Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla's response to me leaking info about the P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's entirely unsurprising that Tesla will do everything it can to prevent their future roadmap being revealed on anything but their own terms.

Taking punitive actions against a customer is never a good idea, especially if you are trying to be unlike the "other" companies are trying to be a leader, and trying to recruit the best Silicon Valley talent.

The ones being messed with most likely see this messing with their affairs very differently.

There is a new thread on the subject and it is published elsewhere

This 'messing a little' is likely to have consequences

It is up to the messed party to say how much this messing with their affairs matters to them and it is up to Tesla to act as they see fit to protect themselves from being further messed with in this way.

It is a poetic justice when Tesla turns the tables and attempts to downgrade his car to an earlier firmware most likely in order to protect themselves from being further messed with, that seems to mess a little with wk057

Is it legal to hack and publish information obtained that way?

It's his car.

Let's say I buy an apple from a store. Then I start to eat it, in public view, where people can see the color of the apple inside as the partially bitten apple has a bite out of it. While eating it, the shop owner comes over and takes a slice out of my apple and inserts another piece of apple in its place, one with a worm hole no less.

The next day, the shop owner (perhaps a different shop owner) is selling another apple, and someone comes by to buy it. They go and buy it, and as they are leaving the store, they noticed that someone else had just bought another apple that looked better and they asked how much, and they said it was a similar price to the one he just bought. Now, he's mad, and goes back to the store, and the shop owner says a deal is a deal, you bought what you own. That would solve it, except this person decides to go to the King, and the King decrees that the shop owner must be investigated, and this causes a tax levied against the shop owner, and the shop owner must now close on Sundays and go to church, and then he can't afford for his children to go to college, potentially ending his genealogical line. Luckily, five years later, he starts selling better apples, and makes even more money, and is on the road to being able to send his children to college again, even if they were a little malnourished and subsequently got a bit fat due to fear of hunger. The shop owner hears of a shipment of very good apples coming. Someone else comes in to buy an apple, and it is truly a good apple, but the shop owner knows more apples are coming later in the week that are much much better. Someone down at the docks asks if any ships are coming in because he has some dock repairs to do. The shop owner replies he has a very important shipment of apples coming in, and what could he do to get the ship unloaded. The dock owner gracefully arranges for the ship to still be able to come in and dock, and then tells his wife about the apples, and she tells her mother who tells her other daughter who then, coincidentally, in the shop of the shop owner, runs into her boyfriend, a ward of the King, that they just learned of a new shipment coming in, and what it contains, will you believe it, and the shop owner runs over quickly and shouts "STOP!!!!!!!!!!!", takes the lady by the hand to the back room, and explains in dark terms that it is very important to him that his family goes to college. She understands, but feels violated to not be able to tell her boyfriend. In my fairy tale story, I'd like to believe that she assists the shop owner by allowing the apples to make their grand debut without hurting current apple sales, but it is a fiction entirely made up by me, and real life is different when it affects us personally. Some would consider it weak of the shop owner not to stop the woman from talking and divest their investments in the shop. Others would consider it a bad precedent to use force against the woman, even if in implication, and would rather not invest in the shop if it did do what the shop did, to make a more even playing field. Yet others would point out that the real problem that everyone was afraid of was the King, not any of these other things.

The details are in the details, so I can't make any personal determination on this particular issue, but I just wanted to say that there's ample on both sides to make both peace and hay with, and I suspect that the outcome will be beneficial to everyone since the parties are pretty smart. At least I hope so.

Last edited:
Taking punitive actions against a customer is never a good idea, especially if you are trying to be unlike the "other" companies are trying to be a leader, and trying to recruit the best Silicon Valley talent.
Not sure it's intentional, but my wings have been clipped on forums.teslamotors.com. Attempting to log in on the main forum page just returns to that page as if nothing was entered for user ID and password. I have an "alternate" account that gets me in and able to post, but not to see or create private threads.

I've been pretty vocal about the ESA and some recent service center issues. Is this intentional on the part of Tesla? Dunno. Multiple browsers and devices, same result.

