Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslas to show side cameras when backing up. Yes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is the first time that Tesla has enabled the driver facing camera. But I am curious how it will be used to enhance safety in the case of an accident. Is it to see what the driver was doing, like if they were distracted, prior to a crash? I am still secretly hoping that Tesla will use the camera to monitor driver attention for hands-free driving.

It's so Tesla can show you were playing games on your phone when your car crashes into something while AP is engaged.

Right now the best they can do is say the wheel sensor didn't detect hands on wheel, or the driver had X number of feet with the obstacle obviously in front of him and did nothing.

The camera is the completely wrong type, in the completely wrong location, for driver attention monitoring. (I feel like this has been pretty exhaustively covered elsewhere).

Not according to the release notes that say the images, and video, will not be linked to your VIN.

The uploaded data won't be.

But it's gonna have a local copy on the crashed car obviously. Which won't really need to be "linked" to a VIN- it's in the actual crashed car

Not to mention it sounds like it is off by default and you have to go into the settings to turn enable it.

Because legally there's no other option. They can't just randomly starting videoing you without permission inside your car.

Took a MY for a test drive this last week and the very first thing that stood out was the lack of side/overhead camera views. How to tell where the vehicle is placed in a parking spot? How close is the front of the car to another when parking? When driving through a narrow curved area (drive through, etc) where are the curbs?

Attached are a couple of photos from the 360 camera view of another vehicle we drive, and these are all things easy to see.

Looking forward to a solution.

Attachments

• BMW Cam1.jpg
    BMW Cam1.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 74
  • BMW Cam2.jpg
    BMW Cam2.jpg
    635.7 KB · Views: 57
"Tesla owners may soon have the benefit of using the side cameras of their vehicles when backing up. Elon Musk confirmed that such functionality can be added in future updates after a brief exchange with a Tesla owner on Twitter."
Tesla to utilize side cameras to help drivers back up, confirms Elon Musk

I am very excited for this. It seems like one of those obvious features we should have gotten a long time ago.

Woohoo, six years from now they will have forgotten about it

WOW what a deal! $2500 to look at a cartoon of my car and still not have accurate parking info!!!! Sign me up!!!

(1) For Tesla to allow upgrades to the MCU is a pretty big deal. Almost none of the other auto manufactures offer an Infotainment Upgrade that brings all of the new entertainment capabilities.

(2) I'm not too sure what you mean by cartoon, unless you're referring to the Beach Buggy Racing 2, then yes your correct in that video game you DO see a cartoon of your Tesla and it also matches the color.

(3) It sounds like you're not too happy that a feature that was designed for the new MCU/2 that isn't available for your old MCU/1. As I stated above, it's an option. No one is forcing you to get MCU/2 with or without the radio option. Many have already because we see value in keeping our vehicles current. When you purchase your November 2016, there was no mention of the feature being available so you can't expect it to function on the old MCU/1.

It's pretty simple. You can choose to use your Tesla the way it is, or you can choose to pay for the optional upgrades to make the MCU/2 current and get all the new features that have arrived and are coming for MCU/2.

One that Elon has indicated is in the works (no ETA yet), is that the side repeater cameras will appear on the IC or MCU/2 when the left/right turn signal is engaged. Yes, it will also requires MCU/2. We are also expecting Minecraft in CY21 some time, and I'm sure there will be even more. GreenTheOnly may have found evidence of a 5G modem upgrade (yes it is optional), so we can hope to pay money to upgrade to 5G from our current 4G/LTE.

You may not like the fact that you have to pay for all these upgrades. That's the thing, they are optional. For those that want it, they can get it. It's an amazing gesture from Tesla to help keep our vehicles up to date.

Note: "To Sign You Up", just open up your app and make an service appointment and tell them you want the Infotainment Ugrade Package and if you choose add the $500 radio to it. It's an amazingly simply process to sign up.

Took a MY for a test drive this last week and the very first thing that stood out was the lack of side/overhead camera views. How to tell where the vehicle is placed in a parking spot? How close is the front of the car to another when parking? When driving through a narrow curved area (drive through, etc) where are the curbs?

Attached are a couple of photos from the 360 camera view of another vehicle we drive, and these are all things easy to see.

Looking forward to a solution.

I seem to recall having figured this out for several decades without overhead cameras. Just saying :)

Last edited:
(1) For Tesla to allow upgrades to the MCU is a pretty big deal. Almost none of the other auto manufactures offer an Infotainment Upgrade that brings all of the new entertainment capabilities.

(2) I'm not too sure what you mean by cartoon, unless you're referring to the Beach Buggy Racing 2, then yes your correct in that video game you DO see a cartoon of your Tesla and it also matches the color.

(3) It sounds like you're not too happy that a feature that was designed for the new MCU/2 that isn't available for your old MCU/1. As I stated above, it's an option. No one is forcing you to get MCU/2 with or without the radio option. Many have already because we see value in keeping our vehicles current. When you purchase your November 2016, there was no mention of the feature being available so you can't expect it to function on the old MCU/1.

It's pretty simple. You can choose to use your Tesla the way it is, or you can choose to pay for the optional upgrades to make the MCU/2 current and get all the new features that have arrived and are coming for MCU/2.

One that Elon has indicated is in the works (no ETA yet), is that the side repeater cameras will appear on the IC or MCU/2 when the left/right turn signal is engaged. Yes, it will also requires MCU/2. We are also expecting Minecraft in CY21 some time, and I'm sure there will be even more. GreenTheOnly may have found evidence of a 5G modem upgrade (yes it is optional), so we can hope to pay money to upgrade to 5G from our current 4G/LTE.

You may not like the fact that you have to pay for all these upgrades. That's the thing, they are optional. For those that want it, they can get it. It's an amazing gesture from Tesla to help keep our vehicles up to date.

Note: "To Sign You Up", just open up your app and make an service appointment and tell them you want the Infotainment Ugrade Package and if you choose add the $500 radio to it. It's an amazingly simply process to sign up.

first mention in this thread of need for MCU2 for this feature.

My MCU 1 failed just out of warranty so had to pay $1800 for new one they wouldnt do the upgrade altough i asked and was willing to pay (something about "limited availability")

At least I now have a remote shot at getting my money back, and if y'all fanboys consider this another "AMAZING GESTURE" from Mr overpromise and under deliver (sorry, Im not on a first name basis), know that the only reason it happened was that the NHTSA was breathing down his neck....

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I seem to recall having figured this out for several decades without overhead cameras. Just saying :)

Yes - these are first world problems. However, these are also the cons listed in almost every review of the car. These helpful features exist on the most basic of vehicles today, even 10 year old models. It's curious that Tesla has chosen to not include them as they detract from the user experience. Turns out this is almost a deal breaker for my better half who will be driving it daily.