Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

teslafi vs teslaspy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried to do some more testing to lock down why my car sometimes sleeps perfectly per TeslaFi settings and other times does not. It seems to be pretty convincingly tied to my phone being 'too close' to the car and keeping the car awake. Anytime the car is out of Bluetooth range (and it's not hot enough to keep cabin overheat protection active), it sleeps right on schedule.

This isn't really news, as I was 'sure' this was the case months ago, but I've recently paid closer attention to the behavior when I'm nearby vs when I'm not. I'm now fully convinced that any prolonged idle periods, for my vehicle, are not related to TeslaFi.

[Edit - would be nice for Tesla to implement some kind of seemingly obvious sanity check on this. If <car's at home> and <doors are all closed> and <phone has been connected 15+ min> then <go to sleep>]

I've tried to do some more testing to lock down why my car sometimes sleeps perfectly per TeslaFi settings and other times does not. It seems to be pretty convincingly tied to my phone being 'too close' to the car and keeping the car awake. Anytime the car is out of Bluetooth range (and it's not hot enough to keep cabin overheat protection active), it sleeps right on schedule.

This isn't really news, as I was 'sure' this was the case months ago, but I've recently paid closer attention to the behavior when I'm nearby vs when I'm not. I'm now fully convinced that any prolonged idle periods, for my vehicle, are not related to TeslaFi.

[Edit - would be nice for Tesla to implement some kind of seemingly obvious sanity check on this. If <car's at home> and <doors are all closed> and <phone has been connected 15+ min> then <go to sleep>]
Zaxxon, what kind of phone are you using and "how far" do you need to be away from the car?

Not sure if this was already asked...

I was looking at Teslafi but decided not to use it because it looks like you have to provide your Tesla account information with the password.

Maybe I'm wrong.. am I?

If you do not want to provide your Tesla account info, you can just provide TeslaFi with an API Token.

There are other threads on how to get a token (but I think at some point you will need to provide your account info to get the token).

I’m losing almost 1mile/hr with TeslaFi and the stats app. I’ve changed my password and now I’m only using TeslaFi with sleep enabled. Will it automatically log trips and charges when they begin if it’s asleep? How do I make sure I don’t miss a trip or charge?

I’m losing almost 1mile/hr with TeslaFi and the stats app. I’ve changed my password and now I’m only using TeslaFi with sleep enabled to try to mitigate the loss. Will it automatically log trips and charges when they begin if it’s asleep? How do I make sure I don’t miss a trip or charge?

Why the difference on Tesla Fi versus the Tesla on KW/MI for a drive?

My numbers never match up is Tesla Fi more accurate on what a trip is really costing me ?

Electricity costs ... my monthly bill spike was pretty high.... the amounts shown on Tesla Fi seem smaller in comparison .... is it accurate ? (Yes I’ve inserted my utility costs)

Tried it, 3 went to sleep today and was losing about 0.75 miles/hour during the sleep! I lost a total of 18.9 miles today and I have no idea why!
Look back at post #8 for sleep settings if you haven't already. As @BioSehnsucht mentioned, if your car is outdoors while you are tracking this loss and have low temps, this seems to be a root cause (the drain is noticeably worse at temps below 50 during the day, than say at 60 from my experience)

Why the difference on Tesla Fi versus the Tesla on KW/MI for a drive?

My numbers never match up is Tesla Fi more accurate on what a trip is really costing me ?

Electricity costs ... my monthly bill spike was pretty high.... the amounts shown on Tesla Fi seem smaller in comparison .... is it accurate ? (Yes I’ve inserted my utility costs)
I would not suggest using the cost per drive metric to evaluate true electricity costs, this is mainly due to the fact that you will have vamp drain throughout a 24 hour period. I use the cost to charge data teslafi reports for a more "true cost" you can see total charges and the total cost for all charges. In the end this is what you are paying for, to charge the car...not individual drives. Whatever you do, don't get @AlanSubie4Life started on vamp drain :) However, if you care to go down a serious rabbit hole and want to learn more about vamp drain, here's link to a rather in depth conversation on it. Vampire Drain/Loss Tracking

Last edited:
Reactions: LyftupX
I have supercharged twice and both times in TeslaFi the kWh used is different than what Tesla shows in my account and the cost is therefore off too. Anyone experience this? Makes me feel like all the data may be inaccurate. Also what causes the “data accuracy” of a drive to be less than 100%? I can’t seem to find the answer on TeslaFi.

Last edited:
I have supercharged twice and both times in TeslaFi the kWh used is different than what Tesla shows in my account and the cost is therefore off too. Anyone experience this? Makes me feel like all the data may be inaccurate. Also what causes the “data accuracy” of a drive to be less than 100%? I can’t seem to find the answer on TeslaFi.
In TeslaFI, have you gone into "account" and down a bit is "Supercharging". Have you adjusted the charging cost there? i had to play with tier costs a little.

I checked my last 2 supercharges from Nov (it was free, i dont supercharge often) and it reports very close. i cannot see the exact numbers because there is no receipt for a free charge. Teslafi reports 28k.08kwh, Tesla rerports 28khw. and on another TesaFi 11.8kwh, Tesla 12kwh. I'm pretty satisfied with that. I'm sure with a receipt from Tesla, would be more exact.

Last edited: