Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this info over at the M3OC forums:

New
I just had a call from my Tesla rep. I had called the 888 number yesterday to ask if I could move my delivery location from Texas to California if Texas was having issues. The rep verified that Texas had been having issues but they were now getting resolved. He also informed me that deliveries in Texas will take an extra 7-10 days beyond the 3-6 weeks mainly due to requiring payment to be processed before the car can be loaded onto the shipping truck. The rep also mentioned that I would receive a package in the next few weeks with papers to sign for the DMV and it'd have a pre-paid envelope to send back. Since I already have a loan ready to go, he said it'd make the process a little faster but not much.

I asked when should I expect a VIN number and he said within 2-3 weeks from today (I configured 02.22). He did mention that he normally doesn't call anyone unless he had a VIN ready for them but since I had called yesterday asking about moving my delivery location, he had decided to call me before then. I am financing through Alliant and all they need now is a VIN. He said once I'm assigned a VIN, he would contact Alliant and give them all of the information to get the ball rolling so the vehicle can be loaded as quickly as possible. Once the vehicle arrives here in Houston, it's going to be the "easiest pick up ever", he claimed.

So the "Texas Issues" are/were true. I don't expect my vehicle to arrive until possibly mid April and that's fine as long as it gets here. As much as I'd love to get it sooner, the drive from CA to TX is a little too boring for me and knowing me, I'd end up in Vegas and losing the car at the craps table.

So I just got my overnight fedex package and as someone said here if states to do it pre delivery not to “delay” your shipping.

I can drop it off tomorrow but they don’t overnight on weekends for delivery I don’t think to Tesla. Scheduled delivery is Tuesday.

Will be interesting to see if this impacts it.

Really though the car should be at the SC already no? How many days do they get it early for prep? Anyone know
Our batch showed up on Friday for Wednesday delivery, if that’s any indication.

Congrats on your new Model 3 @spudnik187 ! Glad it has been every bit of amazing for you thus far.

I have a question that I thought may be best received here, seeing as how majority of those involved in this thread are in TX. Could those of you in DFW state who performed your 14-50 240V install? I've obtained quotes the last couple of days, and didn't want to leave any rocks unturned if TMC members had some good advice to offer. Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. Thank you! :)

Congrats on your new Model 3 @spudnik187 ! Glad it has been every bit of amazing for you thus far.

I have a question that I thought may be best received here, seeing as how majority of those involved in this thread are in TX. Could those of you in DFW state who performed your 14-50 240V install? I've obtained quotes the last couple of days, and didn't want to leave any rocks unturned if TMC members had some good advice to offer. Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. Thank you! :)

Here is who we used. Called for quotes and they came same day and a very clean install and amazing customer service. A lots of Teslas in the Frisco/Mckinney area and he was very knowledgeable on needs, location and set up.

Highly highly recommended (no affiliation :))

Licensed Master Electrician

Here is who we used. Called for quotes and they came same day and a very clean install and amazing customer service. A lots of Teslas in the Frisco/Mckinney area and he was very knowledgeable on needs, location and set up.

Highly highly recommended (no affiliation :))

Licensed Master Electrician
Thanks for recommendation! Would you mind sharing pricing so I'm able to decipher what's a good rate? I can't find a benchmark of some sort for our area.

If anyone in the Houston area needs electrical installation, I used Chams Electric and they were awesome. Cheikh is very professional, courteous, and does everything by the book (everything was exactly to code, and was permitted and inspected).

Chams Electric
832-659-3442
[email protected]
Services the Houston area.

Thanks for recommendation! Would you mind sharing pricing so I'm able to decipher what's a good rate? I can't find a benchmark of some sort for our area.

FYI pricing will vary dramatically based on your house, how long the wiring needs to be, how difficult it is to run the wiring from your panel to the garage port, etc... Mine was on the extreme end of the scale and was about $1700. If you want to know if a company is being fair you'll need to get multiple quotes instead of trying to compare against what someone on here paid even if they are in the same town. I got quotes all the way up to $2400.

