Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, lot of activity here, congrats to all fellow TX soon-to-be-M3-owners!
I patiently await mine, I might have gotten a little excited and ahead of myself after hearing non-owner config emails going out yday and have locked in my RBFCU loan, but I don't have my config email yet!
I have 90 day lock is what they said, I am hoping next week/batch would be mine!
3/31 reservation in-store res....

Had to run some errands near the SC last night and my son was begging to go by and try to catch a glimpse. Much to my surprise, we were able to drive around back, park, and walk right up to them and check them all out. Although it was dark, we could see them well enough. What a beautiful car. I thought all the colors looked really good. Now, it’s going to be an even longer final 72 hours.

Had to run some errands near the SC last night and my son was begging to go by and try to catch a glimpse. Much to my surprise, we were able to drive around back, park, and walk right up to them and check them all out. Although it was dark, we could see them well enough. What a beautiful car. I thought all the colors looked really good. Now, it’s going to be an even longer final 72 hours.

Almost there!!!

Cant wait to see pics and here real world, Texas feedback.

I’m suuuuuureeeee you only went because your son wanted too

My dude said that my car was done in production, was getting a post-prod inspection, and would be staging to get on the rail to TX. (Who knew it moved by rail? I thought it was all trucks..) So hopefully I'll hear more today.

So I have a tentative date maybe in the week of March 12th... so that would be right around 9 weeks since config, and 2.5-3 weeks after payment.

But I have to say... I think I hit the jackpot with my dude... he's been responsive and helpful, and even semi-laughs at my bad jokes! I'm guessing he replies to 10,000 emails a day, but he still manages to be personable and helpful... WIN!

Reactions: Dr. J and benjiejr
My dude said that my car was done in production, was getting a post-prod inspection, and would be staging to get on the rail to TX. (Who knew it moved by rail? I thought it was all trucks..) So hopefully I'll hear more today.

So I have a tentative date maybe in the week of March 12th... so that would be right around 9 weeks since config, and 2.5-3 weeks after payment.

But I have to say... I think I hit the jackpot with my dude... he's been responsive and helpful, and even semi-laughs at my bad jokes! I'm guessing he replies to 10,000 emails a day, but he still manages to be personable and helpful... WIN!
Long hauling on a truck makes more sense for low volumes, especially when time is money. There's no layover delay with trucking. With rail when you are switching between regions you can see a few days of the railcar sitting waiting for transfer.

So pre-Model 3 it makes more sense for using only trucks, you drive across the country and drop off a few here and there as you go.

The economics though are railcars carrying an extra few cars, or about double the cars if use a triple decker which can load 15 cars of M3 size IIRC, for about half the price of the railcar vs trucking a carrier trailer. So you're looking at 75% savings or better. Shipping in the numbers Kenriko is talking about to a single location, that's probably >$10K savings in shipping costs. The could put all those on just 4 railcars. I expect they'll offload them over by Hardy Toll north of Beltway 8 (I'm pretty sure there's some yards over there used for vehicles) and a carrier can scoot them the few miles over to the SC.

P.S. This might be why they've got that new staging area an hour outside of Fremont, that may be a good rail hub for this? Don't know CA's rail system that well.