TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vampire Drain/Loss Tracking

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by HopeToGolf, Aug 15, 2018.

1. HopeToGolf

HopeToGolf Member

For those who are interested and need to track vampire drain I thought I would start a thread.

I am away traveling and wanted to know how much loss I may have if the car is sitting an an airport. While the vehicle is at home in garaged conditions, I figure I can use my experience to give me a ballpark idea of how much range I may lose.

I’m on 2018.26.3 and so far I’ve lost 3 miles per day. The car started off at 160 miles 5 days ago and sits at 145 today.

I will speak to the service center to find out if this is “normal.” Regardless, it is what it is and for all but the longest trips, parked in the worst conditions, with the lowest SOC, I should be relatively safe. For long trips, Lyft is cheaper than long term parking anyway.

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

Version 9 release 40.1

I see a 2% loss overnight.

This is a LR Dual.

3. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

I generally see the same on my LR RWD.

I think this is mostly the batteries “settling” more than it is vampire loss. Like the cell voltages drop a bit after the charge cycle completes which results in a lower reported SOC even though very little power was used overnight.

I left mine plugged in while on a business trip for four days and it was 3% down when I got back and had not charged at all from what I could tell.

My anecdotal experience is that firmware updates since I got the car have improved the vampire draw situation.

• Like x 1
  4. BestHand

BestHand Member

It was my concern (vampire drain) as I barely drive the car, do not use it for my everyday commute, so I thought it will then a big impact for my energy bill. I found out that my car also has a drain about 3 miles per day(24 hours). Measuring overnight will not bring right numbers and I think will show a bigger drain, as drain is bigger in a first hours after parking. If you park your car in garage you heard that whirring noise (I think it is some pump) which sometime takes long time after stop. I even created trend wondering about that sound, but it died (nobody posted any explanations). In a manual it said that drain takes about 1% of the battery capacity, which is 3 miles. I try not to wake up the car checking mileage remotely, as every time car is awake it will start that quiet pumping. Drain energy consumption is about 30w, which is not that big if we look at it, and even with no power consumption cells are losing some energy, but it is much less than 1%. I have some Li-ion notebook cells laying around and I noticed they almost do not lose energy for long time.

5. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

Ive recently had my car in the shop and this week it’s getting PPF. I’m averaging .88 miles per hour when unplugged and garaged and losing about 21 miles per each 24 hour period. Is this normal? Just seems too excessive to me. Btw, I have Stats app and T4U for iOS associated with my Tesla account. Is it possible these apps are polling the vehicle too frequently?