Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

teslafi vs teslaspy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I view it kind of like the car itself. There's no way I'm 'recouping' $56k on a 3. But I sure like the 3. I use the app not because I expect it to change my behavior, but rather to get a detailed view into how I'm using my car, exactly what consumption to expect on certain routes, to see how temperature impacts range, etc. None of which I need. But if I view $50/year as a piece of the total cost of the car, the difference is peanuts and greatly improves my visibility into the car.

Tl;dr - I'm a nerd and I likes me some data.

Me too. It's just fun to look at and I love the Lifetime Map.

I've been using TeslaFi since T+3 days into my Model 3 ownership. I love data and I'm a bit pissed that I didn't discover it earlier and start logging from T+0!!!

I view it kind of like the car itself. There's no way I'm 'recouping' $56k on a 3. But I sure like the 3. I use the app not because I expect it to change my behavior, but rather to get a detailed view into how I'm using my car, exactly what consumption to expect on certain routes, to see how temperature impacts range, etc. None of which I need. But if I view $50/year as a piece of the total cost of the car, the difference is peanuts and greatly improves my visibility into the car.

Tl;dr - I'm a nerd and I likes me some data.
I can get behind that reasoning. I'm still on the fence...when my free trial runs out...we will see...

Do either one of these apps allow you to accurately record energy used in charging? I will be deducting actual expenses on this vehicle. With ICE I just add up my gas bills and multiply by business use percent.

With TeslaFi, it provides Energy Used (from wall), Energy Added (into battery), and Charge Efficiency (Added / Used). You can enter your $/kWh rate and it will calculate out the cost per session.

Additionally, you can put custom tags on each drive (i.e. business or personal) and run metrics on the data.

If you found this information useful, use my referral code why don't ya ;) Only semi-serious, but PM me if you want my code (or hint: it's my TMC username). I would get a free month ($5).

Reactions: Nocturnal
With that said, the energy (from wall) is an estimate. If you want actuals, you'd need to get that data from the source (eg your EVSE, like a JuiceBox Pro). With that said, I have a JuiceBox Pro, and the estimate of what's being used at the wall from TeslaFi is generally pretty close to what my JuiceBox reports. Not sure if 'generally pretty close' is good enough for your expense reports or not.

With that said, the energy (from wall) is an estimate. If you want actuals, you'd need to get that data from the source (eg your EVSE, like a JuiceBox Pro). With that said, I have a JuiceBox Pro, and the estimate of what's being used at the wall from TeslaFi is generally pretty close to what my JuiceBox reports. Not sure if 'generally pretty close' is good enough for your expense reports or not.

Well put. I have a JuiceBox Pro as well and I haven't done a comparison of the data yet. Will do that soon.

On a related note, do you tweak the "EVSE Efficiency" setting on the JuiceBox? I'm trying to get the JuiceBox range/SOC estimates synced up with the Tesla as it charges and currently have it at 89%. I've always found the "starting range / starting SOC" feature kind of weird. Sometimes, the JuiceBox will stop providing a charge because it thinks the car is full, when it fact it's 1-2% away from being done.

I did a small trip on Monday to Santa Barbara (200 miles round trip). In Santa Barbara, I charged at one of the City garages (ChargePoint at $0.20/kWh). The TeslaFi estimate for the charge was $0.03 off of what I was actually charged by ChargePoint. The cost for the return drive was based on my home rate, not the last charge rate (or a blended rate).

When charging at a free station, TeslaFi will show "charge savings" based on my home rate. I have not tried a Super Charger yet but assumes it would be the same as any paid charger (now that there is the option to mark as paying).

After using Teslafi and TeslaSpy for close to a week now, it is amazing how much data is available to me with these "apps". It's a novelty for sure. Though, from a practical day-to-day driving aspect, i cannot figure out, or justify in my mind, the need to pay $50/year for this information. The cost/benefit ratio of the information is a huge grey area. There is very little that I can actually do with the data (at least that I can tell). You might be able to make some very small changes to driving habits, etc. but I don't see myself being able to recoup the annual $50. Bring on the counter arguments! But be kind!

