Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice write-up.

The regenerative braking did take a while for me to get the hang of (truth be told I'm still getting the hang of it almost 24 hours later)....

The Bolt is a little different than Teslas in regen. I'll likely need a little acclimating in the other direction because the Bolt's regen is more aggressive, goes all the way to a dead stop, and it's got the extra steering wheel paddle to kick up the regen a small notch further so I very rarely touch the brake pedal at all. However, yeah it should be really quick to get used to. You'll learn the foot control ease off the pedal partially to feather into the regen de-acceleration rather than what is likely your current habit of letting off the coast.

I don't know if you'll have another ICE you will still drive but that's the part that freaked my wife out. Within a few days driving (work commute only) she got so used to the one-pedal mode in the Bolt that when she got back in the Camry Hybrid on the weekend her habit she'd built of relying on the regen scared her a bit. So now she only uses the softer regen mode. I pushed through and learned to switch my brain between but be aware this is could be a thing if it applies to your situation. *shrug*

EDIT: I will admit though that I still occasionally tap my left fingers on the back of the Camry steering wheel meaning to slow down a bit faster and/or interrupt cruise control. :rolleyes:

Some notes my ISA sent over last night in my delivery confirmation email:

Requests for changes to paperwork, such as adding additional registrants, cannot be accommodated on delivery day.
Please ensure that Model 3 is on your insurance policy at the time of delivery.
Please bring valid driver’s license for all registrants.
Still setup for March 8th, 11AM in Dallas

Curious, why did you do Dallas instead of Austin?

I got this in my email just for comparison from my ISA:
Your payment and paperwork has already been completed so all you will need at delivery is a valid driver’s license and up-to-date insurance policy.

I will look for yours when I am there and so happy our time is coming next week!!!

Sorry y'all. I didn't get home until 2:00 this morning because my buddies insisted I keep driving them around and I was exhausted. I had to get up early, too, so I'm going off of very little sleep. Forgive me for what follows..

Like someone else said, it was amazing to feel your excitement through text as a new owner. Some may scoff, some may take it as fanboyism, and I admit I was one of those skeptics...until I test drove my S.

They call it the Tesla Smile, the Tesla Grin that doesnt go away even after stepping out of the car or taking steps as you approach the car getting excited to drive it again.

These cars sell themselves and I advise my friends and family that before you get in and I let you drive, be prepared to buy one as you will not want to drive anything else after. 3 family members now own Teslas. They speak for themselves.

Congratulations and welcome to the family!!

Reactions: benjiejr
Curious, why did you do Dallas instead of Austin?

I got this in my email just for comparison from my ISA:
Your payment and paperwork has already been completed so all you will need at delivery is a valid driver’s license and up-to-date insurance policy.

I will look for yours when I am there and so happy our time is coming next week!!!

The family member involved in the reservation lives in Dallas, so doing it up there so he can be there with me.

Like someone else said, it was amazing to feel your excitement through text as a new owner. Some may scoff, some may take it as fanboyism, and I admit I was one of those skeptics...until I test drove my S.

They call it the Tesla Smile, the Tesla Grin that doesnt go away even after stepping out of the car or taking steps as you approach the car getting excited to drive it again.

These cars sell themselves and I advise my friends and family that before you get in and I let you drive, be prepared to buy one as you will not want to drive anything else after. 3 family members now own Teslas. They speak for themselves.

Congratulations and welcome to the family!!
I already had two buddies make reservations and I think another 1 or 2 are going to pull the trigger if their wives let them.

@spudnik187 congrats on getting your car!

I am an early line waiter in Austin and am anxiously awaiting my invite. I just thought I would chime in and say that I saw your car on Friday. It must have been just off the truck when I saw it. I have seen 4 Model 3's around town but didn't know what color I want so I figured I would drive by the service center to see if they had any. I must have been very lucky because I got to see all the cars off the truck. There were 7 model 3's in the parking lot. 3 blues, 2 white, 1 midnight silver, and 1 silver. I live south so I never go by the service center so boy was I lucky that the cars were there.

