Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas Now Being Delivered with Turn Signal and Cruise Control Stalks Swapped!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another alternative is to keep the screen controls and add cruise control below. Everything is a trade-off.

energi_wheel.jpg

There's more buttons on that wheel than on the entire Model S. I think with the Tesla design obsession with minimizing the amount of buttons (Elon frequently brags about it in interviews), they'll never go in this direction. I don't blame them either, sometimes less is more, to me the Ford steering wheel looks like a nightmare designed by people with little regard for the end-user experience.

Mercedes-Benz moved the controls around on the M-class between 2011 and 2012.

Quite frankly I'm happy with mine just the way they are. Only as others have commented there is no sense in having an on/off switch for the cruise control and an obnoxious light on the stalk.

Mercedes-Benz moved the controls around on the M-class between 2011 and 2012.

Quite frankly I'm happy with mine just the way they are. Only as others have commented there is no sense in having an on/off switch for the cruise control and an obnoxious light on the stalk.

I didn't even realize there was a light since mine has the new stalks until today (took delivery yesterday). You can never see the cruise stalk it's always covered up now.

Do people really use cruise control that much anyway? May on a road trip I'll get to use it, but it's literally a handful of time per year for me...then again, I'm not in the habit, most of my driving years were in the UK, where the car was a manual, and cruise control, if available, was entirely pointless due to the traffic conditions.

The switch is about more than just stalk positioning. The new wheel works in conjunction with the new driver assist features, incorporating vibrational feedback into the wheel as part of the lane drift warning.

Assuming you got the sensors for it which I didn't. I'd say there's probably 2000 cars out there that got the swapped stalks and not the sensors (based on the roughly two weeks that the stalks were in production before the sensors started turning up). Who knows if the haptic features are in those 2000 cars or not.

I have the changed stalks but do not have the sensors. I wonder if this is something the service center can change for me.

Given that there are now pictures of the cruise stalk for the cars with sensors showing something that appears to be planned for ACC. It's look like there are more and more bits missing even from the very recent cars. I'd bet that the haptic feedback bits aren't there either.

Posted this in another thread but this is what my car without the sensors but with the new stalk order looks like. The new cruise stalk has a label on the end with the indention and that bit turns (mine doesn't).

IMG_2596.jpg

I have never heard of a "vented steering wheel". What is that exactly? Cool air comes out of tiny slits in the wheel?

Yup! Has a thin perforated ring around the steering wheel rim which (optionally) blows air. I didn't get to play with it enough to know if the air is heated or cooled. Around here steering wheels often can burn hands from sitting out during the day.

My friend's Ford Raptor is a very amazing truck. Surprising ride quality. Really odd mix of features and missing features. He has a forward camera with night vision but no rear facing camera.

I have the new setup on mine with the cruise control on the bottom. This feels more natural to me. I got a loaner last week with the older setup and that just confused the heck out of me. A lot of people probably thought I was jerk when I would switch lanes without the blinker and suddenly decelerate 5mph.