Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Supercharger Locations (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going down to Austin on 6-14 (also by ICE) and will try to check out 299.

Excellent. Incidentally, we've made the trip from Allen to Austin a couple of times, and if you have the 85KWH pack it's pretty easy unless the weather is rainy. Assuming you have the 85 and enough time to recharge when you are there, you should consider taking the S. There is a pretty well developed charging infrastructure in town including free chargers in downtown Georgetown. You can't go 80 mph, but between 65-70 should get you to downtown pretty easily.

I understand that circumstances matter, and if you need a car to get around while you are in town and/or no time to charge and/or you are heading a bit south of Austin, then it is still an ICE trip. Likely your last one down I-35.

Andy

I understand that circumstances matter, and if you need a car to get around while you are in town and/or no time to charge and/or you are heading a bit south of Austin, then it is still an ICE trip. Likely your last one down I-35.
I actually need to take delivery before I can attempt the drive. :D In any event, I do hope this is the last ICE trip down I-35!

If anyone looking at this board lives between Georgetown and Waco, it would be awesome if they wanted to do a little scouting in Temple. Exit 299 looks most likely to me.
If the dot placement for Temple is accurate, that would first suggest the SE corner of exit 299, but that's not a "great" location. It's kind of a tired strip mall with an AT&T Store and a Luby's next door. I wonder if the more likely location is Temple Mall, two miles E?

If the dot placement for Temple is accurate, that would first suggest the SE corner of exit 299, but that's not a "great" location. It's kind of a tired strip mall with an AT&T Store and a Luby's next door. I wonder if the more likely location is Temple Mall, two miles E?

If you are looking at my dots/"x's", they are definitely not accurate enough to go to which corner of the intersection.

I doubt they would move people two miles off the interstate. The other three corners of 35 and 190 look more promising to me though. My first choice would be NW corner triad with Starbucks, Five Guys and BJ's; SW is meh with McDonald's Chili's and IHOP; NE is Cracker Barrel and Olive Garden. All three would be well lit with reasonable business hours.

I tried to get a better map for us Texan's. This is the best jpg I could make. It's large for better viewing.
SuperChargersTXArea.jpg

I'm going down to Austin on 6-14 (also by ICE) and will try to check out 299.

Still no permits pulled for Temple, TX under any of the names I would have expected and it seems kind of late for something that's supposed to be done by the end of the month. I wonder if the SC might not be in Belton. I'm only going to be able to check a couple of locations.

Does anyone know the exact location of the supercharger station between Dallas/Ft.Worth and Austin? Or maybe the one between Dallas/Ft.Worth and Houston? They said they should be online before the end of June. So They must be nearly finished at this point. I have some free time this weekend and I'd like to take a drive (in my Volt) and look at one of them and take some photos. But I can't seem to figure out where they are. If they haven't released the exact location, does anyone have any guess as to where they'd be located?

Shreveport and Texarkana are conspicuously absent. To go east from DFW you have to use OKC or Houston? Surely this will be remedied later.

My thoughts exactly. My girlfriend's family is in Longview and if I have to plug into a 15A outlet to charge for my return drive, I'll be there a WHOLE LOT longer than I would ever want to!

In all seriousness, it would seem that you could expect a SC in Tyler or Kilgore along I20. In the meantime, I'm happy to avoid east texas for the time being ;-)

Shreveport and Texarkana are conspicuously absent. To go east from DFW you have to use OKC or Houston? Surely this will be remedied later.

Atlanta has weird gaps like that too. Nothing going west at all.

Looking at Tesla's dots, it looks like dots for 2014 are about 1/2 as many as there should be.

My guess Tesla just carpeted a map for dot coverage after 2013 dots (which seem thought out).
The 2014 dots look like they were placed on Interstates for coverage. Not heavily though out as to how they would/could be used.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the locations of the 2014 dots. I bet there are plenty more, and many move when they finally get put in.

I think I actually posted this on a different thread today, but I am (the) Temple Model S owner, and there has not been any obviously build-out yet here. There are only a few likely locations where it would be and still nothing :(

Oh, and +1 on the supercharger party
@ Stephenpace it would be good to follow up on our Galleria conversation, back in the days before the short squeeze :biggrin:

I think I actually posted this on a different thread today, but I am (the) Temple Model S owner, and there has not been any obviously build-out yet here. There are only a few likely locations where it would be and still nothing :(

Sigh. Thanks for the post. "The end of next month" is knocking on the door. Perhaps the location will be a bit of a surprise. I will be really disappointed if we don't get an operational charger within the next few weeks. The kids and I typically make 3 or 4 trips to Canyon Lake/New Braunfels this time of year.

Andy

Sigh. Thanks for the post. "The end of next month" is knocking on the door. Perhaps the location will be a bit of a surprise. I will be really disappointed if we don't get an operational charger within the next few weeks. The kids and I typically make 3 or 4 trips to Canyon Lake/New Braunfels this time of year.

Andy

Today, the folks at the Austin store said the AUS-DFW supercharger will definitely be done by the end of the month. They had no clue where it was being installed, though.

I live in Temple (yay.) and there is no evidence of one here yet, and there are obviously only a few places that it could be located. Definitely looked like it would be here on the dot-map.

There haven't been any permits issued in Temple under the names I would expect, so you're probably right. Maybe Belton? It can't be too far north from Remple, if it's that direction.

Yesterday I travelled from dallas to Austin and stopped at the Starbucks in Waco. Right behind it noticed that the land is being cleared. That would be an awesome location for the supercharger station -walking distance to many restaurants and Starbucks :)