Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The BUGS! AAARGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some strange reason, my car's favorite food is bugs. He loves to just munch them up traveling to Kettleman City and around. He for some odd reason attracts more dead bugs than any other car I've had, even my Model X. Every time we go places in my car it gets splattered with bugs. Overall, the Model 3 seems to attract bugs like crazy. (Bright headlights tied to radar because mine seem to accumulate around where the radar is in the bumper) I don't know why but it's getting annoying to wipe off after every 1+ hour drive. Anyone have the same experience and please include pics so we can see where they mostly accumulate on the bumper.Trust me, I am not crazy just fed up with cleaning this sh** off.
Gonna talk to Tesla when I get enough pics.
This is after 150 miles.
View attachment 328626

That's nothing compared to mine.. :)

Attachments

• TeslaBugs1.jpg
    TeslaBugs1.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 495
Reactions: Jedi2155
Reading this thread would make you believe that the new Lexus does not collect flying insects (the gaping maw just eats them up).

Seriously .... it's seasonal, and geographic. Down south it's "love-bugs" they are unavoidable. In Utah, any vehicle driving past Willard Bay (Brigham City) will be covered. In Nevada and Arizona it's too hot ..... very few bugs.

Wait until winter .... Tesla will solve the problem for you. (and all the other vehicles on the road). (and it's free).

Reading this thread would make you believe that the new Lexus does not collect flying insects (the gaping maw just eats them up).

Seriously .... it's seasonal, and geographic. Down south it's "love-bugs" they are unavoidable. In Utah, any vehicle driving past Willard Bay (Brigham City) will be covered. In Nevada and Arizona it's too hot ..... very few bugs.

Wait until winter .... Tesla will solve the problem for you. (and all the other vehicles on the road). (and it's free).
No, it is not same with every car. For Model 3 it is more pronounced because of front bumper flat high pressure zone. It is easier to clean model 3 with flat surface.

OMG those photos are disgusting! Use to remember having impaled bugs on cars when living back East but thankfully in our area doesn't seem to be such a problem. No real mosquito issues either being so hot and dry I guess. Or maybe birds in our area are fat and fuller LOL. One of the reasons I like the area though.

Funny I just watched a video yesterday showing someone using Turtlewax Bug and Tar remover foam on his pickup truck grill. Said it didn't work well on tar or tree sap but really liked it for bugs and it was economical too. Sprayed it on, said he could leave it on for 3-5 minutes without damage to paint and used a microcloth and water I think to wipe away. At least our Teslas don't have all that grill work to hit your fingers into while cleaning.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ormond
Driving to kettleman city-then fresno tomorrow to drop ice at animal shelters throughout the central valley. Thats gonna be a buggy front end tomorrow night.

Dropping 800lb of ice at each shelter because thats how much fits in the model 3.
upload_2018-8-25_11-28-56.png

Gonna apply carpro reload to bumper and carpro forte to windshield.
Any suggestions?

My white 3 has the same problem. What's a good wax to use on the front of the car to make it easier to clean?
I don’t know where in the burg you are, but if you can get to Grabiak in New Alexandria talk to Ray or one of the other guys, they can set you up with anything you could need to help keep the car clean. It isn’t far from the New Hundington supercharger.

0E22D42D-379D-4265-AEE7-7BFD683F891E.jpeg
Just drove up to Monterey from Orange County yesterday for Monterey Car Week and the weekend in San Francisco.

The Car is Ceramic Pro coated. I don’t have pictures of all the bugs, but after a high pressure rinse + spotless rinse the car is bug free. (But the spotfree rinse wasn’t completely spot free... theres spots on the windows and much less noticeable spots on the body... the coin wash owner probably hasn’t refilled the spotless rinse filters).

I’ll do a more proper 2 bucket wash + spot free rinse with my SimpleChuck when I get home.

I wish I could complain about cleaning bugs off my Model 3! It would mean I have one already, and managed to take a few road trips already. :p

Being serious though, I've read up on various coatings on the forums, and the general consensus seems to be that ceramic makes the car easier to clean, and it's fairly durable. I'll likely put ceramic on my future 3.

These bug pics are a primary reason I chose the silver paint (and then wrapped it). Their guts are less noticeable against the silver color, and they come off incredibly easily once I'm done with the road trip thanks to the wrap. Silver FTW.