I don't get my M3 until Sept 13th, but came across this thread just doing research in anticipation...and man this is going to be worth every penny for me. I work in sales, and can expense mileage...which is tedious and requires you to either pay attention daily and record, or pull out google maps every month and retrace your trips...this thing looks like it's not only going to track for me, but give me an idea of the money i'm netting between "gas reimbursement" versus actual cost!

On a side though...i'm not sure how excited i am about giving them my tesla account and password ...isn't that kind of dangerous?

I don't get my M3 until Sept 13th, but came across this thread just doing research in anticipation...and man this is going to be worth every penny for me. I work in sales, and can expense mileage...which is tedious and requires you to either pay attention daily and record, or pull out google maps every month and retrace your trips...this thing looks like it's not only going to track for me, but give me an idea of the money i'm netting between "gas reimbursement" versus actual cost!

It's even better than that, as you can tag drives as biz or personal (and set location pairs to auto-tag).

On a side though...i'm not sure how excited i am about giving them my tesla account and password ...isn't that kind of dangerous?

You can either trust them to use the PW one time to generate an API token (and then not store the PW, as the token is used going forward), or you can generate a token yourself so you never have to share your Tesla account password. That process is a little techy, though.

To expand on the account security side, once TeslaFi or any other third-party app has a token, you can revoke them all at any point by changing your Tesla password. That will quickly cut off all third-party apps from your account.

According to both Teslafi and Teslaspy, they do not store your Tesla account information, only use it to get an access token to your vehicle...

Reactions: Gt1948
It's even better than that, as you can tag drives as biz or personal (and set location pairs to auto-tag).

wow that is awesome! Well worth the money!

As far as the key...i see what they say they do, but i've heard similar stories from banks and financial institutions who then get hacked and turns out that the data was still there...i may have to get geeky and try the second option just to sleep at night.

i cannot figure out, or justify in my mind, the need to pay $50/year for this information. The cost/benefit ratio of the information is a huge grey area. There is very little that I can actually do with the data

The way I look at it, I'm not paying the $50 for the data. The data is just a nice "free extra" that I gain with my subscription.

Personally, the thing that I use TeslaFi for the most, and the reason I'm willing to pay the $50 for it, is for the "scheduling" features. I have more than a dozen scheduled events and alerts right now, and a frequently add (and remove) events or alerts as I find a desire for them.

I also like that the "Live Controls" feature allows me set an exact percentage on the charge limit instead of using a slider that always seems to jump as I lift my finger. I wouldn't pay $50 per year ($4.17 per month) just for that, but like the data reporting, it does add a bit of value to what I'm already paying for.

The way I look at it, I'm not paying the $50 for the data. The data is just a nice "free extra" that I gain with my subscription.

Personally, the thing that I use TeslaFi for the most, and the reason I'm willing to pay the $50 for it, is for the "scheduling" features. I have more than a dozen scheduled events and alerts right now, and a frequently add (and remove) events or alerts as I find a desire for them.

I also like that the "Live Controls" feature allows me set an exact percentage on the charge limit instead of using a slider that always seems to jump as I lift my finger. I wouldn't pay $50 per year ($4.17 per month) just for that, but like the data reporting, it does add a bit of value to what I'm already paying for.
Interesting! I assume you have Teslafi? Can you provide examples of what type of features/events you schedule? I’d like to understand the usefulness of these

wow that is awesome! Well worth the money!

As far as the key...i see what they say they do, but i've heard similar stories from banks and financial institutions who then get hacked and turns out that the data was still there...i may have to get geeky and try the second option just to sleep at night.

Yes, it's definitely a personal decision to decide how much you trust them. Same for deciding whether to enable live controls.

