Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's "Model X Update" Email on June 16, 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As soon as I saw the 'Princess Tesla', I resigned myself to seeing that in future posts. I can live with it. It could have been worse. In fact, as a fellow forum member here can attest (where's Stevezzz?), I've had vendors walk into engineering areas and refer to me as 'princess'. And yes, my fellow engineers called me that for months after. :)

I'm over here (waves). We're traveling; my daughter's getting married on Friday. As a side note, our rental Hyundai Genesis is pretty nice, as ICE cars go, but it's no Model S.

The rest of you have missed out on one of life's more entertaining spectacles: watching a conference room full of men underestimate Bonnie. It's even more gratifying in living color and quadrophonic sound than it is here on TMC. :biggrin:

I thought it must have been, but then I saw it arrived in both Norway and China yesterday. Perhaps translation services are slowing it down?

Everyone knows that bits slow down when they're going through the ocean. C'mon, Princess, get with it. :)

(Okay, okay, had to take my shot. I have a nickname, too, it's just built into my username - "flash" refers to both my enjoyment of photography and also the result of driving a formerly-4-inch electrical panel screw through a misplaced 500 kcmil conductor once... once.)

Okay I am for safety before style. You guys choose what is important to you, I don't regret posting a question asking for opinions on a roll over scenario. Bonnie you are very good at manufacturing cubic meters of yada yada, are you on here to hear yourself talk. How long does it take for you to realize a car on it's roof is a safety issue? How long does it take for you to realize that a minivan with a one side door is a fifty-fifty chance of door side down. And that those are usually bottom end vehicles, I believe Tesla wants to be better than that. You already apologized once, and you don't need to prove to me how little you know about safety, mechanics, or engineering, but by all means keep on talking. Have you guys ever been on the highway near Chicago in a blizzard, experienced massive multi car pileups, everything ends up on it's roof. Bonnie if you are Princess Tesla then you should have all the rollover reports to actually make an intelligent comment?

Other companies have figured out how to get around this problem. I can't see why Tesla would do anything less than the current industry standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9me2BKB5GE

1:15 to 1:32 is the relevant section. The entire door is detached in the event of a rollover via explosive bolts after the car comes to a rest. I believe this innovation comes from the aviation industry.

ps - You're way outta line with the personal attacks.

Wow. You really are on this point. If you are so sure Tesla is ignoring this issue, then contact them. Posting about it endlessly on an independent forum is just noise. Insulting me is amusing. "Princess Tesla"? I did get under your skin. Not sure why you're so hot and bothered about this. I am all about safety. That's why I'm trying to figure out why you're so focused on this one issue, to the exclusion of everything else.

Could it be that you just don't like the falcon wing doors and you're using safety as an excuse?

This is a safety concern I raised as the I believe the second question I ever asked on this site. Bonnie had no opinion she could only blabber like a weak clueless internet newb who only drives from lawn bowling two blocks to the library. who also happens to be a moderator. I appreciate the responses by those who understand my safety question. She Assumes again, I am not opposed to Falcon doors, I wouldn't like to be in an accident and have to break my way out as opposed to opening a door. Or as a paramedic trying to get someone out I prefer not have to break a window out and crawl through it and extricated somebody through it with a broken neck. I have extricated several patients from crashes with confirmed fractured c-spines who are walking quite fine today, good access is the key. I believe tesla has not fully thought through these doors as with the roof racks, and I chose to state this here. This is a little off the cuff 5 cent psyche assessment for someone special named Bonnie: obsessed with becoming an auctioneer, OCD TM, VERBAL D, online AOB, differential diagnosis: Dit Z, Humor nil, hydrocephalic.

That's an interesting question. Explosive bolts that fire a few seconds after impact? I'm kidding... Sort of.

That's actually precisely how the Mercedes SLS works.

VIDEO: Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG crash-test video shows off exploding door hinges - Autoblog

Well--not a timer that blows the bolts directly, but a timer that energizes the bolts after a certain amount of time upside down. Then pulling the handle blows the bolts and releases the doors.

And before anyone gets too tense, pyrotechnics are used in a variety of safety systems, including seatbelt pretensioners.

Conventional doors jam all the time in accidents. This car has five doors, two of which are quite conventional, so there are plenty of ways to access occupants in an accident. I am sure Tesla is doing everything they can to ensure the car is safe - in fact they have gone above and beyond for the Model S, and I fully expect the same for Model X.

Also for the record Bonnie is one of the most respected members of this forum, and your bizarre attacks on her are entirely unwarranted.

Uuuuugh this is going to be a long 3-4 months to wait to see the prototypes :(

Even with the Model S I did not feel this level of anticipation, probably because I didn't follow Tesla closely until the start of 2012. This is going to be crazier than the launch of the new iPhone.

After last night's romp thru the forum I should change my user name to "off topic" (is it already taken ?) anyway, see if this is better:
i definitely consider the third row seat optional to be a "downgrade". One that I will probably take and put the $ elsewhere in the order. I see it that way based on nothing more than my expectation, which is based on what I've seen in the 2 Alpha prototypes. Tesla has clearly stated the obvious which is that they might change some stuff :smile: . OTOH, as I've said before, I'd like to have that big, flat, open back area. If the 3rd row is required to achieve that, AND 3rd row is thousand$, I'll look at the design and decide.

I'm with you. But I believe the flat space will be achievable without the third row. I don't want or need a third row and would rather have the space. Hopefully without a seat to fold down, there will be even more storage under the flat space in the back. Because. you know, the X is so small and has so little storage. :)

I'm with you. But I believe the flat space will be achievable without the third row. I don't want or need a third row and would rather have the space. Hopefully without a seat to fold down, there will be even more storage under the flat space in the back. Because. you know, the X is so small and has so little storage. :)

I have full faith in Tesla's designers and engineers. I think they will be able to sort this out as well.

FWIW: I did not get the email. ??? :frown:

Our MX will be my wifes car. She travels with a pack of dogs almost everywhere she goes. It's all about space. I'm glad the 3rd row is optional. I guess we'd get it and almost never use it (from experience) if it lays flat as one continuous area. Otherwise I think the good Dr. will say no since it's mostly about canine comfort.

As far as the crash/ rollover thing and the Falcon doors: I've been lurking here for a long time. I remember pages and pages of concerns about the MS before we ever saw one. Tesla NAILED it. It's a stunning and breathtaking achievement in many ways. NOT just the record breaking safety rating. I have no reason to believe that they wont nail it again. Including, but not limited to awesome safety ratings. I'll bet on it. It's simply gonna be another home run.

Additional FWIW: I like the "Tesla Princess" moniker. We should look at it as a badge of recognition, and an honor regardless of it's original intent, or source. :wink:

Either way, I'm in for a T-Shirt!

Several posts here have wondered about the frunk space in the X w/ the AWD running gear... there have been a few pic of the prototype where we can see what the remaining space is like after the "rear cavity" is no longer available... seems pretty sizable still:
tesla_model_x_frunk_sarah-100022135-large.jpg

(As an aside, I also think the falcon door safety concern is much ado about nothing... cars with gullwing/vertical doors are nothing new)