TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TeslaTags (MP3/FLAC Retagger for Windows)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by DaiPlusPlus, Jun 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DaiPlusPlus

DaiPlusPlus Member

Hello everyone,

I have a large-ish MP3 collection I have on a USB stick that I have in my Model X that has plenty of multi-artist compilation albums and assorted random music files that the on-board MCU media library doesn't display correctly, mostly attributable to how it ignores the "Album Artist" tag and only respects the "Artist" tag.

So I wrote a GUI program for Windows that re-tags your MP3 and FLAC files so that multi-artist compilations aren't broken and you can listen to all the tracks in the correct order - and without excessive (single-track) artists listed in the Artists page. It also makes it easy to add missing album-art and warns you about files that potentially might not play at all on the Tesla MCU because they have APE tags (and has a button to remove them in one click).

This functionality already exists for Mac users by way of TeslaTunes, but for the rest of us on Windows (and Linux!, the command-line version included should work under Mono and DNX/.NET Core) we've been left to re-tag our files manually.

The code's up on GitHub at Jehoel/TeslaTags - and I've made binaries available for download at https://github.com/Jehoel/TeslaTags/releases/tag/release-2-flac-gui

Feedback appreciated! Thanks :D

• Like x 1
  2. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Hey thanks for putting this together. I'll take a look at it tonight.

3. DaiPlusPlus

DaiPlusPlus Member

• Like x 1
  4. DaiPlusPlus

DaiPlusPlus Member

(I wish I could edit my older posts on this forum so I don't have to spam replies)

Here's release 5 with support for OGG and RIFF (*.wav) files. As well as fixing a load of crashes and other issues people have reported.

github.com/Jehoel/TeslaTags/releases/tag/release-5

5. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Awesome... I'll give it a shot!

Thanks for the effort...

6. rshriot

rshriot New Member

This is AMAZING. Thanks for making the tool available to everybody.

I did run afoul of the car's overzealous caching until I read someone's clever suggestion to use a common root directory on the drive that includes the date or a version number. Forcing a cache reset with this setup is as simple as updating the root directory... this effectively changes the path name of every file on the USB drive, which makes the car re-read all of the data. It might be kind to include this somewhere in the README to save somebody else the confusion. :)

I do have a handful of albums that fail with errors that look like this in the logs...
    Could not save file: Unable to cast object of type 'TagLib.NonContainer.Tag' to type 'TagLib.Id3v2.Tag'.
    I can't work out how these files might be different than the ones that work. They validate correctly. They start out with ID3V2 tags that certainly look normal and healthy, just like the rest of my files. Any suggestions as to where things might be going wrong?

7. DaiPlusPlus

DaiPlusPlus Member

Those would be non-MP3 files.

Those crashes will be logged in your Windows Application event log, you'll see entries with Event ID 101 (not 1001) with a full stack trace, can you report them as Issues on GitHub? Thank you!