@spudnik187 I would love to check your car out sometime. I am way too busy but maybe we could make it work sometime...

Reactions: GDNTX
As someone stated above it will vary based on your box, age of home, etc.

Mine was super simple. In my garage, right under my box, $350.
Yes I understand that. Maybe I should've prefaced that with the quotes received, I too have what's considered a 'simple setup'. All companies thus far have said it can go in my garage, right under the box (due to variables mentioned above).

Yes I understand that. Maybe I should've prefaced that with the quotes received, I too have what's considered a 'simple setup'. All companies thus far have said it can go in my garage, right under the box (due to variables mentioned above).

If it is right under your box, you may be able to do it yourself. I had a Tesla recommended company come out for an estimate. They quoted $900 under the subpanel and $2200 for 20 feet away to put it by my car. Instead, I bought the materials, watched a few YouTube videos, and did it on a Saturday for $300.

Any of my fellow Dallas delivery waiters have “pending” as their payment still even though delivery scheduled?

I reached out to ISA and he said everything is still good to go.

But ya know, Tesla. So it always makes me worry with their “amazing” track record of delays.

Everything else says complete even though payment method still sitting in pending though they received the check a long time ago.

Anyone else? @spudnik187 what did yours say leading up to delivery?

Thanks all

If it is right under your box, you may be able to do it yourself. I had a Tesla recommended company come out for an estimate. They quoted $900 under the subpanel and $2200 for 20 feet away to put it by my car. Instead, I bought the materials, watched a few YouTube videos, and did it on a Saturday for $300.

Wow that is a crazy quote to run it 20 feet. Just for reference mine was about 130' of wire. It was run from my panel on the left side of my house up the brick in conduit into my 1st floor attic. It was converted in a junction box to romex then fished from the first floor attic to the 2nd floor attic. Then fished down an exterior wall from the second floor attic to the small attic above my 3rd car garage bay. Then across that bay down the wall to where the plug was going to be. The total was $1700. Then keep in mind that the permit costs were about $200 so they charged me $1500 for an entire day of two electricians and about $300 worth of wiring/conduit/hardware. I think it was a fair price.

If it was a simple job and the panel was already in my house I would have probably done it myself. I have an EE degree though.

Any of my fellow Dallas delivery waiters have “pending” as their payment still even though delivery scheduled?

I reached out to ISA and he said everything is still good to go.

But ya know, Tesla. So it always makes me worry with their “amazing” track record of delays.

Everything else says complete even though payment method still sitting in pending though they received the check a long time ago.

Anyone else? @spudnik187 what did yours say leading up to delivery?

Thanks all
Same. I asked my ISA and she said everything is fine...

You going to go by and look for our cars this weekend???

Same. I asked my ISA and she said everything is fine...

You going to go by and look for our cars this weekend???

I casually dropped it as a suggestion for a morning “swing by” this morning to my wife and she almost rolled her eyes out of the car.

It’s her car by the way!!!!

But yes I plan on going tomorrow morning but I don’t remember the setup and if there was gates and locked places that can’t be accessed. I thought there was just one big parking lot if my memory serves me.

I know I’ve asked but shoot me your VIN abbreviate and config so I can keep it in my notes if we end up going.

Wow that is a crazy quote to run it 20 feet. Just for reference mine was about 130' of wire. It was run from my panel on the left side of my house up the brick in conduit into my 1st floor attic. It was converted in a junction box to romex then fished from the first floor attic to the 2nd floor attic. Then fished down an exterior wall from the second floor attic to the small attic above my 3rd car garage bay. Then across that bay down the wall to where the plug was going to be. The total was $1700. Then keep in mind that the permit costs were about $200 so they charged me $1500 for an entire day of two electricians and about $300 worth of wiring/conduit/hardware. I think it was a fair price.

If it was a simple job and the panel was already in my house I would have probably done it myself. I have an EE degree though.

No joke. I'm an architect, so I asked my Electrical engineers a lot of questions too! I see you were #105 in Austin. Where on the building did that put you? I was about 20' wrapped around the back of the building - Trying to gauge my number in line.