Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi and other AWS and GCP clients currently blocked access to Tesla API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mines not working either.

How easy is it to move a TeslaMate docker instance from one host to another? Looks like I’m going to have to ditch the GCP solution if this isn’t resolved soon, as I don’t really want to go down the Pi route.

Mines not working either.

How easy is it to move a TeslaMate docker instance from one host to another? Looks like I’m going to have to ditch the GCP solution if this isn’t resolved soon, as I don’t really want to go down the Pi route.

It will just be a case of re-installing and importing the backup.

I’d rather avoid the Pi too to be honest, but wondering what else they might lock down, could be a lot of moving about!

It will just be a case of re-installing and importing the backup.

I’d rather avoid the Pi too to be honest, but wondering what else they might lock down, could be a lot of moving about!
Well, one of the smaller providers should be safe, the trouble is finding one that isn’t white labelling AWS, GCP or Azure.

If I had more time I’d explore what’s involved in making TeslaMate proxy its API requests, or tunnelling the whole internet connection across a site-to-site VPN.

I don’t want to lose any data though, nor records of any driving I might do in the coming days, so need to sort something out.

Well, one of the smaller providers should be safe, the trouble is finding one that isn’t white labelling AWS, GCP or Azure.

If I had more time I’d explore what’s involved in making TeslaMate proxy its API requests, or tunnelling the whole internet connection across a site-to-site VPN.

I don’t want to lose any data though, nor records of any driving I might do in the coming days, so need to sort something out.

Digital Ocean might be worth a look, think that’s fairly cheap. If there’s no commitment I might have a bash today.

Digital Ocean might be worth a look, think that’s fairly cheap. If there’s no commitment I might have a bash today.
I am still speculating that Tesla is not being malicious here but due to the DDoS attacks they had 1-1.5 months ago might be blocking the IP ranges of cloud providers as a countermeasure against something we don't know about.

That said, I would suggest taking a look at Bahnhof for hosting. They are listed as a privacy focused host provider and it's 4 Euro a month.

Web Hosting | PrivacyTools

Virtual Private Server

I have my own AWS based logging service and that went down yesterday as well. I only just realised and mine has not come back on its own its just timing out when calling Tesla I think. Hmm annoying. Looks like they blocked all AWS IP's. Netflix did that a while ago to stop all the AWS hosted VPN's. That's really annoying I spent ages writing that. I guess Teslafi are using a VPN or something. I can probably do that but Teslafi must have a huge volume of Traffic if Tesla are serious they will easily be able to spot the Teslafi traffic and block it again. If this is what is going on it will only end one way eventually I'm afraid and it won't be good for Teslafi or the other data logging services

Still fine with Teslamate self-hosted on a RPi. It is beginning to look as if this may have been deliberate action by Tesla to reduce traffic to their servers, perhaps. Blocking the IP ranges of services like AWS and GCP is a dead simple way to block a lot of access, without harming any genuine Tesla app from working. If TeslaFi have just moved to another set of servers, and if Tesla do want to stop mass access, then I'd guess we may well just see whatever service TeslaFi have switched to blocked before long.

but Teslafi must have a huge volume of Traffic if Tesla are serious they will easily be able to spot the Teslafi traffic and block it again. If this is what is going on it will only end one way eventually I'm afraid and it won't be good for Teslafi or the other data logging services

Yes. If it turns into a cat and mouse game, we will then know Tesla's intentions and will be time to accept our fate. But I'm not convinced at present its their a long term aim - there would have been better ways to achieve this without blocking out large ranges of IP addresses. It strikes me as a quick and dirty temporary block at present.

Reactions: Roy W.
I have my own AWS based logging service and that went down yesterday as well. I only just realised and mine has not come back on its own its just timing out when calling Tesla I think. Hmm annoying. Looks like they blocked all AWS IP's. Netflix did that a while ago to stop all the AWS hosted VPN's. That's really annoying I spent ages writing that. I guess Teslafi are using a VPN or something. I can probably do that but Teslafi must have a huge volume of Traffic if Tesla are serious they will easily be able to spot the Teslafi traffic and block it again. If this is what is going on it will only end one way eventually I'm afraid and it won't be good for Teslafi or the other data logging services

I suspect you're right about the traffic Tesla are getting from services like TeslaFi. It may be that they are blocking AWS, Google, etc for some other reason though, perhaps related to some other activity? It could be that TeslaFi and similar services are just collateral damage, because someone at Tesla spotted lots of traffic from those services, couldn't see any good reason why those services should be able to talk to their servers, so just blocked their IPs to throttle traffic back. Might even have been something like @webbah mentioned in the other thread, that Tesla had been subjected to a DDoS attack using those services, so blocked them for that reason and the fact that it also blocked TeslaFi etc was just incidental.

Reactions: Roy W.
I am still speculating that Tesla is not being malicious here but due to the DDoS attacks they had 1-1.5 months ago might be blocking the IP ranges of cloud providers as a countermeasure against something we don't know about.

That said, I would suggest taking a look at Bahnhof for hosting. They are listed as a privacy focused host provider and it's 4 Euro a month.

Web Hosting | PrivacyTools

Virtual Private Server
I don't want to change hosting I am using AWS lambda, AWS API gateway and Dynamo DB which costs me about $0.20/month so I am pretty heavily locked into AWS without a major re-write and a lot more cost. I guess i will need to look at a proxy. sigh