Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drove the Model Y, Model 3 and the Mach E back to back to back, yesterday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AlamoX - oh, I wasn't arguing... just surprised that any other seats would win by comparison. I watched a video "interview" of Elon Musk by Sandy Munro where Sandy stated that most of the auto manufacturers hire out the seat manufacturing but Tesla does their own... Sandy was very impressed with the seats. Elon claimed they went through many iterations to ensure there were no points of pressure from the seat. I think they're dream seats. maybe I need to go test drive a Mach-E ;)

Both the Y and 3 were the LR version. Still way more sporty than the Mach E. We didn’t test the performance models, just because it’s for my wife and she isn’t into that (Don’t ask me why?!?). I will hopefully be able to test drive a Model S plaid version later in the year.
also the suspension in the performance Y is stiffer, also the ride, and that cannot be changed, so the Y LR is a smoother ride.

Friend of mine highly encouraged me to get a Mach-e because it's "made by a more reputable manufacturer". As much as I think it's a good option for an EV, I don't know... it's too "new". No other manufacturers have gotten the "ev" thing right yet (besides Tesla). I know exactly what to expect with a Tesla. They've been around long enough...specifically in the EV world. They have a great charging network and I know I can drive it almost anywhere.

The Mach-e? Sure, it has the Ford name behind it... but Ford isn't know for their EVs yet. What about charging? I know they're trying to stand up their own network and I'm sure they're going to do well there... but this is their first real attempt at an EV. Plus, the range falls just a little shy of what I'm comfortable with.

I'm sure if I decided to get a Mach-e, I'd be super happy with it, but I'm glad I chose Tesla because I know EXACTLY what I got.
Ford is not exactly a reputable brand. If I was buying an ICE car I wouldn’t touch a Ford with a barge pole. Why would I consider it for an EV?

Ford is not exactly a reputable brand.
Not so sure Tesla is either. I just bought a Tesla and was considering a Mach-E. I imagine that if Tesla built ICE they'd be terrible. I think Tesla gets by on quality issues because EVs are much less complex than ICE. Once Ford builds a couple hundred thousand Mach-E then I think it will be a really compelling alternative.

Not so sure Tesla is either. I just bought a Tesla and was considering a Mach-E. I imagine that if Tesla built ICE they'd be terrible. I think Tesla gets by on quality issues because EVs are much less complex than ICE. Once Ford builds a couple hundred thousand Mach-E then I think it will be a really compelling alternative.
I am not sure you have been watching Munro’s videos. True that Tesla needs to improve its fit&finish, but Tesla is a computer-on-wheel, and is (way) ahead in many areas including battery/control system, voice control, self-driving etc…
It’s not an accident that Tesla is the most satisfying car forever.

The recent Explorer and F-150 issues shows Ford can't make a conventional vehicle, either.

Reactions: mark95476
Interesting read so far. We bought a Ford PHEV 7 years ago that has been incredibly reliable except for the Ford Sync system. The computer for it died and makes the Mytouch system inoperable so you lose functionality to some things. Unlike Tesla though, a lot of the functions have analog buttons so we could still control the AC, and a lot of othe functions even if the we couldn't use the nav or radio. If the screen goes on the Tesla, your car is basically unusable.

To fix the issue, the Ford dealer quoted $1200. I couldn't see investing that much on a 7 year old car with over 100k miles. I was able to find a replacement part for $300 and fixed it myself in 20 minutes. Unlikely to be able to do that with a Tesla. I never had an issue with the drivetrain, charging, or anything else. While the electric range was limited, we could go over 500 miles at 75-80 mph on the highway without refueling. Especially since from what I've read, the MME tends to beat their mileage claims in normal use whereas most people with Teslas don't make the stated range. So based on my Ford experience, I would consider an MME, just not right now. I'll order a Tesla this week and revisit the MME in a year or two once it gets through the first year teething issues.

I had the second year Ford and the teething issues were much less. So I assume the MME will be the same. I can say our Ford's paint looks better after 7 years driven in extreme conditions with no protection better than many Teslas I've seen locally after just a year or two. Everything lined up on the body panels, paint was excellent, overall fit and finish was great. Tesla may make a better car in some ways, but Ford's experience in assembly was obvious in our car.

I truly hope Ford is very successful with the MME. At a minimum, it will force Tesla to step up its game. Racing improves the breed as saying goes but so does almost any competition. The better the MME, the better I think Tesla will have to be to stay in business. Same applies to having Rivian in the market.

I'm honestly not at all impressed with Tesla's infotainment or navigation. For such a supposedly high tech car.. it feels dated. Yes there's a huge 15" screen.. but the navigation software is sorely lacking compared to popular apps like Waze, Google Maps and hell even Apple Maps. Then there are the weak audio sources.. really Slacker radio & Spotify premium? Who gets excited over either one of those? Almost everything I've listened too over the past 10 years has been a mix of Podcasts, iHeart Radio, Pandora, Audible, Google Music, Apple Music, Youtube Music and Sirius XM. Hell there is now even support for WhatsApp, Zoom & Microsoft Teams in CarPlay.. and they all have dedicated apps that work beautifully on the cars touch screen.. which extremely important as this is way most of us now attend meetings and share with coworkers as we have adjusted to working from home.

