Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

teslafi vs teslaspy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Judy. That's helpful.

One thing I want to mention is that TeslaFi does seem to take customer feedback into account when determining their improvement plans. If you haven't checked out the TeslaFi support site (General / TeslaFi), give it a look. You can see current feature requests as well as know whether a particular feature request is under review for implementation, upvote those you would like to see, and submit your own.

Reactions: David99 and jombolo
Here are some of my "standard" settings. I have others that come and go, but I find these to be most useful and valuable. Even if these were the ONLY settings I had, it would be worth $4.17 per month to me:

I leave home for work at 7:15am every weekday, so...
I have an event scheduled for 7:00am every weekday to "Set HVAC temperature" to 74 degrees Fahrenheit (in case I happen to have changed it at all the previous day)
I have another event scheduled for 7:05am every weekday to "Start HVAC" to precondition the car for me, but only if the car is at home and plugged in. That way (assuming I'm at home and remembered to plug the car in), regardless of the temperature outside, the vehicle interior (and battery) are all set for a comfortable and efficient drive.

I leave work for home at 4:00pm every weekday, so...
I have an event scheduled for 3:45pm every weekday to "Set HVAC temperature" to 74 degrees Fahrenheit (in case I happen to have changed it at all earlier in the day)
I have another event scheduled for 3:50pm every weekday to "Start HVAC" to precondition the car for me, but only if the car is at work and plugged in. That way (assuming I'm at work and remembered to plug the car in), regardless of the temperature outside, the vehicle interior (and battery) are all set for a comfortable and efficient drive.

I'm generally done driving and running errands for the day on weekdays by 10pm, so...
I have an SMS text alert set to remind me to plug my car in at 10pm on weekdays, but only if the car is at home, and it is not plugged in, AND only if the amount of charge of that battery at that time is less than 66%.
I have the same alert set to remind me to plug my car in at 12am on weekends, but only if the car is at home, and it is not plugged in, AND only if the amount of charge of that battery at that time is less than 66%.

I've gotten used to the vehicle auto-locking as I walk away. Unfortunately the phone-key isn't perfect. I've had a couple instances where the vehicle didn't lock, and I didn't know it. I park in a locked attached garage at home, but at work the vehicle would be accessible to pedestrians while unmonitored. So...
I set up an SMS text alert to remind me to lock the doors at 8:30am if the car is at work, and it is not locked.
I might be stuck in meetings or otherwise unable to get out to the car, so I have an event set up to lock the doors automatically at 9:00am if the vehicle is at work and the doors are still unlocked.

I've had a few instances where I've either forgotten to plug in (or someone has removed the plug from my vehicle) while at work, so...
I also have an SMS text alert to remind me to plug in my car every hour from 9:00am to 3:00pm on weekdays, but only if the car is at work, and it is not plugged in, AND only if the amount of charge of that battery at that time is less than 66%.

Frequently, when I need to park directly in the sun on a summer day, and I know what time I'm likely to return to the car, I log into the website from my phone and set up an event to "Start HVAC" 10 minutes or so before I expect to be back to the car, but only on that day of the week, and geofenced to that location if I have already tagged the location in the past. Then I remove the event the next time I happen to log into the website.
Danny,
when setting up schedules, can you explain what the "run once" box does? Maybe I'm overthinking this. Does this mean, it will only run one-time period, per day, per occurrence, etc?

when using the "start hvac" schedule, how long will this run for?

Danny,
when setting up schedules, can you explain what the "run once" box does? Maybe I'm overthinking this. Does this mean, it will only run one-time period, per day, per occurrence, etc?

when using the "start hvac" schedule, how long will this run for?

Perhaps you'll find this link to be helpful?
Scheduling - TeslaFi.com

HVAC well run for the normal period, which I believe is 15 min. Could be wrong on that as I generally set it for about 5 min before I leave (the Model 3's HVAC is very quick to alter the cabin temp).