Interesting! I assume you have Teslafi? Can you provide examples of what type of features/events you schedule? I’d like to understand the usefulness of these

Here are some of my "standard" settings. I have others that come and go, but I find these to be most useful and valuable. Even if these were the ONLY settings I had, it would be worth $4.17 per month to me:

I leave home for work at 7:15am every weekday, so...
I have an event scheduled for 7:00am every weekday to "Set HVAC temperature" to 74 degrees Fahrenheit (in case I happen to have changed it at all the previous day)
I have another event scheduled for 7:05am every weekday to "Start HVAC" to precondition the car for me, but only if the car is at home and plugged in. That way (assuming I'm at home and remembered to plug the car in), regardless of the temperature outside, the vehicle interior (and battery) are all set for a comfortable and efficient drive.

I leave work for home at 4:00pm every weekday, so...
I have an event scheduled for 3:45pm every weekday to "Set HVAC temperature" to 74 degrees Fahrenheit (in case I happen to have changed it at all earlier in the day)
I have another event scheduled for 3:50pm every weekday to "Start HVAC" to precondition the car for me, but only if the car is at work and plugged in. That way (assuming I'm at work and remembered to plug the car in), regardless of the temperature outside, the vehicle interior (and battery) are all set for a comfortable and efficient drive.

I'm generally done driving and running errands for the day on weekdays by 10pm, so...
I have an SMS text alert set to remind me to plug my car in at 10pm on weekdays, but only if the car is at home, and it is not plugged in, AND only if the amount of charge of that battery at that time is less than 66%.
I have the same alert set to remind me to plug my car in at 12am on weekends, but only if the car is at home, and it is not plugged in, AND only if the amount of charge of that battery at that time is less than 66%.

I've gotten used to the vehicle auto-locking as I walk away. Unfortunately the phone-key isn't perfect. I've had a couple instances where the vehicle didn't lock, and I didn't know it. I park in a locked attached garage at home, but at work the vehicle would be accessible to pedestrians while unmonitored. So...
I set up an SMS text alert to remind me to lock the doors at 8:30am if the car is at work, and it is not locked.
I might be stuck in meetings or otherwise unable to get out to the car, so I have an event set up to lock the doors automatically at 9:00am if the vehicle is at work and the doors are still unlocked.

I've had a few instances where I've either forgotten to plug in (or someone has removed the plug from my vehicle) while at work, so...
I also have an SMS text alert to remind me to plug in my car every hour from 9:00am to 3:00pm on weekdays, but only if the car is at work, and it is not plugged in, AND only if the amount of charge of that battery at that time is less than 66%.

Frequently, when I need to park directly in the sun on a summer day, and I know what time I'm likely to return to the car, I log into the website from my phone and set up an event to "Start HVAC" 10 minutes or so before I expect to be back to the car, but only on that day of the week, and geofenced to that location if I have already tagged the location in the past. Then I remove the event the next time I happen to log into the website.

Quick question:

I don't use either of these tools or any other 3rd party tool but am curious: I would really like to know what the internal computer in the car has to say about the number of Supercharger "cycles" I have done since taking delivery of the car 5 years ago. Is that piece of data accessible using one or both of these tools, or via any other method?

Quick question:

I don't use either of these tools or any other 3rd party tool but am curious: I would really like to know what the internal computer in the car has to say about the number of Supercharger "cycles" I have done since taking delivery of the car 5 years ago. Is that piece of data accessible using one or both of these tools, or via any other method?

AFAIK, TeslaFi can only show you the total cycles logged since you started using their app.

• Informative
Reactions: tinm
Quick question:

I'm not aware of TeslaFi being able to pull any historical data from the vehicle at all. The service will store the current data as it's received, so that it can show it to you later, but if the service isn't running at the time of an event, I believe information about that event is permanently unavailable.

Note that this is also true if you are subscribed to the service, but the service is down or otherwise unable to communicate with the vehicle during the event. So, if the service can't communicate with the vehicle, and you plug into a supercharger, and then AFTER you disconnect from the supercharger the service regains communications with the vehicle, then I think the service will NOT report that the supercharger event ever occurred.

• Informative
Reactions: tinm