Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cybertruck is more expensive to supercharge than a Ford F-150 costs in gas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on the price of gas, EV charging only saves me 10% to 15% and I charge at home during off-peak. Agree, if you don’t have a home charger don’t buy an EV. I’ve never had the need to use a SC, I‘ve got down to single digits but made it home. I did try a SC once just to make sure it worked, all I’ll say is the Taco’s next door were good.

That’s insanely low. When was the last time you looked at the price, 1970?
We pay 8.16 cents/kwh in Vancouver WA Never charge away from home. But then I have plenty of range for my dally needs. Have owned three MS’s since 2013 with free supercharging but rarely used it.

Reactions: cpaull
That's insane. We pay .05/kwh at home.
Santee Cooper in South Carolina (if that's your utility) has regular residential rates as well as EV experimental rates. If you are on the EV rate, there is a monthly charge of $19.50 and then on peak energy is 25 cents/kWh, off-peak energy is 9 cents/kWh and super off-peak is 4 cents/kWh. Not really fair to ignore the monthly service fee and claim 5 cent energy all the time...

Reactions: finman100
Santee Cooper in South Carolina (if that's your utility) has regular residential rates as well as EV experimental rates. If you are on the EV rate, there is a monthly charge of $19.50 and then on peak energy is 25 cents/kWh, off-peak energy is 9 cents/kWh and super off-peak is 4 cents/kWh. Not really fair to ignore the monthly service fee and claim 5 cent energy all the time...

Nope, MCEC...no EV charge rates. Off-peak is .0515 per kWh

Odd that you tried to prove that wrong and then just randomly picked a company and went with it.

hmm ... this doesn't seem possible but maybe if you don't calculate everything in.
My realistic and relatable cost to supercharging is:
cost_per_kWh = total_bill / kWh_used
Again, my off-peak rate is .0515 kwh. Last month I used a 1,826 kWh for a total of $93.94, I had $23 of on-peak charges, $5.75 for subdivision lighting, $28.05 account charge, and $9.37 for franchise fee for a total of $160.1. The highest bill I've seen in the 6 years of living here (with 2-3 Teslas) was about $230.

I was considering the CT but after looking at what it will cost to charge, I thought it’s just a non starter.

We just got Solar but the CT would likely push me well into not having enough production to cover it.

CT gets about half the MPGe that my Model S does (EPA is 240 wh/mile my lifetime is 280 wh/mile and I often tow). Which barely saves on fuel costs. And has just enough range that I typically don’t have to supercharge.

We pay $0.32/kwh at home.

I came to the conclusion that the most efficient thing closest to a “Truck” (something that can tow) is the Model X. Which I might consider (again, I had a 2019 Raven) if it gets another major refresh (like 48V, Ethernet bus, 240V plug etc). Rivian and Lightning are just as bad as CT.

My biggest needs from a truck is towing and clearance (for snow and mud).
Sounds like you need to Safari (lifted car) an S or an X and make your own version :)

The main problem I see with this OPs chart, which I dont know if its on purpose or not, is that they have the gas prices starting $2.50 a gallon (which there are some states in the US that have prices that low), but Electricity prices in those same states are not .35 cents a kWh.

Thats in addition to acting like a supercharger is the only way people are going to "fuel" the vehicle.

Its the same thing a lot of people do when they try to make this comparison. Its not possible to prove "intent", so who knows if this is deliberate, but given how much effort looks like went into the first post, it doesnt feel like an accident.

The main problem I see with this OPs chart, which I dont know if its on purpose or not, is that they have the gas prices starting $2.50 a gallon (which there are some states in the US that have prices that low), but Electricity prices in those same states are not .35 cents a kWh.

Thats in addition to acting like a supercharger is the only way people are going to "fuel" the vehicle.

Its the same thing a lot of people do when they try to make this comparison. Its not possible to prove "intent", so who knows if this is deliberate, but given how much effort looks like went into the first post, it doesnt feel like an accident.

Current US average price for a gallon of gas is $3.19 (plus 9/10ths of a cent)

Best case for EVs is charging where electricity rates are low, because generation is done by Hydro.
Worst case is chargeing where electricity rates are high because generation is done by Coal or Oil burning.
Greedy high tax state usually make both electicity and fuel expensive.
Maybe for one or two states, however acrross the board, the states where electricity is cheap, it is due to nuclear and coal.
"Green" energy is significantly more expensive in majority of states.

For instance, in Philadelphia, there are superchargers with around $.15 or so rates... across the bridge in NJ, it is $.38 to $.46.