I haven't tested it, but according to the link I posted above:
"The HVAC will continue to run until it is stopped or the battery level reaches 20%"

• Helpful
Reactions: Zaxxon
Perhaps you'll find this link to be helpful?
Scheduling - TeslaFi.com

I haven't tested it, but according to the link I posted above:
"The HVAC will continue to run until it is stopped or the battery level reaches 20%"
Thanks for the link, Danny. I could see where you might want to add a "stop hvac" schedule a short period after the "run hvac" schedule on work days in case you took a day off work, sick, holiday, etc. so you don't drain the hell out of the battery.

Thanks for the link, Danny. I could see where you might want to add a "stop hvac" schedule a short period after the "run hvac" schedule on work days in case you took a day off work, sick, holiday, etc. so you don't drain the hell out of the battery.

You might also choose to have TeslaFi notify you when it starts the HVAC. That's what I did.

Reactions: jombolo
This is kind of strange. says the car has been "preconditioning" for several hours, however interior temp is well above the 105 threshold. "Is autoconditioning on" column reads "false" for the full Idle segment.

2018-08-28 16_39_04-TeslaFi.png
2018-08-28 16_39_28-Idle Details.png

I believe that icon means that there was some preconditioning activity during that idle. It does not mean that the car was preconditioning for the whole idle period.
I would agree with that assumption, in fact, that is what I originally thought. Then i noticed the temp over 105, peaking at 120 interior temp, and "false" is always present for the auto-conditioning-on column, meaning it never kicked on for the entire idle period.

Auto Conditioning can refer to cabin overheat or scheduled or ad-hoc preconditioning via the app/TeslaFi. It can also indicate the car just sitting with the door open (and therefore the HVAC running). It can be confusing that way. But I just checked a bunch of my idles from the past few days, and I only get the preconditioning icon if I turned on preconditioning. Idles that include cabin overheat triggers do not display that icon (but they do show the Auto Conditioning field as True for a few minutes at a time). Have you verified that you have cabin overheat protection enabled and set to use AC in the car's settings?

Here's one from Sunday, parked at the ballpark in mid-90s heat with cabin overheat triggering (no preconditioning icon):
hvac2.JPG

hvac1.JPG

Here's one from home yesterday, with scheduled preconditioning triggered (preconditioning icon):
Hvac3-Precondiitioned.JPG

The way I look at it, I'm not paying the $50 for the data. The data is just a nice "free extra" that I gain with my subscription.

Personally, the thing that I use TeslaFi for the most, and the reason I'm willing to pay the $50 for it, is for the "scheduling" features. I have more than a dozen scheduled events and alerts right now, and a frequently add (and remove) events or alerts as I find a desire for them.

I also like that the "Live Controls" feature allows me set an exact percentage on the charge limit instead of using a slider that always seems to jump as I lift my finger. I wouldn't pay $50 per year ($4.17 per month) just for that, but like the data reporting, it does add a bit of value to what I'm already paying for.

You might also choose to have TeslaFi notify you when it starts the HVAC. That's what I did.
Here are the schedules I've setup so far. Instead of TeslaFi notifying me when HVAC starts (we are all inundated with reminders, texts, notifications, etc., i didn't want to add to the chaos), i have a second schedule to turn it off 15 minutes later - in case there is a deviation from the normal work schedule.
teslafischedules.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaxxon
I think there is too much variation due to other situational factors to be extrapolating any kind of degradation curve, if you only have a few thousand miles of travel. Many thousands will be needed to get useful data.

Fair, but many data points from many Model 3s should provide some useful insight. I've started a thread in the Battery forum for those wishing to participate. Looking into creating a spreadsheet as well.

BTW, my apologies for getting off track. Let's get back to TeslaFi vs TeslaSpy. Feel free to continue this discussion in the other thread.

TeslaFi - Battery Degradation Reports (upload your data)

It'll charge either way. TeslaFi's sleep modes don't actually do anything to your car other than leave it alone. Think of those settings as telling TeslaFi 'hands off' during that period.

Let me ask the opposite question: if I have TeslaFi set to let the car sleep overnight, but I have a charge timer set in the car to charge overnight, will TeslaFi ping the car enough to notice that it woke up and started charging and thus capture the charge stats?