Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's 2020 Supercharger expansion ignores Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the picture. I see the problem now and the potential solution. Tesla just needs to be convinced that kangaroos are a large untapped customer base.

Getting serious, a friend in Sydney and I have, for years, had an ongoing argument as to which country has more idiotic politicians. Australia was in the lead but our election of Trump has been a masterful move and he admits the US now leads in idiocy. However, Australia is still trying with its coal enamored politicians. Based on what KarenRei wrote, it seems Australia has a lot of potential to do well embracing the future instead of the past (coal).

Given how low Australia's rate of EV purchases is, the rate of EV purchases by kangaroos isn't all that much lower ;)

As for the people who said they would rather have an Audi A4... we all know that the only solution to that problem is to get them to ride in or drive a Tesla. ;)

Reactions: adee and GSP
So, we finally got our 2020 map update... however it appears to be very half-arsed. Not because the updates are minimal but because locations that are known to be in progress are not on there - so it's like Tesla has only half updated the map, and it's not reflective of their coverage intentions.

These are the changes I've noticed:

Frankston Vic supercharger - added for 2020
Brisbane supercharger (presumably 2nd one) - added for 2020
Sydney supercharger (3rd one, although will be a replacement for St Leonards) - added for 2020
Gold Coast service centre added as coming for 2020.
Toowoomba supercharger - the only site known to be under construction - changed to "coming 2020"
Perth, Lakes Entrance and Gympie have been updated to 2020
All other "coming soon" sites (Great Ocean Road, Traralgon, Mansfield) still say 2019.

Find Us | Tesla

upload_2020-1-1_9-2-53.png

Frankston huh? Makes sense given how many Teslas I see around here but will probably sound a bit strange to people who only think of "Frankganistan" ;)

I'd say the Frankston Power Centre shops would be the most likely place. Being right on the corner of two major roads it's perfect for people passing through to to further down the peninsula.
Bayside Shopping Centre would be the other, but its a lot more crowded to get in and out of and has paid parking..

Frankston huh? Makes sense given how many Teslas I see around here but will probably sound a bit strange to people who only think of "Frankganistan" ;)

I'd say the Frankston Power Centre shops would be the most likely place. Being right on the corner of two major roads it's perfect for people passing through to to further down the peninsula.
Bayside Shopping Centre would be the other, but its a lot more crowded to get in and out of and has paid parking..

I was a bit surprised, I would have thought somewhere like Dandenong where it provides access to the Gippsland area as well and the peninsula.

I guess the Power Centre would have plenty of power :p

I was a bit surprised, I would have thought somewhere like Dandenong where it provides access to the Gippsland area as well and the peninsula.

I guess the Power Centre would have plenty of power :p

Frankston South / Mt Eliza areas are actually quite well off (dead opposite of the northern side ;) )
I've seen more Model S and X around here than I ever expected to.

Dandenong probably not a great area for a supercharger. If Gippsland was the focus they'd probably put them in at Westfield Fountain Gate. Then you could take the road from Pakenham to Koo Wee Rup and beyond.

So, "F*** you Jack, I'm alright"? Hope you get transferred to Perth with your job and have to bring your Tesla too.

this made me laugh so hard.

As I've posted before, Australia has the same number of cars and the same number of Superchargers as Dade County (basically part of Miami Florida).
Simply speaking we are very small fish and if it hadn't been for Mr Hackett, we wouldn't have any (see South Africa).

So - get out there and buy...

Who's Mr Hackett?

DING DING! A lot of the luxury buyers in Australia are very much about the brand. We have a unique population where there are a LOT of cashed up blue collar workers (and bogans) something that doesn't really exist in most other countries where those affording these kind of cars tend to be higher educated white collar workers. They want to stand out so they love flashy German cars. Have a look at these stats:

Australians are buying more of Mercedes' new AMG sports cars per capita than anyone else

Mercedes-Benz Australia sold over 4000 of their performance AMG models in 2015, the highest per capita sales rate of any country in the world. It’s also around 13% of their 31,700 cars sold in Australia throughout the year.

The raw figures also put Australia in the top five for AMGs sold in the world.

That's right. Highest per capita AMG sales in the world and in the top five selling in numbers in the world....that's INSANE! It's the equivalent of Norway's EV domination...shows you what a bunch of car brand wh*res Australians have become.

I reckon this is because Australia has like double the gross income of european countries and less taxation and insurance costs which makes certain things (housing, cars) much more affordable.

-----------------------

anyway, I'm just glad that at least on the entire east coast third party DC medium speed chargers are popping up which at least allows us some decent travel speed. And they are all free currently too.

Who's Mr Hackett?
Simon Hackett was the founder, owner and CEO of Internode. He sold his business to TPG more recently.
Before that he bought a LHD Roadster and entered it in the Global Green Challenge in 2009 and set a record for the longest distance driven by an EV at the time. The publicity was a great help at a time when Tesla was relatively unknown.
He was also featured in one of Tesla’s Owner Videos and received the first Model S on Dec 9 2014.

Simon Hackett was the founder, owner and CEO of Internode. He sold his business to TPG more recently.
Before that he bought a LHD Roadster and entered it in the Global Green Challenge in 2009 and set a record for the longest distance driven by an EV at the time. The publicity was a great help at a time when Tesla was relatively unknown.
He was also featured in one of Tesla’s Owner Videos and received the first Model S on Dec 9 2014.

How is able to register it in Australia (does not look like Northern Territory plate) and also not display the front plate? The rear plate looks like a QLD custom plate.

How is able to register it in Australia (does not look like Northern Territory plate) and also not display the front plate? The rear plate looks like a QLD custom plate.
That was the point. He was never able to get it registered and was only able to drive it in the competition and other limited events. I understand he sent it back to the USA and someone looks after it for him.

That was the point. He was never able to get it registered and was only able to drive it in the competition and other limited events. I understand he sent it back to the USA and someone looks after it for him.

If he's that rich that he can afford to keep the car in the USA he could just buy/rent a cheap flat in the NT and just register it there though? Surely he knew that given that he just drove down from Darwin? They have no limitations on LHD/RHD.

If he's that rich that he can afford to keep the car in the USA he could just buy/rent a cheap flat in the NT and just register it there though? Surely he knew that given that he just drove down from Darwin? They have no limitations on LHD/RHD.

I believe he has his Roadster and a LHD Model S which he keeps in California; a Model X (maybe another Tesla such as an S or 3 as well) at his home in Adelaide, and an SA-registered Model S at his home in Sheffield (Tasmania) - the Sheffield location also has a private airstrip and he flies himself between Adelaide and Sheffield :)

You can see more here:
Simon Hackett (@simonhackett) | Twitter
Simon Hackett (@bat_flattery) • Instagram photos and videos
Simon Hackett

Edit: seems he also has an interest in a vineyard in California: Brecon Estate Award Winning Boutique Winery Paso Robles - Brecon Estate

Mods, this is getting a bit off-topic, may be an ideal to split the last few posts off into a Simon Hackett thread! [Edit: Or merge into this one which it seems I started 4.5 years ago - Simon Hackett selling his first Roadster ]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: baillies