Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaWaze updates (was: TeslaWaze is Done!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now it's a proximity thing based on speed and is computed every 4 seconds. What version MCU do you have? I'm thinking on updating it to every second on MCU v2. Do you feel that the warning is too late?

I have MCU 2.0 but to me it's not necessarily that the warning is too late, or not, but unless I am looking down at the screen, I never see the warning in time for it to be useful. Especially because the Tesla map insists on being on top of the TeslaWaze map. Is there any way to play a sound alert 30 second before encountering traffic enforcement of any sort because that's a good amount of time to react to it safely and the audible warning would be noticed even if you are not actively looking down on the map.

Reactions: OPRCE
I have MCU 2.0 but to me it's not necessarily that the warning is too late, or not, but unless I am looking down at the screen, I never see the warning in time for it to be useful. Especially because the Tesla map insists on being on top of the TeslaWaze map. Is there any way to play a sound alert 30 second before encountering traffic enforcement of any sort because that's a good amount of time to react to it safely and the audible warning would be noticed even if you are not actively looking down on the map.
No there is no way to play sound thru the browser.

No there is no way to play sound thru the browser.

I understand. Could you please consider adding a prominent counter that counts down in miles to the next traffic enforcement entity on the same road you are presently traveling on? As it is now, I am constantly scanning the map looking for the tiny camera icons but it would be so reassuring if the interface said something like:

Next Speed Camera/Enforcemet: 8 miles away (this would be for a speed camera or an officer). This one number would be so much easier to look at and track rather than having to scan the whole map looking for camera icons along the road... Because really when I drive, all I want to know is how many upcoming miles are "safe..."

Reactions: OPRCE

Just curious: do you need Tesla map AND Waze? Doesn’t Waze give everything Tesla map does? If you only need Waze, you could make it full screen.

Just curious: do you need Tesla map AND Waze? Doesn’t Waze give everything Tesla map does? If you only need Waze, you could make it full screen.

I guess you have a good point about making the TeslaWze map full screen.

Still wish it counted down to the next traffic hazard as then if I see the next traffic hazard is 10 miles away, I don't need to constantly scan the screen for warnings every minute or two...

I guess you have a good point about making the TeslaWze map full screen.

Still wish it counted down to the next traffic hazard as then if I see the next traffic hazard is 10 miles away, I don't need to constantly scan the screen for warnings every minute or two...

I honestly would find this feature you are talking about more useful than even the TeslaWaze map, as it is implemented now. Sometimes the map is too busy to be useful when you are also concentrating on busy traffic in a congested area and you are driving someplace unfamiliar.

So how about a "threat Mode" screen for the TeslaWaze Web app that's basically a very nice minimalist Web page that just counts down to the next traffic threat? Perhaps the left side of the screen can count down in miles to the next traffic threat so it will read something like: "Speed Camera ahead in 4.7 miles." with a yellow background. When the threat is half a mile away, the background can turn red. When there are no traffic threats ahead, the background is green. This way you know everything is find in just a half a second glance. The other half of the page can show a much smaller version of the map showing the location of the traffic treat.

• Love
Reactions: OPRCE and DCEV
I'm subscribed to this thread, but don't use it (but am curious). I just use Waze on your phone, it tells me if there is something ahead (yeah, both police and "car stopped on road" etc.), and does the navigation for me ... I have added all the SC within 500 miles to my Favourites, so no problem navigating to one when needed. I use Tesla SatNav to get the big picture of map, but with sound on Mute.

Given how popular this thread is I must be missing something :)

I don't drive in town such that I might want to try adjacent roads etc., which might be a benefit of TeslaWaze to see any obstruction on those roads ... Waze on phone takes me through backroads when in town, to avoid slow traffic, and for the small amount of town driving I do I'm happy with that.

Reactions: DanInSunnyFL
When I use Waze, I too just want to know how far away a hazard is or if everything is all clear.

Dunno if it answers your question, but I use the Waze Location Reports summary screen for that

aid2378141-v4-728px-View-All-Local-Reports-on-Waze-Step-7.jpg.webp

this screen doesn't really count down the distance to the next traffic hazard -- right?

Yes, that's correct. I get the Waze announcement, but for Laser speed detection the announcement is too late (distance too short). I check the Location Reports summary periodically - a new Report may have been added of course ... so it just gives me an idea of where there is a Location Report, and then I can adjust speed as I approach and await the Waze Announcement.

But this screen doesn't really count down the distance to the next traffic hazard -- right?

Wish someone would create a super simplified Wave interface that is just based around counting down to the next traffic hazard as that's really all you need. You can then use the Tesla may for navigation and the Wave interface just for traffic and road hazards...

I'm almost tempted to try and write an app that does this.

Is it possible to have API access to the Waze road hazard database?