, all of my video files worked fine on the way to the office. Yesterday, they were working only partially. There seems to be some operating condition which is restricting the ability to write and/or transcode the video files reliably. If I had access to the MCU, I'd keep an eye on the resources (using tools like atop). Some people on this forum have access to their MCU's, but I don't know anyone who's on modern MCU and AP hardware that does. Perhaps @verygreen might have an idea.

Many of us have ruled out an issue with the USB drive. Most of us are using USB drives which operate under high temperature, low power, and are high-speed (far higher than required for writing these small video files).

The main difference I have seen has been between firmware releases. I have had relatively stable releases, and then from time to time, unstable releases. This morning, all of my video files worked fine on the way to the office. Yesterday, they were working only partially. There seems to be some operating condition which is restricting the ability to write and/or transcode the video files reliably. If I had access to the MCU, I'd keep an eye on the resources (using tools like atop). Some people on this forum have access to their MCU's, but I don't know anyone who's on modern MCU and AP hardware that does. Perhaps @verygreen might have an idea.

I don't think it's a USB issue too. When you push the record button for dash cam, those files are written without an issue. Maybe the method of writing is different, where dash cam is stored on emmc then copied over, versus direct write to the USB.

I don't think it's a USB issue too. When you push the record button for dash cam, those files are written without an issue.

This isn't the case for me. Writing to an SSD, pressed the button to record (to capture an event where my car was rear-ended), and the files are partially corrupt.

I've convinced myself that it's an encoding bug, and will be fixed in a subsequent software update.

• Informative
Reactions: phtp
what do you mean by dashcam mode. do you mean if you look in the dashcam folder, not the sentry saved folder?
For me the TeslaCam folder just has two folders, one is RecentClips and another is SavedClips. Dashcam videos are stored in the RecentClips folder. Does this answer your question?
One screenshot of the left repeater camera.

Attachments

• Sentry_left.png
    Sentry_left.png
    983 KB · Views: 94
This isn't the case for me. Writing to an SSD, pressed the button to record (to capture an event where my car was rear-ended), and the files are partially corrupt.

I've convinced myself that it's an encoding bug, and will be fixed in a subsequent software update.
if airbags deployed/car otherwise noticed the accident, demand Tesla to provide the recording to you, they take recordings of all such events. it's only 6.5/5 seconds (depending on cam in question) but they absolutely do collect them.

if airbags deployed/car otherwise noticed the accident, demand Tesla to provide the recording to you, they take recordings of all such events. it's only 6.5/5 seconds (depending on cam in question) but they absolutely do collect them.

Thanks, that's good to know...I assume they actually have the rear facing camera then?

Anyway, no, the accident was quite minor, thankfully.

Thanks, that's good to know...I assume they actually have the rear facing camera then?

Anyway, no, the accident was quite minor, thankfully.
they most likely do have the rear cam (the cam itself appears to be quite flaky so sometimes the feed cuts, but I have not seen this particular failure scenario lately so perhaps they fixed it at least on hw2.5).

Of course don't just depend on Tesla just giving the footage to you and expect first level people to deny the footage even exists. But it does exist and Tesla has it, you just need to subpoena them for it I suspect.

I have been experiencing exactly the same issue: right-side cam is recording in an erratic, low-content, way -- or not at all. The problem occurs with considerable frequency. Interestingly, I have about two months of infrequent data that I have quickly reviewed; I didn't use a storage device (or use TeslaCam) previously. My drive is less than half used so, it is apparent that I haven't used sentry mode regularly and that there is no issue with inadequate storage space.

I will go through the files in more detail later but here is what I have seen so far:

* The issue has never occurred with the front or left camera.
* I will need to look at my files in more detail but I believe that, when the car is in motion, there has never been a problem. It seems that it only occurs when the car is parked (though I will confirm later).
* The problem seems to have evolved: it began two months ago with the right camera recording files that were approximately 10% smaller than the front and left files (which were roughly identical to each other in size). The files were still fully viable but the smaller file size gave a slight graininess to the image. Frankly, I wouldn't have noticed this if the current problem hadn't forced me to go back and review old files.
* Approximately one month ago there was a change: occasional absence of any right camera file. (Left and front were still good.) The problem was erratic: some times there was no right side recording (ie. empty file), while other recordings (later on the same day) showed the right camera recording perfectly. Further, one day everything was good...the next day, there were no good right-hand files.
* Now, over the past several days, the problem has evolved so that I have either empty right-side files OR right side files that are only 5% the size of either the left- or front-side cam files (and, therefore, virtually unusable).

I currently have firmware 2016.16.2.

As I said, I will review the files in greater detail but, so far, this deterioration of right-side files seems to be the prevailing problem.

Tesla, I think we need your help with this one.

While driving it seems like by right_repeater works fine and records everything but when I am parked nothing gets saved with the right_repeater. I really hope that Tesla fixes this with a software update soon.

If the worse happens and I get hit while parked on the right side, just would stink that the video proof I would have had if the repeater was working won’t be viewable anymore.

Tesla got back to me today essentially stating that the issue is still under review for a future software fix, with no ETA.

Hello Golan,

Hope all is well.

This email is a form of a follow up with a concern related to your Right Repeater that was brought to our attention on 05/10/2019 for further visibility.

After further investigation, it appears our Software Team is aware of the issue and actively working on fix to come in a future Software Update (version still pending)

In the meantime we advise in keeping the vehicle connected to WiFi to download and install Software Updates as they're released.

We appreciate your patience and correspondence during this matter.

Please reach back out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Cordialement (sincerely),

X | Advanced Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd. Draper, UT 84020

www.tesla.com/support