Just a suggestion, but why not wait a while and see what happens? If they reload the update, it will be a strong indication of their intentions, and that perhaps word has come down from the top with respect to how you should be treated moving forward. Installing your version on your own gains you nothing but the ability to charge at rates between 40 and 64 amps or something. You can charge just fine now at 72 or 80 or 40. I think you have a lot more to gain by waiting to see what happens than by installing your own version now.

Maybe. But I kind of have been meaning to crack the updater anyway. Good a time as any.

Oh, and on that note. Success.

Code:
Mar  5 13:27:14 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO Found update sentinal file staged--XXXXXX 
Mar  5 13:27:14 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateVersion Set to 2.13.77-U 
Mar  5 13:27:14 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateProgram Set to General 
Mar  5 13:27:14 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO GUI_softwareUpdateDuration Set to 100 
Mar  5 13:27:14 cid QtCar[274]: [SoftwareUpdateManager] INFO checkForIndicator complete, [B]update 2.13.77-U is available: true[/B]

Look, bowing out now. My original posts on this issue were because wk was saying Tesla 'took the first swing' and I only wanted to point out how it could seem to some at Tesla that perhaps he had. Perceptions and all that.

A company being vindictive and punitive because a customer did something they didn't like is not a good idea. Especially since this was sloppy programming on their part... This is 2016, not 1950.

Apple OS has also had leak about new products in the code, so it isn't as if this is unique method of discovery.

Wait a minute!
Didn't Musk say something about Apple hiring people they fired? Maybe he had it backwards!

2f7fc0b4a3f110a8e171e5264fe0dd35.jpg

This is an impressive response. Tesla made a slip up here. And kudos to Jason for not releasing the info earlier, or more info than he did. There really is a high risk of Osborning the company. Jason did them a favor, both exposing the issue and in not doing more damage. And I also believe the Jason did not expect that his little tweet would be decrypted.

Methinks the feces are impacting the impeller blades within Tesla right now. Hopefully they will find a way to eliminate the possibility of this happening again in the future.

and I have just the opposite viewpoint. Thousands of people work at Tesla. They're working hard to make the March 31st event a big deal. wk gets some unreleased info out of his car and then goes online and shares it, harming what other people have worked hard and planned for, just so he can get some internet ego-boost. a LOT of effort goes into timing public announcements to generate the most interest. Early leaks do a large amount of harm to that. It's a dick move to everyone that works at Tesla.

If I understood wk057 correctly, his intention was not actually to publish any information, but only to commit to a certain message, i.e. to be able to later prove that he had discovered something of interest.

But one reason cryptography is difficult is that it is hard to tell when you have made a mistake. So if I had published a hash of a message like wk057 did, then by now I would surely wish that I had added some salt.

Last edited:
This is an impressive response...

Methinks the feces are impacting the impeller blades within Tesla right now. Hopefully they will find a way to eliminate the possibility of this happening again in the future.

Meh.
There is something wrong at Tesla if an "overzealous staffer" could do what was alleged without approval very high up.
Same as that whole ESA issue where stuff was posted and they later said it was a mistake.

Thank you for your guidance on this. To me, if this is true, it sounds more corporate policy following than a strategic approach; there will always be new rivers flowing and valleys forged in doing so, and a mature path forward would be to set up strategy to take advantage of this, not try to build dams and canals as the only way to control nature. But I've been wrong in the past; our planet is literally covered in urban areas where they've uninstalled rivers. I just don't see that as the best use of nature. But Tesla has their own right to treat it on their own terms, regardless of whether I see it as an enlightened approach or not. Also, I'm the first to admit that in a sea of regulations, sometimes the boats that must traverse it have to put their paddles in the water. Not saying I agree, but overall, I can see the path that transpired, if so, so, there it is, and peace be all. And as Bonnie has pointed out, at the end of the day, month, and year, I think we will all be better off, so no need to worry about the well in any kind of transcendent way. (i.e., wk057, take a nap, get some sleep, and yes I see the issues too.)

Shouldn't this be posted in the "How to repair a flooded Tesla" thread :confused:

So if I had published a hash of a message like wk057 did, then by now I would surely wish that I have added some salt.