That is frankly pretty deluded thinking, typically associated with those living in small box, tightly surrounded by others in small boxes. Those of us that live in or spend a large amount of time in nature know that your car isn't the primary issue. It's the constant destruction of land and nature, to build more tiny concrete boxes. So yes, I do care about that a lot. Yet the same people who claim they want to preserve the planet, are also allowing millions to illegally pour across our border, which will require a high impact and destruction of natural resources. They're clearly not sincere. In terms of an EV, you also need to put on higher than average miles to account for the greater manufacturing impact, and the lifetime of the battery. I do, as I put on ~30k miles a year. If people claim they want to preserve nature, they need to walk the walk, and not just virtue signal BS.
Stop making sense... didn't you get the memo that burning a lot more fossil fuels to put up non-degradable plastic wind turbine blades (that use a crap ton of oil for lubrication and kill tons of wildlife).... AND using resources to make new plastic parts and battery components with children mining rare earth minerals in Africa.... and of course, paying more in taxes.... THAT is how we keep the environment clean....

The best thing for the environment would be for people to keep driving their shitboxes until they fully fall apart, THEN getting an EV or Hydrogen, OR public transporation or a bicycle... ONLY when they need to.

Majority of US and Western consumers unfortunately do not keep their vehicles long enough to overcome the environmental damage done by simply producing their shiny new "green" vehicle.

Never once did I get 24mpg in my 3.5L Eco F150. Still a great truck. But if you buy an EV and can only supercharge, you are stupid or just a glutton for punishment
should of bought a diesel. =) My friends routinely get 30+ in their GM diesels.

In any case... quite a few friends who live in urban areas or cities, only supercharge. They do not have access to a garage, OR live in such old homes that putting in a Level 2 charger would be cost prohibitive due to needing complete panel and service upgrades.

The people on this forum are unique... they are actually interested in efficiency.... your average Tesla or EV owner on the other hand, does not come here and uses it.

And for my friends in Las Vegas... their home electricity rates are higher than what we pay for supercharging here in PA.

In general, DC charging costs about the same or more than gas.

Quick and dirty formula is X mpg / Y mi/kWh * Z $/kWh = equivalent gasoline cost

Example:
20 mpg truck / 2 mi/kWh = 10 * $0.35 = $3.50 per gallon equivalent, comparable on cost but of course not on time.

However, if the charger is at place where you already needed to be for that amount of time (grocery store, big box store, movies, etc), the time factor is zero'd out. You can charge and do your other thing at the same time. You cannot pump gasoline and do the other thing at the same time.

or, if your home electricity cost is the US national average ~$0.15/kWh, that's $1.50/gallon gasoline equivalent (where you get the most savings)

of course, they're EVs back in early 1900s but now EVs are becoming mainstream. Folks comparing ICE & EVs aren't doing justice. ICEs have been here too long and it's not making any substantial improvement. Meanwhile, over 90% of the drive is commuting-EVs make sense b/c Stop & Go drive in EVs is regen & recharge while Stop & Go for ICE is adding too much Wears & Tears on all the parts in the vehicles.

I recently watched a range test on YouTube where a Cybertruck was driven at 70mph at a steady state under decent weather conditions until it could not drive. The truck got around 254 miles of range and consumed around 500 wh/mile, approximately.

Here's what that would cost per 100 miles at current supercharger rates across the US:
$0.35/kWh​
$0.40/kWh​
$0.45/kWh​
Cybertruck (500wh/mile)
$17.50/100 miles​
$20.00/100 miles​
$22.50/100 miles​

Here's what a Ford F-150 would cost per 100 miles at current gas prices across the US:
$2.50/gallon​
$3.50/gallon​
$4.50/gallon​
3.5L EcoBoost (24mpg)
$10.42/100 miles​
$14.58/100 miles​
$18.75/100 miles​
5.0L (18mpg)
$13.89/100 miles​
$19.44/100 miles​
$25.00/100 miles​

At these prices, the F-150 ends up being cheaper to drive under most conditions while also being quicker to fuel up and unrestricted by charging station locations. Here is a MPG equivalency chart at cost basis:
$0.35/kWh​
$0.40/kWh​
$0.45/kWh​
$2.50/gallon
14 mpg
13 mpg
11 mpg
$3.50/gallon
20 mpg
18 mpg
16 mpg
$4.50/gallon
26 mpg
23 mpg
20 mpg

If comparing against the EcoBoost 3.5L, there's only one scenario where the Cybertruck comes out ahead (and just barely): $4.50/gallon gas and $0.35/kWh supercharger rates.

Now this is a very simplified analysis and doesn't take into account the following:
  • Purchase price and depreciation.
  • Home charging.
  • "Fun to drive" and acceleration.
  • Cold weather effects on charging and efficiency.
  • Maintenance costs and time lost to oil changes, etc...
  • The social costs to CO2 emissions and air pollution.
Otherwise, let me know if I am missing something obvious in the analysis above.
Solar makes mine free to charge at home and I get free charging at work too. Where are you seeing SC rates @ 0.45/kWh?

I used GasBuddy’s heat map and supercharging prices from inside Tesla’s app. Texas has gas prices of ~$2.50 and supercharging prices of ~$0.35. Also, my post is only about supercharging and I thought that was clear. I got rid of my gas cars and make the same argument from the other side for those who don’t drive EVs. :) I just find it interesting that supercharging is this expensive (or that gas is this cheap!) — that’s my main motivation for the post.