Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's 2020 Supercharger expansion ignores Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I've posted before, Australia has the same number of cars and the same number of Superchargers as Dade County (basically part of Miami Florida).
Simply speaking we are very small fish and if it hadn't been for Mr Hackett, we wouldn't have any (see South Africa).

So - get out there and buy...

Reactions: ARMARM
So, "F*** you Jack, I'm alright"? Hope you get transferred to Perth with your job and have to bring your Tesla too.
Hmmm, not sure how you got that impression. What i’m trying to say is I think we just have to be respectful of the dilemma of limited resources faced by any company trying to do something as unprecedented as the Tesla mission.
If I were young and single I would jump at the chance of a job in Perth, I would simply buy a CHAdeMO adapter before I left.
As I said earlier, I think the lack of service centres is the biggest mistake in the roll out in Australia as more service centres would help drive sales, particularly in Adelaide and Perth.
I ordered my Tesla in 2012 when there was no guarantee that any Superchargers would be installed in Australia at all, and I continue to be impressed by what they have accomplished with only a few thousand sales.
The contrast to every other manufacturer of EVs is stark.

Reactions: raynewman
@Jays200 You seem to be perpetually dissatisfied with the services available in WA, and personally affronted by the advantages enjoyed by the more populous east.
You should realise that we are all on a sliding scale of remoteness. Where you live is more remote than where I live. But where I live (Sydney) is more remote than where my brother lives (London), or my cousin (New York).
There’s no point me being jealous of the dozen superchargers in London, or being annoyed that I can’t see a West-end show in Sydney. I’ve chosen my preferred place to live for the many factors we all do, as I’m sure you have too.
And if life in WA really is that intolerable, you are welcome to re-locate. But if you are happier in WA then please try to look happy.

While I see people lamenting lack of attention from Tesla with respect to cars, it seems Australia got preferential treatment when it came to Powerwalls. Musk even stated that there was a better financial case for them in Australia (high utility rates) and so shipments were focused there.

I understand the need for a service center in Perth. At least Australia doesn't work against Tesla. In the US there are no service centers in New Mexico, or Alabama, or Michigan or ... Well, I think you get the idea.

The population of northern Montana is very small. Tesla still lacks a Supercharger route through there. Eastern and western Canada aren't connected although there is FINALLY a start to getting that fixed. What is the population density like between Perth and Brisbane or Perth and Adelaide?

I'm not trying to be negative. I want to see a Supercharger route all the way around Australia. I'm just asking myself what Tesla sees and what decision I would make in their position. Personally, I would put a service center in Perth but I'm not so sure about speeding up Supercharger build out. I think there are more important locations i.e. eliminating the lines at stations in California.

@ShockOnT Settle down cowboy. Way too broad a brush stroke there. I lived in the remote NW of WA for over a decade in my former life as a surveyor so have a pretty good grasp on "remoteness". Similarly, having driven up and over this wide brown land in a Tesla, I'm also acutely aware of what is needed where in regards to EV (Tesla) infrastructure. Traveled the world too and that is what convinced us, over 2 years ago, to support Tesla in purchasing the vehicle and stock.

WA is the classic "chicken-or-egg" scenario re EVs but the egg is charging and service and the chicken is the cars. We need proper service and presence from Tesla, at a very modest investment, to get the punters in.

My ongoing gripe is with Tesla Australia's lack of support for WA. 2 years in to our Tesla journey we have 1 ill planned Supercharger 160kms away and 1 service tech (who is awesome btw). The SuC is ill planned because it is a 6 stall and should have been split in to 3 pairs better located to suit. Our SvC is a shed in a back street next to a cemetery that Tesla doesn't want to put it's name to. The recent "smoke and mirrors" for the red pin drop on the Tesla rollout map attests to that.

This is the indicated address
Google Maps

This is the actual address where we drop our cars off
Google Maps

BTW, Nedlands is like Toorak Road in Melbourne, with a similar "cranial sphincter inversion factor" and they don't wanna be droppin' off their ride to no stinkin' laneway, rollerdoor, no name, "service centre".

As I've mentioned to my eastern states brothers and sisters more than once, jump in your Tesla, spend a couple of weeks of your precious time, miss out on the snow for one season, drive west across this massive continent and then pass judgement. Heck, fly over and I'll even show you around.