Yup, definitely should have salted it. Didn't think about it at 3AM. Probably should have used one of Tesla's salts so that they could try and crack it. Maybe next time. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Can we just get a hint for 90635303cac8ab6a6a303d37db088f2a69d5224c59c5a486465f9d4be159e29d? Then I'll shut up about it.

It's a full list of changes I noticed 2.12.126 -> 2.13.77. Includes the P100D.

Yup, definitely should have salted it. Didn't think about it at 3AM. Probably should have used one of Tesla's salts so that they could try and crack it. Maybe next time. :p

- - - Updated - - -

well that will never be brute forced then. Ha. Oh well

- - - Updated - - -

or just not posted someone else's secrets on the internet. you'd totally be cool with someone compromising your identity and posting sensitive information online so long as it is hashed, right?

Meh.
There is something wrong at Tesla if an "overzealous staffer" could do what was alleged without approval very high up.
Same as that whole ESA issue where stuff was posted and they later said it was a mistake.

Not really. It implies that people in the company have some authority to make decisions (even dumb ones) without invoking a huge bureaucratic approval process. That's vital at a a fast reacting and innovative firm.

I suppose that there's a possibility that this decision was made higher up and then it was reconsidered after a bit of sober thought. But in any event it doesn't matter. EM has tossed out an olive branch. And, really, if Tesla was hanging stuff like this out there, it was only a matter of time before this happened.

And what do you suggest they do to make it impossible for this to happen? Companies have to trust their employees to some extent, like it or not.
I'd guess that some first or second line manager made a bad call and had someone initiate the downgrade. He/she is probably at very great risk of losing their job right now, if they haven't already. If more than one person was involved maybe several heads are on the chopping block.
The real telling part is Musk's response to this. If wk gives it a day or two, I expect he'll find all the updates are available again, and he may even get some sort of apology from Tesla (though Musk's tweet certainly qualifies as that, IMHO).

It it's information I had sent to thousands of customers already... sure?

Lesson learned for Tesla: don't include information you aren't ready for release in the firmware. You could have politely pointed that out to them instead of releasing it publicly.

It looks as if Tesla may have attempted to delete that version of firmware from your car as a way of protecting other information from being released as they no longer trust you with that information. However, you're painting it on the internet as a punitive action against you.

Every human being can relate to the feeling of having information before other people and being tempted to announce it early for the satisfaction. However, refusing to own up to your mistake is why some people are getting negative viewpoints in this thread.

Last edited:
or just not posted someone else's secrets on the internet. you'd totally be cool with someone compromising your identity and posting sensitive information online so long as it is hashed, right?

Well, once Tesla decided to distribute their secrets to buyers of their products it really stopped being their secrets.

A positive outcome is likely that Tesla will review their procedures regarding firmware versioning and distribution - and hopefully also what kind of staff is allowed to directly interfere with products already sold.

Not really. It implies that people in the company have some authority to make decisions (even dumb ones) without invoking a huge bureaucratic approval process. That's vital at a a fast reacting and innovative firm.

That is not my point.

It is either that a low level person had the ability to screw with a customer or it was approved by someone high up who has the authority to screw with a customer.

It is nothing about bureaucratic process, since it could have been that there is no process, or it was a single executive approving it with a one step process.

Erring on the side of screwing a customer, or making it it easy to screw a customer, is a strange decision.

- - - Updated - - -

And what do you suggest they do to make it impossible for this to happen? Companies have to trust their employees to some extent, like it or not.

I would start with having a senior exec sign off on a decision to screw a specific customer. I would err on the side of customer satisfaction.

If wk gives it a day or two, I expect he'll find all the updates are available again, and he may even get some sort of apology from Tesla (though Musk's tweet certainly qualifies as that, IMHO).

A day or two? How long does it actually take?
No, the tweet is neither an apology to the user or a statement that Tesla did anything wrong. He only personally separated himself from what happened and said hacking is cool, or whatever.

Usually an apology from a professional is "we are sorry that we did ..., we apologize for any inconvenience"

I am sure that when they get his contact info, they will do that.