Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the Model Y, Model 3 and the Mach E back to back to back, yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve driven the Mach E and M3. The salesman was not in either car. The interior of the MME is nicer than the 3 and I appreciate the additional buttons of MME. My major concern is the inferior Ford software and their ability to deliver OTA like Tesla. Plus resale might be superior in Tesla. IMO, the MME is a better looking car than the Y. If I thought the 3 would suit my needs I’d go that way. I need to drive the Y. Right now, thinking MME.

I’ve driven the Mach E and M3. The salesman was not in either car. The interior of the MME is nicer than the 3 and I appreciate the additional buttons of MME. My major concern is the inferior Ford software and their ability to deliver OTA like Tesla. Plus resale might be superior in Tesla. IMO, the MME is a better looking car than the Y. If I thought the 3 would suit my needs I’d go that way. I need to drive the Y. Right now, thinking MME.
Just make sure you do your due diligence.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-issues-compilation-list-wiki.3430/

I drove the Mach-E yesterday (I've owned a LR RWD 3 since July 2018). I came away both impressed and underwhelmed. The Mach-E is a good car on the surface and will feel very comfortable to anyone who owns an ICE. However, as soon as I start thinking about all of the EV details it loses most of its luster. It has a huge battery, but doesn't go far (inefficient). The powertrain is very clunky at low speeds. OTA updates will be of questionable use outside bug fixes. Long distance travel might be technically possible, but I think it will be slow and arduous.

The Mach-E is an okay car to recommend to a wealthy relative who doesn't do road trips outside the local area. I say wealthy, because it might turn out to be a turd and they need to be in a financial position to lose money on it.

We are looking for a new car for my wife. We decided to buy our first EV. We visited our daughter and and we’re able to test drive both Teslas while there. On our the way home we were able to stop at a Ford dealer who had a Mach E available for test drives.

We drove the model Y first, white with black interior. We then drove the model 3, Blue with white interior. She mainly drove them, but I did get a chance to drive both on the way back to the dealer. My car history is heavy on performance. Multiple BMW M cars and pure gas guzzling sports cars (Dodge Viper ACR, etc.). I love the tech of the EVs as well as the insane straight line power. I was curious about the handling/cornering. I was pleasantly surprised by the Teslas. Obviously the Model 3 handled better than the Model Y due to the sedan vs SUV aspect. We liked how both rode, drove and handled. We also loved the tech loaded into both. The center screens are large and bright. They are integrated into the dash well (to the eye). The software was quick and relatively intuitive (especially if you use a smartphone/IPad). The interiors are clean and sleek, as everyone already knows.

The Mach E was black with black interior. It was the AWD version. The interior is more traditional with the drivers cluster and more switches and knobs. The center screen is in portrait orientation. It sadly looks like they glued an IPad to the dashboard. It just stuck out visually (something my wife also noted. The seats in the Mach E were the most comfortable. Rear legroom was surprisingly ample. The trunk/hatch was minuscule compared to the Model Y. We have a daughter who uses a wheelchair, so we gauge adequate truck/rear space by the ability to put the chair in. The Y, no problem putting the chair in upright. The Model 3 on its side. The Mach E we would have to remove the wheels and collapse the chair. I had more rear space in my M6. Driving/handling/ride of the Mach E was very comparable to the two Teslas. I fully understand that these cars won’t handle like a Viper, but they are pleasant to drive. The acceleration of the Mach E was anemic. Both Teslas destroy it in that department. The outside aesthetics go to the Mach E, IMO. It is a damn nice looking car. Not that the Y or 3 is ugly, just different. They definitely were using the lines of the Mustang to attract traditionalists. They got that one correct.

It was great to be able to drive these on the same day all in a row. In all honesty I was leaning towards the Mustang (especially with all of the hype and reviews), so much so that I had a deposit on one. And remember, I have no brand loyalty or predisposition to any maker. Well, this morning I contacted the dealer about getting a refund. Once that happens and my wife is ready we will be ordering a LR Model Y for her.

A side note, I wanted to sit in a Model S to see what the seat position is liked and there were none on the lot. Once my lease is up in a year I will most likely be getting the S. I’ll wait until later in the year for the Plaid version to be on the lot to drive and then decide between it and the + version.

So, what led to you deciding to ask for a refund of your deposit on the Mach E and go with the Y?

I noticed that the Mack E has 225 tires while the Model Y has 255 tires (or staggered 255 / 275).
I wonder if you didn't noticed any handling difference from the tires between both cars,
especially when hard braking or accelerating in a curvy road?

I’d love to see some one fit 225 or 235’s on a LR AWD Model Y and conduct some tests. Those 255’s have to have a considerable negative impact on range especially at freeway speeds. We know the MYP gets back some range when fitted with the OEM 255’s. I have friends that did that.