Reactions: ICUDoc
I'm not trying to be negative. I want to see a Supercharger route all the way around Australia. I'm just asking myself what Tesla sees and what decision I would make in their position. Personally, I would put a service center in Perth but I'm not so sure about speeding up Supercharger build out. I think there are more important locations i.e. eliminating the lines at stations in California.

I appreciate your perspective, however, Perth is a city of over 2 million people. I'm not advocating an around Australia Supercharger network nor a trans Australia route. I'm not even advocating 6 or 12 stall superchargers. Perth needs an official Tesla presence with just a rented retail storefront with cars for people to sit in, like Chadstone in Melbourne or St. Martins Place in Sydney. 2 stall Supercharger skids like those in Horsham or Bathurst just need dropping off and wiring up. Both cost little but represent so much.

And, Elon said, "OK" Jays on Twitter and nothing so far.

Reactions: Murbs
I appreciate your perspective, however, Perth is a city of over 2 million people. I'm not advocating an around Australia Supercharger network nor a trans Australia route. I'm not even advocating 6 or 12 stall superchargers. Perth needs an official Tesla presence with just a rented retail storefront with cars for people to sit in, like Chadstone in Melbourne or St. Martins Place in Sydney. 2 stall Supercharger skids like those in Horsham or Bathurst just need dropping off and wiring up. Both cost little but represent so much.

And, Elon said, "OK" Jays on Twitter and nothing so far.
Read what I wrote. I am in agreement about the service center. The retail presence can be done from there.

I was at a dinner with 20 colleagues last night. Told people M3 is available for order, delivery in August.
No one interested. Would rather have an Audi A4.

What is wrong with people?
Maybe they are worried about their reputation, or maybe about resale values? Tesla is still a new brand.
Me? If you gave me an A4 I'd sell it and give the bucks to charity. NO Audi would tempt me. NO VAG group car would tempt me- they have acted like scoundrels (Except the Porsche boss who praised Musk's EV drive a few years ago and started the Mission E program).
"Audi drivers" is a phrase I use for certain types of people!!

Find a different audience, SonT. I'd expect your colleagues could afford a Model 3, and it looks like they just don't get it.
Cranial-sphincter inversion syndrome?
(I have typed this slowly- tied both hands behind my back to stop myself ordering a Raven P100DL. Have you seen the reviews?!)

While I see people lamenting lack of attention from Tesla with respect to cars, it seems Australia got preferential treatment when it came to Powerwalls. Musk even stated that there was a better financial case for them in Australia (high utility rates) and so shipments were focused there.

I understand the need for a service center in Perth. At least Australia doesn't work against Tesla. In the US there are no service centers in New Mexico, or Alabama, or Michigan or ... Well, I think you get the idea.

The population of northern Montana is very small. Tesla still lacks a Supercharger route through there. Eastern and western Canada aren't connected although there is FINALLY a start to getting that fixed. What is the population density like between Perth and Brisbane or Perth and Adelaide?

What's the population between Perth and Adelaide? Cocklebiddy Roadhouse sums it up! But in all seriousness, 580km east of Perth is the gold mining town of Kalgoorlie, very important to WA's economy, it also mines lithium, Nickle and many other very useful resources. At the very least Tesla could drop in two temporary supercharging sleds on the way east.
PICT0194.JPG

What's the population between Perth and Adelaide? Cocklebiddy Roadhouse sums it up! But in all seriousness, 580km east of Perth is the gold mining town of Kalgoorlie, very important to WA's economy, it also mines lithium, Nickle and many other very useful resources. At the very least Tesla could drop in two temporary supercharging sleds on the way east.View attachment 419735

Love the picture. I see the problem now and the potential solution. Tesla just needs to be convinced that kangaroos are a large untapped customer base.

Getting serious, a friend in Sydney and I have, for years, had an ongoing argument as to which country has more idiotic politicians. Australia was in the lead but our election of Trump has been a masterful move and he admits the US now leads in idiocy. However, Australia is still trying with its coal enamored politicians. Based on what KarenRei wrote, it seems Australia has a lot of potential to do well embracing the future instead of the past (coal).