I also had a coworker that went by the service center Friday night and he said there were only 4 so they must have pulled 3 inside or something.

Anyway congrats on your purchase! I sure can't wait to get mine even though I get disgruntled about not getting my invite yet :)

I already had two buddies make reservations and I think another 1 or 2 are going to pull the trigger if their wives let them.

See! :)

I get it with the S and X as those are out of a large percentage of many drivers price range..including mine minus some accounting gymnastics and such.

The 3 isnt exactly value priced either especially in the current configurations. When/if they ever get to mass producing these things at the $35k range even in the SR version and people experience what we are talking about, we will see a revolutionary growth in the sector and for Tesla.

I get it with the S and X as those are out of a large percentage of many drivers price range..including mine minus some accounting gymnastics and such.

The 3 isnt exactly value priced either especially in the current configurations. When/if they ever get to mass producing these things at the $35k range even in the SR version and people experience what we are talking about, we will see a revolutionary growth in the sector and for Tesla.

Day Two update: Man, I love this car. Much better on the regenerative braking so far today. Took some co-workers out and none of them felt sick. Progress ;) Also setup my garage door opener with Homelink. Works great and it's a small but nice thing not to have to mess with anymore.

Looks like I will be going to dinner with the boss, but he changed his flight to be early tomorrow morning and has no desire to stay out late tonight. I could meet up after dinner if anyone wants to see it before it heads back to the SC for service. We'll be up in the north part of town. I don't mind coming south a bit, but I'd prefer not to go too far south into actual downtown.

Totally agree. If they get the production part right (and that's a big if), it's going to be ON. One of my co-workers owns several relatively high-performance cars, including a mega tricked out Toyota Supra. Even he was blown away. I don't know how anyone who actually gets in one of these could not want one. At $35k, it will be within reach of a large number of people.

@spudnik187 congrats on getting your car!

I am an early line waiter in Austin and am anxiously awaiting my invite. I just thought I would chime in and say that I saw your car on Friday. It must have been just off the truck when I saw it. I have seen 4 Model 3's around town but didn't know what color I want so I figured I would drive by the service center to see if they had any. I must have been very lucky because I got to see all the cars off the truck. There were 7 model 3's in the parking lot. 3 blues, 2 white, 1 midnight silver, and 1 silver. I live south so I never go by the service center so boy was I lucky that the cars were there.

I also had a coworker that went by the service center Friday night and he said there were only 4 so they must have pulled 3 inside or something.

Anyway congrats on your purchase! I sure can't wait to get mine even though I get disgruntled about not getting my invite yet :)
I also went by last Friday night, which was a bad idea in hindsight because it made the last 72 hours of waiting that much worse.

Day Two update: Man, I love this car. Much better on the regenerative braking so far today. Took some co-workers out and none of them felt sick. Progress ;) Also setup my garage door opener with Homelink. Works great and it's a small but nice thing not to have to mess with anymore.

You'll know your indoctrination is complete when you start leaving your non-Tesla car(s) unlocked because you didn't even think about locking it as you walked away ;).

So I just got my overnight fedex package and as someone said here if states to do it pre delivery not to “delay” your shipping.

I can drop it off tomorrow but they don’t overnight on weekends for delivery I don’t think to Tesla. Scheduled delivery is Tuesday.

Will be interesting to see if this impacts it.

Really though the car should be at the SC already no? How many days do they get it early for prep? Anyone know

So I just got my overnight fedex package and as someone said here if states to do it pre delivery not to “delay” your shipping.

I can drop it off tomorrow but they don’t overnight on weekends for delivery I don’t think to Tesla. Scheduled delivery is Tuesday.

Will be interesting to see if this impacts it.

Really though the car should be at the SC already no? How many days do they get it early for prep? Anyone know
Can you upload a picture of that letter, or the exact copy? Want to double confirm with my ISA.