I’d love to see some one fit 225 or 235’s on a LR AWD Model Y and conduct some tests. Those 255’s have to have a considerable negative impact on range especially at freeway speeds. We know the MYP gets back some range when fitted with the OEM 255’s. I have friends that did that.

There are people running 235s with pretty good results. That’s what we’ll be running on ours in the winter.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I noticed that the Mack E has handles on the ceiling above each door.

This is something missing on the Model 3/Y and would be certainly appreciated by many people,
especially when you cannot fully open your door when park next other cars or near a wall in a garage.

21_FRD_MCH_48138.jpg.renditions.original.png

Great summary. You summarized my thoughts about the 3 cars better than I could. We already have a Model 3 (mine) and we’re test driving a Y today. Our showroom finally has a 7 seater on display.

Well the Model Y test drive didn’t disappoint. We test drove a Performance model, as all the LRs were taken (oh darn). Tesla really knocked it out of the park with this car. It’s the perfect intersection of performance and utility.

Now to decide on 5 vs 7 seats. I’m leaning toward 5, wife is leaning toward 7. I’ll be interested in reading and watching reviews of families with 2 small kids (2 and soon to be newborn here).

Great review. If you’re considering the S Plaid + then it makes good sense to go with the Y for the missus for when you set up home charging. I have a M3P and will soon be pulling the trigger on a MY for the wife. I was going to get another charger in the garage for her but changed my mind because we can easily share.

FWIW I went from a BMW M4 to my M3P, after owning a string of BMWs. No one talks enough about how much fun these cars are. Best car I’ve ever owned by a long shot. If you get the S Plaid+ (if you can afford the Plaid you might as well go the distance) it would be like another dimension.

Another dimension.

Great review. If you’re considering the S Plaid + then it makes good sense to go with the Y for the missus for when you set up home charging. I have a M3P and will soon be pulling the trigger on a MY for the wife. I was going to get another charger in the garage for her but changed my mind because we can easily share.

FWIW I went from a BMW M4 to my M3P, after owning a string of BMWs. No one talks enough about how much fun these cars are. Best car I’ve ever owned by a long shot. If you get the S Plaid+ (if you can afford the Plaid you might as well go the distance) it would be like another dimension.

Another dimension.
We will set up 2 home chargers, because the MY will be garaged in our detached 2nd garage (our handicap accessible van takes up 2 spots in the attached 3 car garage due to the mechanical ramp). I am of the same mind, if I think about the plaid version just go all in with the +. My favorite car up till now was my M6 that I dropped a Dinan stroked engine in. Luxury and insane performance.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Well the Model Y test drive didn’t disappoint. We test drove a Performance model, as all the LRs were taken (oh darn). Tesla really knocked it out of the park with this car. It’s the perfect intersection of performance and utility.

Now to decide on 5 vs 7 seats. I’m leaning toward 5, wife is leaning toward 7. I’ll be interested in reading and watching reviews of families with 2 small kids (2 and soon to be newborn here).

Currently the Model Y Performance can only be configured with 5 seats, whereas the Model Y Long Range can be either 5 or 7 seats. That said, unless Tesla opens up the Performance for 7 seats the decision has been made for us.

I’d have to imagine the added weight of the third row seats negatively impacts performance and range, which is probably something Tesla isn’t interested in walking back.

Thanks for a good comparison. Even though I don't like the Mach-E at all as it resembles me some Infiniti CUV and I always hated the long hood that obstructs view in all Ford's models, and which stands out really odd on an EV. That said, I thought the Mach-E is an interesting first try by Ford, the only major fault is mediocre "fast" charging with 80% DCFC limit. Unfortunately, they totally screwed up the rollout that includes stop ship orders, returning cars to the factory, draining 12V battery to the death, software glitches, failing electric motors, not closing doors, panel gaps(!), high-pitch sound from the screen, etc. etc. Even if I were in love with the Mach-E, I'd wait until next year at least.

Why in the World would Ford put a long hood on an EV. Would be far better to move the firewall forward and make more room on the inside for passengers and cargo.
My picture in <- Avitar gives a good example of how Tesla had done this to good effect.

Foolish styling trick to make buyers feel that there is a huge powerful V-8 engine up front, when in reality it is just a compact electric motor.

I really like the Mach E styling, inside and out. I haven’t driven one yet, but the reviewers are certainly raving about it. It appears that Ford has done a good job, particularly since this is their first real go at this. I wouldn’t buy one in the first model year, but I’ll definitely test drive one to compare to the Austin built Ys once those are out. It’s great to have options.