Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The car that keeps giving...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of interest, if the M3 is plugged in but not charging, does it precondition using mains power, rather than the battery?

I've noticed that the i3 will always switch the charger on if it's plugged in and use mains power, rather than the battery to precondition, which I guess reduces the impact it has on range.

Out of interest, if the M3 is plugged in but not charging, does it precondition using mains power, rather than the battery?

I've noticed that the i3 will always switch the charger on if it's plugged in and use mains power, rather than the battery to precondition, which I guess reduces the impact it has on range.
It’ll use mains power

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
It’ll use mains power
Hey!

I was wondering if this is actually the case, as when I have my car plugged in but at charge limit, when HVAC is on the battery seems to drain then charge quite often, as though the HVAC power is coming from battery and the charger kicks in intermittently to keep the battery topped up.

It seems weird that this is how it would work, so I'm sure my.observarions are wrong....

My observation is that if the car has finished charging and I start the Climate Control the power draw will initially peak at around 7kWh and then gradually reduce until it settles around 2kWh(ish).
From looking at my meter it doesn’t seem to draw from the battery at all...
Well, that's good. I must admit, I've not been very scientific about it, more suspicious than anything!

This is my assumption:- It goes through the battery - the charge port only delivers energy to the Rectifier (AC->DC) and into the battery, there's no route from AC direct to HVAC or from the rectifier direct to HVAC etc. You can test this because a fullycharged car won't draw AC the second you turn on HVAC, it sips AC power when needed to top up the battery back to the charge limit.

I had a meeting at my daughter's school early this morning. When I finished the meeting and left the building to head to work, the outside temp was about 32F, slightly drizzling, and windy. As the meeting concluded, I opened the app and turned on the car's heater. Upon leaving the building, I stood in the nice warm vestibule and summoned the car to the front door, watching the car turn its wipers on, signal as it pulled out of the parking space, and very carefully drive itself along the front of the building to stop right at the front door. I stepped out of the vestibule and walked a mere ten feet into a snuggly warm car.

The people who walked me to the door were blown away by all this.
Beautiful!!!

So, I can't speak for the OP, but...

No, it's not unique to Tesla, but there seem to be no more than five other cars out there that claim "remote pre-conditioning," and I'm not even sure that it's at the level of control that Tesla gives.

But, on top of that, as others have said, this is a car that keeps getting better with just OTA updates (including "Summon"). Not too many cars can say that...
I presume that other makes also have selective seat heating also just like Tesla.