Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Hold Up!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an update from Austin Pond Springs that my car is in Oklahoma and not on a truck to Austin. Scheduled for delivery on 9/5 at 11am.

Is this Oklahoma news good or bad news from everyone's prior experience?
Generally bad news, but things may be changing in that regard.

For reference my car sat in Oklahoma for a month (may still be there, I'm going to call today).

Hello. Just joined as this place looks way friendlier than the nasty forums at Tesla.com.

I’m still waiting for a VIN. Sad to see all the trouble with deliveries to TX. I’m going to explore delivery in Fremont since I travel there frequently. . Anyone done that?

As far as moving out actual delivery days, can you ask your IDA to text you an pic of your car so you know to keep the appointment?

Hello. Just joined as this place looks way friendlier than the nasty forums at Tesla.com.

I’m still waiting for a VIN. Sad to see all the trouble with deliveries to TX. I’m going to explore delivery in Fremont since I travel there frequently. . Anyone done that?

As far as moving out actual delivery days, can you ask your IDA to text you an pic of your car so you know to keep the appointment?

The only way I would have considered picking up in Fremont (I travel there as well) is if it would have saved me some money on delivery/destination fee but you still pay that. Although it would be a cool experience I didn't have the need to put all those miles on it right away.

I don't think IDA's are based anywhere near the vehicles, mine (Jennifer) is in Las Vegas I believe.

Hey Austin folks there is a new batch at Pond Springs
Screenshot_20180829-111339_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hindsight is 20/20, I would take that option if I knew shipping to Texas is this chaotic, I have so many miles and hotel points that I can waste on a trip to Fremont…

As for the pictures I don't see why you can't ask, the problem is will they do it even if they agree to.

So my UPS My Choice account just informed me that I have a delivery coming from (Ruby Has NV) Las Vegas tomorrow. I haven't bought anything online that's just shipped, so I'm wondering if this is my paperwork. My delivery is still scheduled in Austin for Sept 10th.

@amietk thanks for posting the Austin delivery updates. There's one VIN on there close to mine, while that probably doesn't mean anything, it gets me excited.

I emailed my IDA this morning just to see if she can tell whether delivery is still on schedule or not, but no response yet. I kind of don't expect one, either. She only contacts me when there's actual information to be given.

@JGard Awesome I hope that means your paperwork is on its way! Yeah, I email Tiffany the yesterday but still have not heard back. I plan to call later today to figure out where my vehicle actually is located. Also, no luck in my UPS account but some other folks reportedly got their paperwork via fedex.

Regarding Delivery Time based on United Road post from today:
VIN 47337 was brought from Fremont to Lathop on 7/12 and not delivered to Pond Springs till today 8/29? 46 days? And how long to prep?

There has got to be a better way.

As soon as mine is within 100 miles of any TX Tesla service center, I will get AAA to tow it for free to the service center.

@JGard Awesome I hope that means your paperwork is on its way! Yeah, I email Tiffany the yesterday but still have not heard back. I plan to call later today to figure out where my vehicle actually is located. Also, no luck in my UPS account but some other folks reportedly got their paperwork via fedex.
There's a chance it could be my rear trunk mat that I ordered from the Tesla store, but I haven't been emailed saying it's shipped yet, so I don't think it's that. We'll see...

Welcome!!!

Just understand if you take delivery in Fremont, you have to pay registration / tax in California. The tax in Texas is waived if it was registered in California. But the tax rate is a bit higher, I don't recall how much, and there is no refund/rebate. So you will be paying a bit more. Something around 1% but I don't remember for sure.

Review of Texas Deliveries Times: (please anyone correct me)

Built: Fremont: Car is made - > 7 days
Transport: Fremont to Lathrop via truck - 1 day
Stored: Lathrop: up to 14 days
Transport: Lathrop to Oklahoma City Storage - 4 days?
Stored: OKC - 14 days
Transport: OKC to Alliance Dallas rail hub - 2 days?
Stored: Alliance Dallas rail hub - 14 days?
Transport: Alliance Dallas rail hub to Dallas or Austin - 1 day
Storage: Dallas Cedar Springs - prep- up to 7 days
Total the car is sitting out in the sun, not getting charged, and fully paid: 57 days?

I assume United transports the northern route through Albuquerque to OKC because the southern route through Phoenix will take longer? (see Google maps)

Has any Austin person with a car in a holding lot (Oklahoma) -ever- seen their VIN come through on United Road? The Origin for the cars on United Road always seems to be Lathrop, never Oklahoma, etc. I suppose that could always mean Lathrop is the ultimate origin.

Just wondering if maybe the Oklahoma -> Austin transport service is a different one than UR.

Welcome!!!

The tax rate is a bit higher, I don't recall how much, and there is no refund/rebate. So you will be paying a bit more. Something around 1% but I don't remember for sure.

The taxes, depending on the county, will be at least 4% higher, I also looked at picking up in CA, but would have cost me at least $700 more, plus the time and money to transport back to Texas. Shipping the car yourself would be an option, and would cost about $600 bucks. So, you could get the car shipped from Fremont to TX directly, and NOT pay taxes in CA.

Here is the interesting question: If you don't have your car for up to 50 days, for the AWD LR model costs you about $800 bucks a month for the loan, then at what point is it cheaper to just try to ship it from Fremont yourself.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
Just called the Austin Pond Springs service center, and my car is still in Oklahoma. Guy was super apologetic and friendly as always, but man it this frustrating. He did say they (now?) have a text message system that will let me know when my car moves. Is that a new initiative to try to alleviate this situation?

Just called the Austin Pond Springs service center, and my car is still in Oklahoma. Guy was super apologetic and friendly as always, but man it this frustrating. He did say they (now?) have a text message system that will let me know when my car moves. Is that a new initiative to try to alleviate this situation?
Sounds like a new initiative to alleviate us calling them. My guess is they are extremely tired of getting phone calls regarding vehicles trapped in OKC or Fort Worth. Did they sign you up for text messages?

Reactions: SleepingLesson
That's new to me. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I for one would like to get in on this text message program.