While I do enjoy the other facets of the Tesla experience.. especially the way the vehicle drives. Needing to pick up my phone to attempt to do any of the stuff I listed above over a Bluetooth connection feels like going 10 steps backwards.. forget 2 steps. It feels like I'm back to use the AUX port again. Because thats essentially what BT connected audio is like. And while I would honestly prefer for Tesla to just stop BS'ing.. and just finally add CarPlay through an OTA update. At a minimum Tesla needs to offer a 3rd party App Store so that the above apps can atleast have a real chance of landing some space on that 15" real estate. Hell when I think about it.. the best navigation app for a Tesla is ABRP.. thanks to the custom routing/driving/charging features.. and ironically.. its also available on CarPlay lol.

Finally making phone calls, conferencing or switching calls and receiving/replying/sending text messages in a Tesla also feels dated. Way too many clicks to do these things that are much better laid out on CarPlay.. thanks to big colorful icons which are much easier to see/touch while driving.. even on a tiny 7" screen like what was in my CRV. Being able to use Siri (or OK Google for the Android Auto people) is also sorely missed as I could do things like tell it to "open the garage door".. instead I have to pay Tesla $300 for a garage door opener that should have honestly been included with the vehicle. Did I even mention if you have a smart garage door opener.. CarPlay will automatically show an icon on the dashboard to open/close the door and give a status.. and its costs absolutely nothing to add. Siri/OKGoogle also great for using other home automation features like telling your smart home to turn off all the lights or turn on the alarm.. again something I now have to pick my up while driving to do.

Also for the person complaining about having to plug-in a phone to use CarPlay on older vehicles. There is an extremely popular $120 wireless adapter that plugs into the USB port and works amazingly well at converting any wired CarPlay connection.. to a wireless one. I've used it my old 2018 Honda CR-V (traded it for the Model Y) and my wife's 2018 Atlas and its one of those things that works so amazingly well.. you wonder why the manufactures just dont offer it straight from the factory.
Interesting. I’m finding navigation to be as good or better than Apple and google (and so fast) here in LA, though I wish there was the option to avoid highways. Just this past weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to see the bench on top of westridge canyon back trail on my Tesla map — never shows up in Apple Maps or google. I often have to put in coordinates to find trails. I’ve only had our Tesla for three days but I’ve already used Siri through it without a problem. Set my phone as “preferred” and then just say “hey Siri” as usual. I play music in my iPhone library over Bluetooth most of the time and can control through Siri. It’s been pretty easy!

I’m finding navigation to be as good or better than Apple
My experience is not the same as yours. I can think of about three occasions recently where Tesla maps bring me to the wrong house or just give up when I get close. Also missed an exit navigating on local freeways yesterday. It wasn't clear which lane I should be in, so I had to loop around and lost about 10-15 minutes.

Also, Tesla's route is "any color you want as long as its black". Apple Maps usually offers three different routes to choose from.

Worst is the podcast player in TuneIn. (May be repeating myself, sorry if I already posted it here). It usually fails to pick up a podcast where you left off. Starts at the beginning. Also sometimes will display today's podcast and indicate its playing it but actually playing one from last week.

CarPlay is superior IMHO, for me. I've been working on a way to bring CarPlay to my Tesla. I'll probably post a whole new thread when I get it worked out.

My experience is not the same as yours. I can think of about three occasions recently where Tesla maps bring me to the wrong house or just give up when I get close. Also missed an exit navigating on local freeways yesterday. It wasn't clear which lane I should be in, so I had to loop around and lost about 10-15 minutes.

Also, Tesla's route is "any color you want as long as its black". Apple Maps usually offers three different routes to choose from.

Worst is the podcast player in TuneIn. (May be repeating myself, sorry if I already posted it here). It usually fails to pick up a podcast where you left off. Starts at the beginning. Also sometimes will display today's podcast and indicate its playing it but actually playing one from last week.

CarPlay is superior IMHO, for me. I've been working on a way to bring CarPlay to my Tesla. I'll probably post a whole new thread when I get it worked out.

The latest teardown from Munro. Welcome to repair costs in a couple of years:

I've been using Siri to play podcasts and music through the Tesla. I just say "hey siri," then give it directions. I don't engage Tesla's voice commands to do it, I just say it out loud so my phone can hear me. I've never had CarPlay in a vehicle, so perhaps I'm easier to please, ha ha.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

Totally agree. Had this issue last Friday and then had to pull out Apple Maps to get to the right house. Also find the traffic based navigation judgement of the Tesla is terrible. It has too much of a bias to back roads vs highways and does not seem to factor time taken at traffic lights.

I have to say I am very disappointed by Tesla Nav. Interestingly I find the Mercedes nav to be very good and it always matches the route of my preferred mapping provider.

I personally like the look of the Mach E a lot but for me, I was never seriously considering it because I wanted the Supercharger Network.. For most, the Electrify America CCS/Chademo network is enough but we have family in South Texas and there is no non Tesla fast charger in that area. So, Tesla was the only option. Model 3 doesn't have enough space as we have 2 kids, so for me it was between the X and the Y.. While the X is clearly superior to the Y, it's not $30000 superior.. I rather get another Model Y for the wife later for just a little more money (for 2 MY's) than I would spend on the X.

Thanks for all the information as I wondered about the Mustang. My wife was absolutely dead-set on a Lexus 350, and I promised her one when she retired 5 months ago. However, while I was car inspecting, I had a Tesla test drive...wow. I actually tricked my wife into a test drive..then took her on our dinner date "steak dinner". That evening she talked non-stop about that amazing MY. Yep, ordered one the next day and received delivery 5 weeks later. She has never looked back!