Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas refuses to renew registration of Tesla M3 without emissions test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 12.15.45 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: totoro722
We don't have emissions testing down here in southern Utah, but from what I've seen so far, Utah has it figured out. You will find that your registration renewal is more expensive on your Tesla than your ICE vehicles, because we don't pay any state tax on gasoline. So they get their nickel from you out of registration fees, instead. And it looks like their system has Tesla's flagged for not needing emissions testing, as well as paying higher registration fees.
yea....just like California.....new wifes renewal was increased by $165....Cant wait to see what my "S" increased by (2020)

Wow, I don’t say this often, but it’s great to live in NJ!

- no sales tax on EVs
- $5000 rebate on new purchase & leases
- no inspections needed (so no ugly windshield sticker either!)
- great solar program
- low registration costs ($71.50 annually)
- HOV lane access indefinitely

Of course, our property taxes make up for all of it. LOL

Yeah, but you have to live in NJ...

- no sales tax on EVs
- great solar program

Don’t worry. They’ll get around to fleecing EV owners sooner or later. The lure of the tax dollar is too great for politicians.

Don’t worry. They’ll get around to fleecing EV owners sooner or later. The lure of the tax dollar is too great for politicians.

oh absolutely - have to enjoy it while we’ve got it.

We’re just a tool right now while they thump the “we’re green!” chest. Once we’re worth more than marketing, they’ll come for our dollars for sure!

When I purchased our first Tesla - a 2013 S P85 in Jan 2013, it was one of the few Model S vehicles in our area (got stopped at traffic lights, restaurants, ...).

At the time, Tesla didn't have any service centers in Texas - it was up to me to get the vehicle inspected and handle the sales tax/license plate registration.

When I took the S to a nearby small garage for inspection, it was the first Tesla they had inspected - and it was pretty funny to see the open the front trunk looking for the engine...

Though once they realized it was an electric vehicle, they skipped the emission testing, and we haven't had any problem with state inspections for our Tesla vehicles.

- no sales tax on EVs
- great solar program

I live in NJ and am not aware of HOV lane access in either NJ or NY. Can you provide some info?