Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Never have. Been pulled over once or twice, never have they raised it, even when I've been let off without a ticket. I guess if they're going to find a reason to get you, they'll find a reason.

You all are lucky! When I bought my car without a front license plate 5 years ago, I was pulled over and ticketed twice in 2 years in Austin solely for not having a front license plate. I quickly learned my lesson and put on a front license plate after that.

In the next couple of weeks, a surge of Model 3's will be in TX. Is everyone planning on keeping the front plate on?

I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars for decades. In nearly 30 years it's only been an issue once, when a state trooper used it as an excuse to pull over a fancy car and do a little fishing. When he saw that we were a harmless family and not something more interesting, he just let us go.

In my experience if you put your designated front plate, in between the dash and windshield, you're good to go. This allows you to preserve the great front fascia design. YMMV
Technically that still does not meet the legal requirement. While it could be argued it's better than not having front plate at all, in reality it isn't any more legal by having it in the windshield.

this is pertinent section of regulation:
(1) must display two license plates, one at the exterior front and one at the exterior rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in a horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom, except that a vehicle described by Transportation Code, §621.2061 may place the rear plate so that it is clearly visible;

and link for complete if someone wants to read:
Texas Administrative Code

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and zkmusa
Technically that still does not meet the legal requirement. While it could be argued it's better than not having front plate at all, in reality it isn't any more legal by having it in the windshield.

this is pertinent section of regulation:
(1) must display two license plates, one at the exterior front and one at the exterior rear of the vehicle that are securely fastened at the exterior front and rear of the vehicle in a horizontal position of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom, except that a vehicle described by Transportation Code, §621.2061 may place the rear plate so that it is clearly visible;

and link for complete if someone wants to read:
Texas Administrative Code
That's all fine and dandy. As long as it's 'interior' front facing, horizontal and 12" from the ground, 2.5/3 requirements should be alright.
upload_2018-2-26_14-45-36.png

giphy.gif

That's all fine and dandy. As long as it's 'interior' front facing, horizontal and 12" from the ground, 2.5/3 requirements should be alright.
View attachment 283086
giphy.gif
"Exterior" might be taken as implying "visual from the exterior". After all by my reading you can have a cover over the plate as long as it doesn't distort/impair vision of it. TEX TN. CODE ANN. § 502.409

So you've got the plate on the front, definitely the min 12" up from the ground, and horizontal. Just that it's got is really big protective but clear, non-distorting plate over it. *shrug*

"Exterior" might be taken as implying "visual from the exterior". After all by my reading you can have a cover over the plate as long as it doesn't distort/impair vision of it. TEX TN. CODE ANN. § 502.409

So you've got the plate on the front, definitely the min 12" up from the ground, and horizontal. Just that it's got is really big protective but clear, non-distorting plate over it. *shrug*
giphy.gif

Reactions: Pkmmte
View attachment 283086
But that's not what it says. It says "exterior front", not interior or front facing. Not meaning to argue, I've just been told by multiple law enforcement officials that the intent and interpretation of the regulation is that the plate in the windshield is not any more legal than not having the front plate at all. Will you be stopped for it? Probably not. I choose to not have a front plate and don't bother in the windshield. I don't see the point as it's not any more legal and I don't want a thin metal object flying around in the event of an accident.

Anyway, sorry for veering off-topic, enough license plate talk. :p

OK, back to VIN/delivery pain. I made the fatal mistake of letting a call last Friday afternoon from Las Vegas go to voicemail; my general rule is if they're not in my contacts, I probably don't need to speak to them. Anyway, of course it was Tesla wanting to finalize paperwork. I called Keilani back after about 15 minutes, voicemail. Sent her an email. Now it's Monday, I've left a new VM, and tried calling 5 times, but she never picks up, or returns calls/emails. There goes another day :-/

OK, back to VIN/delivery pain. I made the fatal mistake of letting a call last Friday afternoon from Las Vegas go to voicemail; my general rule is if they're not in my contacts, I probably don't need to speak to them. Anyway, of course it was Tesla wanting to finalize paperwork. I called Keilani back after about 15 minutes, voicemail. Sent her an email. Now it's Monday, I've left a new VM, and tried calling 5 times, but she never picks up, or returns calls/emails. There goes another day :-/

She told me on Friday evening that she was going to be gone for the next 4 days.