@ShockOnT Settle down cowboy. Way too broad a brush stroke there. I lived in the remote NW of WA for over a decade in my former life as a surveyor so have a pretty good grasp on "remoteness". Similarly, having driven up and over this wide brown land in a Tesla, I'm also acutely aware of what is needed where in regards to EV (Tesla) infrastructure. Traveled the world too and that is what convinced us, over 2 years ago, to support Tesla in purchasing the vehicle and stock.

WA is the classic "chicken-or-egg" scenario re EVs but the egg is charging and service and the chicken is the cars. We need proper service and presence from Tesla, at a very modest investment, to get the punters in.

My ongoing gripe is with Tesla Australia's lack of support for WA. 2 years in to our Tesla journey we have 1 ill planned Supercharger 160kms away and 1 service tech (who is awesome btw). The SuC is ill planned because it is a 6 stall and should have been split in to 3 pairs better located to suit. Our SvC is a shed in a back street next to a cemetery that Tesla doesn't want to put it's name to. The recent "smoke and mirrors" for the red pin drop on the Tesla rollout map attests to that.

This is the indicated address
Google Maps

This is the actual address where we drop our cars off
Google Maps

BTW, Nedlands is like Toorak Road in Melbourne, with a similar "cranial sphincter inversion factor" and they don't wanna be droppin' off their ride to no stinkin' laneway, rollerdoor, no name, "service centre".

As I've mentioned to my eastern states brothers and sisters more than once, jump in your Tesla, spend a couple of weeks of your precious time, miss out on the snow for one season, drive west across this massive continent and then pass judgement. Heck, fly over and I'll even show you around.
How did you find out I’m secretly a cowboy?! I thought I paid that horse off? Bloody thing must have hired Avenatti :)

I’d love to drive across if I had time, I just don’t think there will be superchargers anytime soon. I agree Perth should have a service centre/retail presence with a supercharger station, if for no other reason than it would pay for itself in sales, especially with the M3 coming.

Do the good people of Perth do much long distance driving or do they tend to do more day trips to nearby towns?

Maybe they are worried about their reputation, or maybe about resale values? Tesla is still a new brand.
Me? If you gave me an A4 I'd sell it and give the bucks to charity. NO Audi would tempt me. NO VAG group car would tempt me- they have acted like scoundrels (Except the Porsche boss who praised Musk's EV drive a few years ago and started the Mission E program).
"Audi drivers" is a phrase I use for certain types of people!!

Find a different audience, SonT. I'd expect your colleagues could afford a Model 3, and it looks like they just don't get it.
Cranial-sphincter inversion syndrome?
(I have typed this slowly- tied both hands behind my back to stop myself ordering a Raven P100DL. Have you seen the reviews?!)
Yes just off the top of my head they drive Audi Q7, Audi S5, Landrover Discovery and Evoque, Volvo XC90 etc. I especially don’t understand the Audi S5 guy. Similar price and shape, worse performance, no AP, boring tech, expensive fuel and servicing. I guess he just wants the brand.

How did you find out I’m secretly a cowboy?! I thought I paid that horse off? Bloody thing must have hired Avenatti :)

I’d love to drive across if I had time, I just don’t think there will be superchargers anytime soon. I agree Perth should have a service centre/retail presence with a supercharger station, if for no other reason than it would pay for itself in sales, especially with the M3 coming.

Do the good people of Perth do much long distance driving or do they tend to do more day trips to nearby towns?

I'll get off my horse too, 'till the vin rouge gets me back on the old girl ;)

The point is to do the trip before there are any DC chargers. Fours days from Clare to Perth will definitely change any east coasters views on all things Tesla and AC charging.

As @Blue heaven alluded to, most journeys are between regional centres like Geraldton, Kalgoorlie, Albany, the broader south west (Margaret River, Bunbury, Busselton etc) and Perth, which covers some 90% of the states population. Perth is really the hub (with regional towns/cities 4-5hrs away) and therefore it makes even more sense to have a proper Tesla presence in the capital. WA doesn't have the "through journey" model like the eastern states. More like a medieval radial city lay out.

Did you look at the location pics of our current "Tesla" facilities? Choice hey!

Reactions: Shock-On-T